Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

"Oregon or Bust." A sought Dakota clan puts on its bravest face to head
    west in quest of better luck. A Farm Security Administration photographer
    recorded the Vernon Evans' family departure in 1935. Photo is thanks to
    the National Archives and Records Administration.

2. POA21R

POA21R
    from California

Actually, the rubble from 1906 filled in the area that became the Marina district as well as Mission Bay, which was a large rail switching yard and has become the new UC Mission bay complex- this is from research on MB for my thesis project. The stuff that they used for Treasure Island came from the boring of the tunnel for the Bay Bridge and other dredging operations.

I for one like seeing the pictures posted with replies, sorry if its seeing the same images again, but it beats seemingly random text referring to some image posted pages ago. Thanks for a great thread.

53caddy likes this.
  3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hi, POA21R, and welcome to the HAMB and this thread. I agree with your main point. Even for a regular like me, it can get hard to follow -- not t mention that it makes it often nearly impossible for a well-meaning newer poster to search this HUGE thread and, thus, avoid reposting a photo that has been presented one or more times before. So, we get folks yelling at eachother about details when there are (IMO) infrastructural issues that could or should be addressed.

4. POA21R

POA21R
    from California

Hey, yah groups are like that- I've been watching this for months and posted a few months ago.... but like to noodle around on it at random points and see what I can see, rather than following the whole thread continuously from the beginning. Amazing images you guys are posting.. thanks, Peter

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for the reply, POA. It's a great thread, but like anything, the details can present issues. It would be great if people would agree that we're a diverse group, then, simply get along.

As Mazooma said many months ago, IF you don't like something you see, scan past it and find something else you're sure to like. Don't tell someone else what to post -- unless it's a modern shot, obviously. I've suggested 1980-ish as a rough rule of thumb cutoff and got no yeas or nays, as I can recall.

6. POA21R

POA21R
    from California

stuff like this is so cool- the building with the clock is the only building still standing in any of these images- either lost when 101 was made into a freeway, or lost in the 1969 earthquake. And, btw, the movie was made in 1943. You can still see the house where it takes place, a few blocks east of downtown, and the train station, where the gruesome first scenes are shot.

Peter

7. POA21R

POA21R
    from California

Simca built Topolinos under license.

8. stratocharger

stratocharger

So why would you delete the photos?..

9. Here is a rodded version of the little Simca. Courtesy HOT ROD mag Oct. 1974

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. monteverde

monteverde
    from S. Vermont

It's a big ol' Bentley, late '20's or early '30's. Probably a 6 1/2 liter, but might be an 8 liter.

11. monteverde

monteverde
    from S. Vermont

P.S. Thanx for the great pic, wingnutz.

12. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

I can remember these old hardware stores. Even in the early 70's in Longton, Kansas where I began my teaching career, our elderly neighbors ran one of these downtown.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I remember this and cant believe it was 74.

14. Anybody notice all the trash on the streets? The last few pictures posted, and some posted earlier all had it.

15. This would be a good one for....'where is this car now?' questions??? The Super Simca...

HG :cool:

16. George G

George G

This one is just plain creepy

[​IMG]

17. Must be an Eight Liter because the Hood ornament has an "8" on it.;)

18. backroads

backroads

awesome thansk for sharing i especially like the flying car on the first page

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

21. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

22. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

23. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

24. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

25. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

26. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

27. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Kurt Volkhart RAK 1

The engine and box were removed to reduce weight, and a small wing stub fitted behind each front wheel to generate downforce at high speed. The car was fitted with twelve black powder rockets in two banks, ignited electrically by a switch fitted to the accelerator pedal. The first bank were fast burning to accelerate the car, the second bank slower burning to keep it moving. The car was christened RAK 1; RAK short for rakete, the German for rocket.

[​IMG]

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

On May 23, 1928, the group took RAK 2 to the Avusring near Berlin. In front of 2000 spectators, the world's press, politicians and celebrities Fritz von Opel himself took the wheel. Pressing the firing pedal eight times, he accelerated to a record-breaking 148 mph in just over a mile. By that time Fritz was struggling to keep control, and when the front end started to lift dangerously he shut the car down, pulling up to applause from the crowd - and a kiss from actress Lillian Harvey.

[​IMG]

29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

30. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

That was the last time Fritz von Opel piloted a rocket-propelled vehicle, and soon afterwards the group separated, almost certainly as a result of changes at Opel. Perhaps realising what was soon to happen in Germany, the von Opels sold the company to General Motors later in 1929. Max Valier continued to experiment with rockets, moving from black powder to liquid fuel motors; he built two further cars, but was killed when a liquid fuel motor exploded on a test bed in 1930.

Max Valier Testing RAK 6

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.