Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Ford Country Sedan wagon tailgate question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmak, Jul 28, 2011.

1. carmak

carmak

I am looking at a 63 Ford wagon here in a couple weeks. The seller said it had a broken tailgate hinge "pin". He said he can still open and close the gate carefully with the broken pin.

Has anyone here delt with this problem? Is this a unique casting or is it a routine wear item like a door hinge pin? Are parts available?

Thanks
    Carmak

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i don't know what yours look like but if its anything like some of the wagons i messed with ya should be able to drive it out & put a hardened pin in it,hell i could be wrong....

3. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

I just went out and looked at my 64 gal wagon The hinge looks similar style to the one on my early falcon .the pins dont look replaceable.Try to find a 2nd hand one [galaxie club etc] there was no hinge kit in the GREG DONAHUE catalogue.

4. carmak

carmak

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. A parts hunting I shal go.

Carmak

5. JEM

JEM

The hinges were replaced as a unit, typically. I've never seen a replacement pin.

Let's see...parts book says '61 and '63 used the same hinges, while '62 and '64 used a different set of part #s. This is expected ('64 uses '62 tailgate shell with an extra trim piece on the outside.)

The part #s might or might not be of any use to you, the Ford parts book does not list the '61 part #, only superseded to the '63, but it's C3AZ-7143000-A right and C3AZ-7143001-A left.

I'm sure the hinge could be cut up, a new pin made and the whole thing put back together but I think you're better off finding a hinge. If you find a good parts car you might want to grab as much of the tailgate hardware as you can get, even the stainless straps, springs, and especially the plastic slides they run on. There's a lot of wear pieces there and something else will break eventually. I don't think anyone's yet reproed the tailgate weatherstrip or inner/outer window wipe strips.

And if anyone ever turns up NOS or intact-used examples of any or all of the three-piece stone guard (the two plastic pieces below the taillights and the rubber strip across the middle) 'tween bumper and body for a '64 wagon, or the funky little rubber seals at the ends of the glass, please let me know...in particular, it'd be nice if they're good enough to make molds from...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. nailz

nailz
    from San Diego

JEM, you obviously have a 60's Ford wagon, cause im in the exact same boat. I need tailgate and window weatherstips and all the seals for my 62 Squire. Plus the big rubber strip above the bumper. Someday i guess im going to have all that stuff custom made. I was lucky enough to find a source for a 62 parts car and he had a good useable tailgate inner panel with good stainless strips on it. Got it all together and when i went to open the tailgate with the inner handle, nothing! Turns out one of the bars that pulls the pins in had fallen out of its mouting hole. Its a flimsy set up for sure.

7. JEM

JEM

All the front/side window weatherstrips and beltline wipers have been reproduced now, even the rear quarters. I have a NOS tailgate weatherstrip and beltline wiper strips for my '64 ready to go back on when the car's back together; to my knowledge that stuff hasn't been reproduced despite the fact that as of a couple years ago at least one big-name Galaxie parts vendor had a new tailgate weatherstrip they're hanging on to for mold-design purposes.

There's probably something out there that'd make an adequate substitute for the rubber stone-guard behind the bumper; what's a PITA is that at least on the '64s there's a plastic piece at each end below the taillight and I'm not sure I've seen an intact one in the past ten years.

8. carmak

carmak

Got the wagon this weekend.

Does anyone make a fiberboard headliner and the plastic strips the hold it in place?

Will 4dr qtr panels fit?

Thanks.

Carmak

Attached Files:

9. Are the window track sliders(wheels) the same as the door ones? The ones in my tail gate are long gone.

10. Squatch

Squatch

The original style headliners are not available as far as I know... I think that Dearborn or Donahue offer the conversion to cloth for a wagon...

I saw quarters on ebay for a wagon once... as far as a 4 door.. not sure ... I believe the door on the wagons are longer... but i think only in the window area...

Mike

11. Squatch

Squatch

Yup... replaced mine...

12. Squatch

Squatch

If you want to turn yours into a squire.. I think I have a couple sets of fiberglass wood trim... :)

13. pride63

pride63

i really need both rear fender "c" trims and a better tailgate full length trim, bumper guards . there are none in scrap yards over here sadly. macs do a headling http://macsautoparts.com/1960-72-fo...072-headliner-w/camid/FMP/cp/JS0R3CHL1128258/
    my headlining is just a felt covered board with alloy trims across it side to side. i will take pictures tomorrow as im trying to restore the interior back to original one step at a time and would be happy to take advice

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  14. BB227

BB227
    from Finland

xxxxxxxxxxx
    Hi, I'm searching for the NOS tailgate seal for my 1963 Mercury Colony Park, should be the same on 1963/64 Ford Country Sedan/Squire. Anyone out there that can help ??
    Rgds Leif
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

15. I found mine as late as 1980 in a glass shop, no longer I'm sure. If you need 2 of 'em, buy 12 because they go right after another.

Bob

16. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas