Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome 34 truck grille, too gaudy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph Moore, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I just picked up this grille, plan on lowering it down a bit for a 2" chopped radiator. It's a 34 truck and was chromed about 30 years ago. But the question I have is would all chrome be too gaudy for a traditional hot rod? Or should I paint it and leave the bars chrome? I know back in the day they did all kinds of stuff, but I have never seen one totally chrome.

Attached Files:

2. BCR

BCR

I think I like it. It would look good with a few pinstripes on it though.

3. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

First off, I'm weird. . . but I like one random full chrome part. Kind of sets things off. I'd leave it if the chrome looks as good as it does in the pictures.

4. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Dont mess with it at all, It rocks! If you want something different then flip it for some cash. I would love that grill and alot of others would too. It would be that one cool part on your car that noone else has, that seams to be the excepted style for traditional hot rods now days.

5. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

And that looks like a 32 commercial grill? Not 34. . .

6. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Think about this? How many truck grills made it in that great of shape to be chromed? Noone will have another.

Are you running a hood? That would make a difference. most model A's had the option of a chrome grill

7. williebill

williebill

I remember seeing that,I guess,in some of the little books..I'd leave it chrome,and use it..Keep looking at it,I think it'll grow on you

8. Tacho

Tacho

Leave 'er B.

9. It might be a bit much, but I don't think I would make a decision until I had the whole car done. See how it looks finished and then decide.

10. I like it. Don't see that done very often.:cool:

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

uh, that is a '32 truck grille...and in that condition it'll bring about $1000 on ebay. I wouldn't cut it up.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Looks killer! Just like "Lil' Dough"!!

13. I'm gonna say...too much. Painting it would be better,I think.

14. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Looks like the majority is for keeping it. I was told it came off a 34, I compared it to a buddies 32 pickup grille, and it looks a little bit larger. He also had a 33 pickup and the grille looked the same with the exception of holes around the insert portion for trim.
    And no, I'm not planning to run a hood. I first looked at it and thought, eh maybe, then I brought it home and stuck it on the frame, and thought, well it might work.
    Today I cleaned and polished it and thought, that looks pretty good!

I do want to set the body back on for a final determination. Thanks for all the input, I was just on the edge of keeping it the way it was.

15. Cool! But if I used it on my pickup I'd also have some other parts chromed..maybe front suspension, steering column, possibly a pair of chrome belly-burners, chrome windshield frame and headlights....you know, make chrome a theme on the truck. Black paint would also be a plus. Chrome wheels would be mandatory but I'd prolly keep the tires black..and clean.
    A 50s-60s style white interior with plenty of chrome stuff would rule..

16. toolman1967

toolman1967

I love it! KEEP IT...KEEP IT...KEEP IT

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd use it, but i have poor taste..... mabey you should just send it to me

18. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Why even ask wtf lol........................

19. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Well, I'm trying to keep the car with a mid fifty's style, and was just wondering if it would fit the bill.

20. I was ready to hate it but man, that things beautiful. The chrome looks flawless! If you paint that thing you'll hate youself for it and will have lost an opertunity to run a very unique piece. Hell, if you want it painted find a lesser grill and have the teeth plated and paint the rest.

21. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I would say it depends on how far you take the build... 60's show style it would be great. Flat paint kind of a build it might be out of place. Just what I'm thinking.

22. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I always thought chrome grill shells were more of an east coast style, maybe I'm wrong. John

23. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

24. Kassa coupe

[​IMG]

Lil' Dough

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

25. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

That 3W looks good. The chrome on this is in real good shape, except for one spot at the very bottom. It must have been sitting on the ground at one time, or maybe there was a flaw in the chrome job, but there is about a half dime sized spot where the chrome is peeling/ rust under it. It also has a crack on the cross piece that holds the bars, it seperated. I can probably get away with spot welding that, and then touch up with paint, or paint the whole crosspiece between the bars black.
    As for the identity of this one, it's definitly a 33 or 34, because it is a little deeper than a 32 shell.

26. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Keep it. It definitely is a fifties look.
    And consider this:
    When you're looking down a long row of cars, which one is going to stand out?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  27. I like it! I wouldn't cut it up. Its a '33. The '34 had holes for trim around the bars, and the hole for the "Ford" emblem was not resessed, and was even deeper. I would run it as is, or find another to cut up... its too dang nice.

28. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Ralph,
    If you'll ship it down, I'll put it on my roadster for a public opinion test. It may take a full year of data gathering though.........

Pat

29. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Run it for sure....I have the perfect head lights to go with it.

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Definitely thumbs up.

The chrome gives it a sort of Lagonda or 3½/4¼ Bentley look, mid-late '30s.