Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How has the HAMB made an impact ...share your story???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bone Daddy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

I've read the Hamb almost daily since 2003 maybe earlier. I lurked for 2 years before I joined and/or posted because I took the advice of others to look, listen, learn and use the SEARCH feature.(The old flame jobs on people used to be relentless too)
    The Hamb has had such a huge impact on myself and the rest of the world for that matter. Here are just a handful of things off the top of my head.

1) How many cars has it saved from an untimely death to the crusher around the world? 3 hot rods and 1 dragster in my case

2) How many unfinished projects has it helped put back on the road? At least 3 for me so far and a handful more on the way.

3) How much history has it recorded that would have been lost in time?
    I would say more than all the automotive books written in the last ten years combined. Here is the one place where each story is on equal footing no matter who you are.

4) What about the people on the Hamb that have become friends and helped one another? Knowing HambAndy made me value everything in life. There are so many of the others in need that have been helped and even those broken down on the side of the road. (Hamb AAA)

5) How many guys have lauched their car building careers wiht the help of the Hamb?

I've even written a book about hot rodding directly related to the support of my friends, Ryan, and the Hamb. I couldn't imagine a world without it and it scares me to think how things would have worked differently.

Thanks, Ryan and Crew!

2. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i dont get as much done on my cars or trucks, but thats about it

3. ain't that the truth..haha. so be it. thankfully the HAMB opened up my eyes to the sinful life of billet and easter egg colored cars and how they were leadin me down the wrong path. thank you Ryan and the HAMB for helping me correct my ways

4. I run into people all the time that thank me for my pictures. Met a guy today at Home Depot,who walked up to me and just thanked me for my pictures and shook my hand. He goes by tenlug. That was pretty cool,since I wasn't in one of my cars or at a car related shop or store. He just recognized me! Pretty humbling...
    I've made almost all my friends through the HAMB.

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Gave me herpes! All I can say till after the trial......

6. Provides sanity while unemployed and or under employed - also inspiration for design and the culture.
    Plus FRIDAY ART show ! Ya

7. SURE! I bet she said she was 18 too,hahaha!

8. Lucky444

Lucky444

Being out in Honolulu, Hawaii the H.A.M.B. connects me with a larger community of like minds.

Traditional Kustom, not spoken frequently here.

Mahalo, H.A.M.B.!!!

9. Thanks Mr. Reed, now I gotta clean up this mess all over my computer:D

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Thats what she said! Zzziiinnnng

11. el shad

el shad

The HAMB has made my wife jealous. She never was before....

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

There's an age limit? Ohh bob, ya furget I r in missura:)

13. I have made a lot of friends since joining the Hamb but as far as my building styles goes I already subscribed to the KISS ideas of building cars and that's what ultimately drew me to the site.

Also the passion and the shear talent that I observed gave me incentive to push and hone new skills,,I had never really pursued any metal work and with a lot of questions and guidance I have gained a lot of overconfidence in that area.

I feel as though I know many of you guys that I will probably never meet face to face but appreciate all your help. HRP

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Better than facebook ,Lots of cool people here.

15. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

It got me on the road with a pre-war hot rod. I had been only able to collect parts and day dream before coming here.
    Also met a bunch of great people, and logged some great miles with like minded folks.
    It's given me the confidence to attack projects I might not have considered before. If I get stuck, I know where to turn. 'course, it helps to be thick skinned sometimes, It's all good.

16. About a year ago I was living overseas and had no contact with the hot rod/custom world. All I ever wanted to do since I was a kid was build kustoms. A quick post on the HAMB landed me an apprenticeship with Gambino Kustoms in San Jose, CA. I moved halfway around the world, met all the greats, learned lots about kustoms, went to many shows, and had the time of my life. If it wasn't for the HAMB I would be in Wyotech as that was were I was singed up to go to school after I graduated. Thanks to Alex Gambino, Max Ballasteros, and the HAMB I lived my custom car dream.

I would probably also not own my '56 Ford if it wasn't for the HAMB and would probably own a street rod or muscle car. Because of the HAMB I sold all my O/T vehicles and sprang into action buying the most relaible/affordable pre '64 vehicle I could find at the time.

I have made hundreds of friends all over the world that I have actually come to meet in person all through the HAMB.

I thank Ryan and everyone else on here for bringing me into the custom world, and giving me the great life I live today.

Thanks everyone!

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Helped me GREATLY with my cancer, all the support and love here.
    Learned a lot about how old cars are supposed to be. Designed, built, modified.
    Built up my confidence to really dive into a classic car project.
    Let's not forget the exposure to the artist side of things here, photos, striping, etc... all of it.

Not like I was living in a cave or anything, but the HAMB really accelerated my appreciation of traditional hot rodding!

18. Helps me retain my sanity. Well as much of it as I had in the first place.

19. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I have made some of the best friends right here on the hamb...

4200, miles away from tools and my 32... at least i can live vicariously through others....

20. Thanks to the HAMB I have put two cars on the road, bought two cars and sold two cars. And met a ton of cool folks I call friends along the way. Even that Breeder character.

21. the HAMB has kept me from selling my car numerous times by providing great pictures and articles to keep me motivated to keep goin. thanks HAMB and fellow HAMBers.

22. Weasel

Weasel

Taught me that I know nothing....

23. lucky ink

lucky ink

the HAMB let me know there's still ol skool hot rodders still out there .. just when you thought all that was left was candy colored trailer queens. thanks HAMB

24. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

ive also learned that i live way to far away from forests, and no matter how little rust is on it, living in the valleys just isnt worth it sometimes

25. el shad

el shad

Holy crap! This applies to me more than most. There sure is some serous knowledge that flows out of some of your keyboards.

26. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

The HAMB gave me a sense of belonging. Here in the UK it seems you are only welcome to the scene if you are born into it - it can be very clicky - newcomers are always newcomers.

On the HAMB loving traditional cars is the only requirement to be made to feel welcome.

The HAMB has encourage me and given me the knowledge to mild kustom my mercury.

Also I'm now in a car club - The Goldchainers - here on the HAMB - great bunch of people - feels like i'm part of something good

27. pitman

pitman

It is one of the best gathering places. Here folks are willing to raise up problems and ask about ways to solve them. And the quality of the work done... at times astounding!
    If people like Lil John, Jay Carnine and HAMB Andy stop in, so much the better.

28. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I met Ryan, Gene Winfield, Bill Hines, Rik Hoving, Brad Masterson, Chris Casny, George Barris, Linda Vaughn, Mel, Denise, Pat Pryor, Anthony White, 29pu, 40streetrod, 57JoeFoMoPar, Big John37, Bob37, cgaswillys, ChassisResearchKid, Megan, Chopmerc, Chopolds, Dan Greenburg, Tyler and his Dad, Bobby, Piero, Brett, FTroop, Alex, Jack Thomas, Jeff Norwell, Jungle Pam, Kiwi Kev, Moriarity, The Banned NitroFC, Nobodys Hero, RalphyBoy161 (Dont mess with Ralphy) Rich Venza, sacredsteel1, scarylarry, HotRodJen, Spike, Sir Woosh, SlowandLow63, teddyp, TOE, tudorfritz, tuki, Mr. & Mrs. Verminator, Lucky Burton, Bad Bob, Malcolm...and TONS more of the most BAD ASS folks anywhere.

Also, I have been welcomed coast to coast, photographed the sweetest cars and got a double hug sandwich with Denise and Megan in Detroit. Fuckin A. Slim

29. To be honest, I thought I wanted to build a "rat-rod" from the '34 Chevy 3-window I had at the time. I had seen a couple at some shows and thought they looked like something I could afford to build vs the "street rods" I had been seeing. Started cruising the "rat-rod" forums and saw a lot of scary, unsafe crap built just for the "shock factor"! One common theme on these sites was people "bad-mouthing" the H.A.M.B.! I decided to check you guys out, and haven't been back to the "rat-rod" sites since! This forum helped me realise that I really wanted a "traditional" car all along and that she didn't have to be a "show-queen" to be really enjoyable!

I have also had numerous questions answered by some great and knowlegible "car guys". Thanks, Dusty

30. 117harv

117harv

Made the world a much smaller place, i talk to members from all over, and made many friends. I wish i would have given in to modern tech earlier, i sure missed alot of great HAMB years.

It also gets alot of people the parts they need to get their rides on the road. When i'm out hunting them down i will see something and say to myself, somewhere there is a HAMBer that needs this and drag it home.

It seems that when we were kids if a book didn't have pics we wouldn't look at it. Then we grew up and read books without them, then came the HAMB. This is one, if not the largest archive of vintage pics of all kinds, most that would have never seen the light of day. The massive amount of peoples personal pics that are now displayed for ALL to enjoy is stagering:D

LONG LIVE THE HAMB!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011