Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!!! Air Carrier for Shipping An Engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm trying to get an engine from Elbe, Wa. to Columbus Ohio in a hurry, for our Bonneville build.

Anyone know an air carrier that will ship a crated engine?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

3. Dennis D

Dennis D

Forward Air. I have used them to ship motocycles. Dennis D

4. plan9

plan9

FEDEX air freight worked for me.

Had a very expensive package come in from Sweden a couple last year, think it cost me about $1500.00....I paid extra for a quick delivery.

5. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Probably easier, cheaper, and faster to find someone to drive it to you. Contact hot shot companies, car transporters, etc.

6. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I have never used this company but a friend had a motor shipped by them, they are a freight forward service and the name is Sky 2 C, Inc. Shipping Company.

http://www.skymover.net/

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Guys! I'll try and contact all these guys, and see if anyone can help!

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I brought a large diesel auxiliary engine for one of our salmon tenders back from Anchorage in a Piper Cherokee Six with a barn freight door. Sure made for some interesting Weight and Balance calculations....so find an air taxi outfit, see what they'd charge - you don't need a DC3 or a Herc....just something designed to haul weight.

dj

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you miss WoS because of the time you spent fooling around putting the Chevy in it, I will call you rude names. I don't know why you don't try to sell your entry and rooms and buckle down for the original plan one short month later.

10. I am leaving the Olympia, WA area on Monday August 1st
    But I probably am not quick enough ....
    I drive 55 m.p.h. during daylight hours only

[​IMG]

Jim :D

11. badshifter

badshifter

x 2 Forward Air. LOTS of stuff shipped by them, never an issue or problem.

12. banginona40

banginona40

Forward Air. I shipped an engine from Sacramento to somewhere in Mich. for $350. It will need to be put on a pallet and completely covered. You may have to hook up with a trucking company if they don't go directly to your area either origination or destination.

13. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I work for Kalitta Air and we don't have anything operating on the domestic operation that would help. Our sales dept. may be able to hook you up with a freight forwarder. DHL has a hub in cincinnati that would get a shipment close.

14. Rustyproject

Rustyproject
    from Clinton,Ms

Call a freight broker. Lots of half loads looking for extra $$'s I used to ship lumber and saw mill parts all the time. Once sent 1000 board feet of birdseye maple from NY to Ms in a empty 18 wheeler just to finish an order for a guitar plant. I would have loved to have had something else in that truck. You would be surprised how fast you can get stuff from place to place if you offer the right $$'s I would go the rental van and a friend route if I were you though(just drive straight thru) Don't say it can't be done. I had a guy drive maple samples 500bf from Toronto Canada to Montgomery Al in just over 27 hours. He crashed for about 12 hours then wanted to go eat and drink my wallet dry.

15. historynw

historynw

UPS Ground 2 days from Indianapolis to upstate NY large Bar cooler. The have power life gate but the destination should have some means to get it from the lift gate.

16. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Call these guys:
    http://www.goablair.com/
    An expiditing and delivery service based out of Louisville that ships nationwide. If they have a [sprinter] van within a couple hundred miles of you, they can pick it up quick and get it there. If they cant help you, at least they can point you in the right direction, as they deal in that sort of thing for a living.

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I work for YRC and we ship engines regularly. We do alot with Porsche and the guys at mid ohio. We are coast to coast have have door lift gate service or you can pick it up at the terminal. We have a Columbus facitlity as well. We are also a good Union Company