Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Carl Casper - The "Other" Custom Builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Nov 17, 2010.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In another thread, Casper says in a video that when he first started out that he bought a sewing machine and did his own interiors and still has the same machine.

2. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

the carl casper cars are at the wwII musuem in Auburn Indiana, i just took the family there the other day. it is awesome!

3. I was raised in Louisville, and during the '70s, the Carl Casper Show at the Fairgrounds was always the best thing that happened during those crappy winters. It was awesome. They had lots of cars, battle of the bands, and always had a Playboy playmate signing autographs. I still remember standing in that long playmate autograph line when I was about 15, and when it finally came to be my turn, I walked up onto the platform and locked onto the most perfect jugs I had ever seen and started stuttering like an idiot.

4. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Now your talking my lingo baby... these (and the like) are what got me in to custom cars!!!
    I love them, thanks for the pics!!!

5. This is the one that got my attention as a kid...

Attached Files:

6. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Any more pictures of this thing? WOW! I like it

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I remember the shows at the I.M.A. As a member of the old Genesee Gear Grinders I was privileged (along with rest of the members) to work for Carl for about $.25 per hour distributing flyers, setting up the show, polishing the "feature" cars and general stooging. This was all part of the deal of "Club Sponsorship" which probably played out at all the other venues. The single biggest and longest lasting impression from that experience was how contrived and phony show cars were. The first time we had to push a feature car into position because it didn't have an operative engine in it iabsolutely dismayed me.

I was in love with Hot Rods and the concept of Hot Rods. My exposure to the world of professional Show Cars (Characitures of Hot Rods and Customs for the sake of Show) turned me off to that crap to this day.

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Growing up in Louisville, Ky. and living about 3 miles from the State Fairgrounds it was a big thing for us pimple faced teens to go see the Carl Casper Custom Auto Show every year. Man I love his cars. It got to the point over the years though that it was full of crap. Half hopping low riders contests, and band battles, less customs and street rods. Now they have it tied in with a new car show. It's lost it's appeal to me.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

xhotrodders got it right. The Louisville Carl Casper Auto Show sucks. You'd have to pay me to attend. It's nothing but hopping Low Riders, loud booming car stereo's, soap opera stars, pro wrestlers and very few cars you'd even look at. Nothing but a bunch of nonsense billed as a car show. Can't believe they still have the show.

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

Casper was my favorite growing up.

The Kasper interiors or Kasper Auto trim from Wisconsin is Kasprzyk if I remember correctly.

11. Manche

Manche

some of this stuff is very trippy, Was he under en infuelces of substances while he has sketching? :D

12. Saltflatskid

Saltflatskid
    from Flint, MI

Quite an improvement in styling...the Illsion was a box with no fenders...If you hadn't brought it up I would never have known it was the same car...congrats on the new body!

13. Saltflatskid

Saltflatskid
    from Flint, MI

I found some interesting drag racing history on Carl Casper’s Young American when it defeated Don “Big Daddy” Garlit’s Swamp Rat # 13 and all of the other California top fuelers during the fall of 1970 at the Orange County California big Top Fuel Meet.

Carl was not only considered as one of the top custom car designers, and builders in the 60’s & 70’s but he was also the only custom and street rod guy to accomplish so many NHRA and AHRA track records and championships with his top fuel dragsters.

The 1970 info says that Carl’s racing team, at the time of this photo, consisted of driver Danny Ongais, with Casper, Leland Kolb and John Krannenberg as the other team members.

I'd like to see more photos of Carl's Young American battleing it out with Garlit's Swamp Rats.

Attached Files:

14. dragginman

dragginman
    from colorado

Casper's Young American was not only a fantastic show car, but the hardest
    running top fuel dragster I ever witnessed. It beat Garlits at the 1970 NHRA
    Supernationals in one of the greatest races ever. Anyone got any photos of
    this race or any of Carl's other incredible dragsters! He not only builds fabulous
    cars but they put many of the greatest fuelers in the country on the trailer race
    after race. Our group found Carl and his team to be the friendliest & nicest guys
    on the professional drag racing circuit. Lets hear more about his racing days,
    especially the exciting match ups with "big Daddy" Garlits.

15. fleet-master

fleet-master

would love to see pics of Empress II...anybody?

16. gschef9656

gschef9656
    from florida

I bought evel knievels crash car it was in viva knievel movie a toy was made in its image and evel would take it to jumps to show off real life toys he had im told carl casper poss built the car along with evels wheelie car if any one can help with contact carl casper thank u

17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

^^^^^^Google can be a great friend to you. Stu

18. Probably Carl Green, not Casper - Green built several other cars for Evel.

Steve

19. gschef9656

gschef9656
    from florida

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  20. fleet-master

fleet-master

bump Carl Casper and Dave Stuckey would have to be right up there as my most favourite custom car builders.I would still love to see pics or info on the Empress II . have only ever seen a tantalising photo in a Custom Rodder mag a few years back. Anybody? thanks in advance think it had the bodywork done by Pat Keating?

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

22. i looked those cars over real good a few time and finally decided that the Pinball Wizard is the one i most like
    it is really a dream having a car like that and hitting the show circuit with it and having a blast:D

well back to reality:cool:

23. Wild. Hard workin' cat fer sure. Saw 'Vanturian' here in ink as a kid. So dug it.
    Really a lot to like- wheel/ tire combo's stand out as super cool on more than a few of these cars.

24. Kevin Allgire

Kevin Allgire
    from Angola,IN.

Hi guys I'm the Director of The Northeastern Indiana Racing Museum and we are also located inside the National Military History center & Automotive museum where Carl's custom cars are located. Just wanted to give you an update: Since I see you know all about the 1964 Turbo Shark, I just wanted to let you know that Carl brought it to the museum on Tuesday November 22,2011 and he will be bringing some more cars next week. I get to dust all of his cars so I get up close and personal . In the middle photo scan over the background and you'll see some of his other creations. Look way to the back of that photo and you'll just barly see a truck with big tires, That's Big Foot #1 ,because this is also home to The International Monster Truck Museum & Hall Of Fame. Here's some photo's of the Turbo Shark, Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  25. Kevin Allgire

Kevin Allgire
    from Angola,IN.

I see you were also talking about Carl's Dragsters. Those are actually located in our Racing Room and here is a photo(Photo By Kevin Allgire):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks John for posting that picture!! :)

27. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

I have been to Carl Caspers indoor show a number of times early in the 2000s. great cars that he built!

28. 60 ford

60 ford

I went to Carl Casper shows in Louisville since the 70's until they added new car dealer show to it. There use to be a lot of great cars there. The Carl Casper cars were always great.

29. Kevin Allgire

Kevin Allgire
    from Angola,IN.

We used to take a couple of cars to Carl's Show In Feb. from the museum every year. Last time I went we took Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s Winston Cup car and I spent two days taking photo's of people standing beside it for them. But we sure did party after we left there at night at a bar called Shooters, which was close to our motel and we could stagger back to our rooms. 9am came early and we had to be at the show by 10am. We would leave on Friday at 1pm and be there by 8pm,set up and work till 11pm. Then come back Saturday till 11pm. and then come back Sunday and work till 3pm I think, and then load up and head back for Indiana.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  30. This man sure wasn't afraid of work. When my friend, John McNally, bought the El Matador, he went to Caspers warehouse in Flint where it was stored. He brought it back to Florida and that is where I owned it. He paid $2500.
    I wish we could get away from all the drug related remarks.They serve no purpose and just are insulting to the man.