Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth, It's time!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, May 3, 2011.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Nice car, thank you!

Great link, Its from Mounting to mounting. I find this to be the best way to accurately measure what I actually need. Tons of good info there, thank you!!

Awesome car!! I watched the video a couple of times, and gotta say- Jay has some class and knows a few things about a bunch of different cars. Hopefully my car will be as clean one day, not as stock, but as clean :)

Thanks for the offer, but I found one the right size! whew!

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Update:
    I finally found a rear axle for my car that is the EXACT width I need and for what I am doing with it, has better gears too! I found a Mopar 8.25" out of a 1968 Coronet. I was looking to find something in an 8.75 or a Ford 9" but couldn't find one locally in the time needed.

The Explorer 8.8 I had was a fine rear end, but didn't fit with my car layed out and I was a little bummed on the 3.73 gears for freeway cruising. The Mopar rear is going to be plenty strong for a dependable daily driver and a better choice IMO. It was cheap and will allow me to save some $$ to get a custom rear axle made if I decide to, plus parts are everywhere.

Start the 4 link this week and then chassis paint. Gonna have some pics soon. Thanks guys, I'm Back in the saddle! :)

3. farmer12

farmer12

That's great news! Just curious, how much room do you have between the c notch and the rear when the car is layed down? btw, it's not back in the saddle, it's back to the garage! :):D

4. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Ill take some pics with the wheels on and let you know. If you are talking about the top of the wheel wells, there is hardly any room at all. On the frame, the wheel wells are filled up. The only way to get any more out of it would be to go with a smaller profile tire and 14" wheel combo. Im running 15" wheels with a G78 and a 3.25" WWW.

5. farmer12

farmer12

Maybe it's better to go with 15's with a smaller profile, rather than 14's.....they may look a little funny on a relatively big car. I have about 1 inch of clearance to the top of the fender, when the car is completely laying down. Measure and measure again is what I did. Good luck and can't wait to see some new pics!

6. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Im right where I want to be with my tires right now. Laying frame with room to spare, but I am also running the stock frame height, which sits a little bit below the running boards.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How is your rear exhaust routed? Underneath the gas tank?

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Update today!

We got the new rear cleaned up and the 4 link tacked in place. Pinion only changes 2 degrees from fully up to fully down with smooth movement. We started on the bag perches and will have functioning air movement probably tomorrow night. Once everything works as it should, everything comes back apart for paint and plumbing!! :D

Attached Files:

9. farmer12

farmer12

That is looking really good! When the rear is at ride height, are the lower and upper bars more or less horizontal? I would also make sure that the lower brackets which are connected to the frame, are boxed/strengthened as this is where most of the force is exerted. Keep up the great work.

10. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Hi Slmlrd, Man I'm glad I sold the car to someone that is going to town on the car!!!!!!!!! I'm really enjoying subscibing to this build......Keep up the great work, someday maybe I'll be able to to visit and see it all done. Spent the funds on my '52 Olds and am working on it now hopefully it will be drivable yet this summer. I should start a thread on it. Stay in that saddle,,,,, TomCat 1

11. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Yessir, horizontal. Geometry is way better than I expected it to be. Everything just fit right with the 4-link. Everything is boxed and is structurally sound for sure. Kept it simple this time, learned a lot my first time, but learned BETTER this time. Keepin on keepin on!! :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  12. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Damn Rich you guys are kickin ass. Looks great so far.

13. 41 C28

41 C28

Congrats on your new old Mopar.

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

like the stance

15. farmer12

farmer12

Looking awesome Rich!

16. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

17. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

love those old Mopars

18. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Nice ride lookin good

19. powhatan42

powhatan42

Rich,

Lookin real good dude...keep up the graet job! We are behind you but all efforts are to catch up to you real soon.

20. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Its been a long week with little major progress, but I did pull and clean up and smooth my dash/windshield moulding. Pulled the dash and wedged where the glove box compartment used to be was a few .22 live rounds, all rusted to hell and very old. I imagine theyd been there a while.

Got me to imagining the old man driving down a dusty road in central Illinois in the 40s with a .22 pistol in the glovebox "just in case".... Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. :)

Anyhow, We started on the rear sheet metal, Mustang tank install, battery box indent, tunnel notch, seam sealed and removed all the glass. (Chop is right around the corner) Plumbed the air ride setup and rear brakes as well, so lots of progress has been made.

When I bought this car, I knew I was in for a build, but damn. This thing is taking me there and back. Pretty sure this thing is going to be an asskicker when I get her done....

Heres a few pics, will post more soon- enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  21. powhatan42

powhatan42

Rich,

Very cool, and the build is moving ahead nicely. It is fun to see how each Hamber approaches these Coupes.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Great progress Rich! It is good to see some pics again, keep up the good work!:D

23. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

More updates-

Got everything plumbed, tacked together firewall, sprayed bed liner in the trunk and installed the accuair system and switches. Even installed a Dodge Ram fuel door, keepin it all Mopar :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  24. farmer12

farmer12

Great progress Rich, looking good. Are you trying to catch up?? :):D Keep up the good work!

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good, Rich!

26. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Really nice looking metal work and plumbing...quality stuff goin' on there!!! Can't wait to see the chop and final stance.

27. Coming along real nice.

28. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Nah man, I want to be driving this thing as soon as time permits. Suspension, drive train and chop. I can make the body pretty one panel at a time . :)

thanks man!!

Yeah, Im kinda particular and a bit obsessive sometimes- haha. Cutting into the body of this car is a bit scary, just out of respect, but it is going to be perfectly proportioned when we get done.

Thank you!!

29. powhatan42

powhatan42

Very nice indeed, I like the pop up fuel door for sure!

30. nice find can you say HEMI !