Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just picked up a 1956 GMC 100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopperrob, Jul 31, 2011.

1. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

Here it is. runs down the road pretty good. Drove it home about 100 miles, the front end sucks! bump steer bad wanders all over but still fun to drive. Im gonna buff it up and drive it till winter then ill put an ifs and some power discs on it. probably paint it and go with some bigger wheels...never been a fan of the moons and my hates them so that gives me a permission slip lol. like the way the rear sits, its a 70 chevelle 12 bolt on top of the springs. I wanna drop the front about two more inches. Whats everyone run for wheels? im thinking 18" back and 17" front. it has 350 sbc ,400 turbo 390 posi. Rolled and tucked white and red interior body is pretty solid.

Attached Files:

2. chevyshack

chevyshack

Nice truck. Im not a traditional type of guy. Id lose the wheels myself. Everyone has them. If you keep them then maybe paint the centers to match the truck. Theres to much sidewall on the rubber also. Maybe get some white walls if you want to be traditional. Id go white letters if it where mine.

3. slammed

slammed

Pop the center caps off it now. Thin white walls. 17-18" rims? Not here. That is a modern trend. Your wanting the rear lower than the ft? That is a tail dragger/ La Bomba look that really needs the correct wheel's.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I love the looks of '56 GMCs. 18" and 17" wheels with low-profile tires would not fit with this forum, which is a traditional rod and custom site. I like the wheels and tires you have. Or maybe painted wheels with poverty caps. Nice score!

5. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I think a set of 15" wheels and white walls would really set the truck apart, I could understand if you want to go bigger though.

Are you thinking of changing the rear bumper to chrome to match the front?

6. Deuces

Deuces

Screw the wheels and the ride height!! Get that front end straightened out first before something nasty happens!! ;)

7. D.G.F

D.G.F
    from Las Vegas

nice looking truck! drive the crap out of it!

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Nice truck, congrats! Yeah, those original from suspensions can be a bitch re bump-steer. You can flip the axle atop the springs to drop it the amount you want, and put a dic conversion on those spindles. Freshen up all the bushings and tie-rods, etc and you might be ok. An IFS is a great option, for sure. Power steering is nice too. Good luck, and post more pix! Where in NY are you?

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

...or these cragar eliminators five spokes offer a bigger size that have a cool classic look to them that I think would put your truck over the top wicked.
    [​IMG]

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

clean ride. so, what drive train does it have? ya, some 5 spokes with old school look would be good. do some work on the steering/suspension you have now so you don't have something break until that "some day" comes for all the new stuff.

12. Gator

Gator

That's what I'm running.

[​IMG]

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ha.Ha.....I knew that would look good!:D;):cool:

14. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

You konw its ok if you guys dont like 18" and 20" wheels. I am not a traditional guy although i like all cars. My favorite would be a mix of both.... and that is exactly what i am going for on my truck and my coupe. So i have seen lots of posts and would like to know what people are running for "big" wheels and what size tires fit on thier 55 _ 59 chevy and gmc trucks. Thanx for the help and interest from the guys who look outside the tunnel.

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I respect that you arent totally traditional, but I dont like you saying us traditional folks have "tunnel-vision"... you are on a traditional website you know...

I think the cragars on Gators truck look bad ass. Either that or whitewalls and painted steelies.

16. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

No insult there. Im just saying traditional is great, just not what im looking for. If no one ever used pie crust slicks where would we be? Or what about a 32 grill and frame on a model A? My point is i have a 56 gmc and a 30 "A" those vehicles are traditional and that would make this the "correct" site. I am just not looking to make them a cookie cutter of someone elses vision of what is correct or isnt. Now back to my point... im looking for that wheel info. I know you big wheel guys are laying in the grass not wanting to get your heads lopped off by an old traditional push mower!

17. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

You ask for opinions on 18" wheels on a traditional hot rod and custom forum, and then tell us we have tunnel vision when members tell you we don't like big wheels and this is the wrong site for it.

There are street rod message forums out there with plenty of guys who will help you with an IFS and gross billet wheels for it.

It is a gorgeous looking truck though for the record.

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ exactly. It's like going on a Pepsi forum wanting info on Coca Cola.

19. slammed

slammed

It is not about tunnel vision. These wheels are popular with the latest trend crowd. This site leans heavily the other way. Those guidelines were laid out in 2001.

20. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

HaHaHa well not really, thats what i have been trying to say...i like them both!

21. X55GasserMan

X55GasserMan
    from CT

Wow,..you must be strong!....Just had to! Nice truck by the way. Good luck with it.

22. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

Guidlines are like the national debt ceiling.....they change often and when needed!

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yuck...

Outside the tunnel? Why come inside the tunnel to ask? The HAMB is a tunnel of traditional hot rods and customs. And that is traditional as in, if you didn't see it like that in '65 or earlier then it's not...

The year of the car does not make it traditional, it's the style of the build.

24. slammed

slammed

Right, your in the wrong crowd. Really you would have Napalm'd a few years back.

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Beautiful ride!
    And I like the wheels too...:D
    Cheers......

26. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

Ive been wondering what gets you guys wound up.....haha now i know! run what you brung, make it the way YOU want it and post it on any damn web site you like! old school new school....bloods and crypts... why cant we all just get along HaHa

27. slammed

slammed

If you only knew.........

28. Nice lookin' truck!

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

bloods and CRYPTs???? a crypt is a coffin or grave....and you really need to quit with the HA HA every other sentence.

We don't have tunnel vision - we have A vision, and our builds reflect that vision. 18" or 17" wheels do not fit that vision. They'll probably look just fine on your truck, but please - don't try to talk about it in here - like going to an AA meeting and being pissed that there's no booze - not what they do there...and ghetto wheels is not what we do here. This is a forum dedicated to 'traditional' rods and customs based on US (mostly) vehicles manufactured between 15 AD and the last of the 64 production runs. It's not flexible - and you don't really want to get into a political bent in here with sidelong references to the debt ceiling. You're welcome as a participant, but please honor the zeitgeist of the forum.

dj

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nope no change to guidelines needed at all...

You keep getting more and more douchey, even thought it has been explained nicely and in depth.

well said.