Register now to get rid of these ads!

A HOP Rod. Gas-powered pogo stick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Sep 14, 2007.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I was a friend of the late, great, Herb Ottaway. He was the inventor. If yours says Jacobson, someone put that decal on after it left Chance Ind. All production models were labeled Hop Rod. The first prototype had a lawnmower engine and a throttle. The idea was you could lean forward and make real time with a throttle. Instead, it just became a jackhammer, and would hardly move at all. I recall 5 prototypes, and two production models. All still exist. The first production model had exhaust ports facing forward and backwards, oiling and heating your socks, shoes, pants, and legs all at the same time. The rear exhaust port was left undrilled in the second model. How high you could hop depended on your weight and body english/jumping power. An agile, light, kid could get 3-4 feet off the ground with a lot of effort and technique. Part of that height was pulling the Hop Rod up higher in the air by bending your knees and pulling it up at the peak of the jump. If standing fairly straight, the max height is maybe 2 feet. It really doesn't look like much when watching an adult ride one. Except for the time I saw Herb riding one, waving his cowboy hat around his head, and hollering "Yippee!" as he demonstrated it for a crowd. I have three of them, and both production models, original box, store poster, and a couple of cans of Po-Go Go, the fuel. They are kinda cranky to make run right, and it is true there were a few injuries out there in consumer land. Danged lawyers ruin all the fun!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. ampjr

ampjr
    from Charlotte

I have one of these also. Won it in a jumping contest many years ago from Oscar Kovalinski of Auto World.

Anyone know of any parts stashes for these? I am in need of the yellow handle and a new glow plug so I can complete the restoration and get it back on the road. I left the batteries in too long and the handle was ruined.

The question was asked how high it would go. I remember you could get nearly 2 feet (when I was 170#'s). I used model airplane fuel after I ran out of the special fuel I got with it the day I won it.

I haven't ridden it in over 30 years.

3. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

I had one for years - we used to get wasted and go out and amuse ourselves
    with it. I think they are 250cc. The problem with them isn't really broken legs
    cause you are only going about 2-3 feet high. The problem -at least with us -
    is when you are leaning over and it fires the rubber plug slips and it gives a torque
    spin up thru the handle - after I sprained both thumbs at the same time this way
    I kinda stopped messing with it. And my job at the time was drilling holes in rocks
    for a blasting company.
    If you start digging in youtube you will see there is a new design out that runs
    on propane. That one gets some height. it doesn't have the style of the air cooled
    aluminum motor on the Hop-Rod. it looks like the hydraulics off a shovel loader.

4. We need some video of this!!!

Montana1 likes this.
  5. In my minds eye, I see that thing wedged between my butt cheeks and missing my nuts :eek:

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think that is why they quit making them.

seb fontana and Montana1 like this.
  7. ampjr

ampjr
    from Charlotte

They were bad to bite an ankle too - if your foot slipped off. I use to loan mine to kids in the neighborhood who had seen me ride it till one got a bad skinned ankle and his parents came looking for me. Nothing came of it but it was the last time I loaned it out.

8. scott killeen

scott killeen

Selling mine this weekend at the Father's Day Roadster show. I won it at the first World of Wheels show in Phoenix, AZ. It's in "barn find" condition, sticker worn off, plastic handle painted black, 9 C-cell batteries fused inside the handle tube and the rubber foot pads reading "Hop Rod" at still good.

9. stufman

stufman
    from ca

I purchased your Hop Rod and I love it. Would you call me @ 310-803-7815...Dave

10. relive

relive

One of my Hop Rods, a case of NOS Fuel cans, new unused boxes. a store display poster NOS and original stickers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh come one! Surely there is a video of one of these death traps out there somewhere...

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Ole "You Tube"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ajaUGlHUZ00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I want to try one on nitro, hahahahaha

14. relive

relive

15. ampjr

ampjr
    from Charlotte

Hey Relive,
    Would love to purchase one of your Hop Rod decals. I have a Hop Rod (original owner) and need the decal as the tube got ruined when I left the batteries in. Fitted a new tube but need the decal.

Thanks!

16. That guy hasn't logged on in the last 5 years. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. I haven't laughed so hard in a l-o-o-o-o-ng time!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"I thought von dutch invented that. :confused:"
    That's how myths grow. Von Dutch stole most of his ideas from Kenny Howard.

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hard to believe that there are people that don't know that Kenny Howard is Von Dutch's real name....

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Remember when everybody's' brother was wearing the Von Dutch hats, etc.
    They had no clue who Ken Howard was either!

Montana1, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Our world responded to that brief historical period with T-Shirts that said "Kenny Howard hates you"

Moriarity likes this.