Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick drums and 35 ford p/u wire wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jsteph, May 1, 2011.

1. jsteph

jsteph
    from phoenix az

How do you make these fit, I did all the work, by getting the drum machined fitting the 46-48 ford hub to the drum everything fits on a steelie but it needs to fit on a wire wheel,,, Any infor or help on this would be much appreciated!!!!!!

2. itsnotaratrod

itsnotaratrod
    from california

you can find a ton of info on this if you try a search ... i know guys run spacers at times to make wires work ..

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Big ol' fat spacer!!

4. David Baur

David Baur

Do you know who makes these big old fat spacers? Need to be about 1-3/8 " thick.

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

wheeladapter.com Fred Goeske, he'll mill you a set and ship it the same day! You'll need a set of the spacers from Speedway for the little rim on the inside to support those 35's so they don't crack. get your spacers from Fred at 1 1/4" thick, the Speedway adapter will do the rest.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Allthread!!!! :D

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

They always end up looking hokey, with the drum sticking out of the wheel , and the contact patch of the tyre becomes way outside the kingpin line, which aint good for scrub or steering effort.I would find a wheel that suits the era better rather than wires.they were old hat by the time Buick drums came around.

GuyW likes this.
  8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The spacers have holes to bolt to the drum and studs for the wheels to bolt to. They aren't just spacers, they're like wheel adapters but with the same bolt pattern. Transdapt makes them machined billet aluminum up to 2" thick. About $130 a pair.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

hahaha :D:D

10. navypainter

navypainter

Anyone got pictures of the Buick drums and 35 ford wires bolted together? I would like to see what they look like since I too, was thinking about this combo.

11. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

isn't there just too much going on. just an OF's opinion but i think you diminish the effect of both. i like either just not together.

12. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

They look bad together. The drums stick out to much to the inside of the wheel.

13. Ditto, poor combination in both era and appearance. Appearance especially!

14. swifty

swifty

What year did Buick start with the finned drums? I remember they were a big thing when I started hot rodding in the early 60's, and 35 wires were not popular at that period so the two do not go together irrespective of what period you are building to.

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

GuyW likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On all four corners.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They do stick out there more than a bit.
    [​IMG]

17. gmans356

gmans356
    from MDR

This your car? I guess its all in the person and who likes what. I like this car and dont mind the brakes showing. or is this another right and wrong deal where a few dictate what is cool and what is not and if it is get over it. I have simular brake set up and mine doesnt need spacers and they do stick out some and I like them. So do what you want and you cant satisfy everybody then again there are lots of people who talk, but have never built anything.
    By the way I got mine from Cranium 69 he knows what he is doing when it comes to these brakes..G

18. pecker head

pecker head

F972C822-485B-4802-8901-46277AB25948.png

GuyW likes this.
  19. Just a thought...have True Spoke make up a set that have a center to fit a flatter mounting surface,and get a off set that covers the outer half of the drum more.