Register now to get rid of these ads!

1967 cadillac axle help PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sic7cadi, Jul 30, 2011.

1. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

I need any and all info that anyone has on the axles in these cars. Where I can find one or a rebuild kit for one. What might have an axle that will change out with it. Anything will help. My heavy foot and the 475ft.lbs didn't play too nice on the rear end today and it shattered the inside now I' really hoping for info on rebuilding it back bulletproof.

2. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Caddys don't have alot available in rebuild drivline parts from what I've seen. Hopefully you can find a part out car or get a lucky reply from another HAMBer. Maybe adapt a rear end from another large 60's/70's car, wagon or truck?

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

too bad your not closer there's one in the bone yard here

4. I've owned a '67 CDV and I'm really surprised you were able to break the diff. You must have been power braking it to have done any damage.

5. anteek

anteek

Measure a '73-87 chevy pickup AND a van, same years,one or the other should adapt and carry the same wheels with forever parts availability. lots of ratios and posi's too.

6. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

No power break but when it hit second gear the rear end just couldn't handle it... I got it apart tonight and found the ring and pinion look amazing its just the LSD that came apart and shattered... I heard earlier that possibly coveter 3rd members will fit?

7. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

8. I have no idea to what a "coveter" 3rd member might be referring.

However, given that Cadillacs had largely standardised in size by 1959, you may have a fair easy job. I am willing to measure/photograph the rear end in my 1976, to adjudge the possibility of a straight swop. 70's Cads are quite cheap (I paid $700 and drove it 250 miles home) and fair plentiful.

A caveat as to swopping just any rear (ie: GM truck): Cadillac rear ends are quite unusual in that the pinion enters almost below the pumpkin. This is for floor pan clearance, as the cars are quite low (my '76 is the same height as a new 370Z). Putting in any other differential will mean tunnel clearance problems, or a ton of work raising the tunnel a LOT. Plus, the driveshaft will need to be modified, as Cadillacs use CV joints, not 'U' joints. The rear connection is a flange, not the usual yoke. And the driveline is NOT phased inline as 'U' joints need to be, because of the use of CV joints. More headaches.

Let me know if you need the info from my '76.

Cosmo

9. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

Sorry my computer changed the word... corvette is what I meant. Does your 76 have the drop out 3rd member?

10. If your 67 has the pinion carrier that removes from the front, it may be the same all the way to 78. This site might help: http://nosmopar.com/gm_part_numbers.htm
    You have to hunt around, and I didn't see a pic of the 67, but its worth a shot...

11. I've never seen one break either, but a 44 year old part is not exactly pristine. If you have access to an old Hollander manual, you may be able to see what fits it.

Bob

12. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

It shattered the gears inside the diff. the ring and pinion look in amazing shape. It seems strong I just thing the limited slip tried to engage and it snapped it.

13. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

And yes the 67 does have the removable 3rd member out the front. I will have to look at my granddads 76 this weekend and see if they look the same

14. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

my HOLLANDER interchange book shows 61-69 are different than 70-76.

15. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

Thanks for that info that will deff help on my hunt!

16. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

Cadillac King

Hoopers Rear Ends

Try these places. They are both well known among rodders and collectors in SoCal. I'd call Cadillac King first. I live literally 2 minutes from both Cadillac King & Hoopers in Sun Valley (they're on the same block). If you need me to ship something they wont, email me and I'll pick something up (small, not the whole axle hehe) and mail it to ya. It's not a problem okay. Work is slow out here in the roofing business; us drivers are sitting home ½ the week.

17. sic7cadi

sic7cadi
    from Hensley,AR

I contacted cadillac king they're wanting alil more than I want to pay for a third member. I'm on the look out local for a parts car but if I don't find one I have had a guy from here say he has a rear end for the car.