Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I just read an ad for a car on here that has all the trim "In Tack" and I've seen that a bunch of times . It's "INTACT" .

Not in a hurry to sell , just testing the waters . Wow , in that case can I offer you more than you are asking for it ?

One more time it's "IMMACULATE" not , "IMMACULANT" or "IMMACULANTE" .

2. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

"ALL NEW BODY PANELS" rusted out P.O.S

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Calling a Model A coupe a '5-window coupe' (with the exception of what, 3? they are ALL 5-windows).

People who call a 'Chevy' a 'Chebby'. Who ever started that should get a good smack upside the head.

4. Deuces

Deuces

For me it's the word "patina" :eek:
    It hurts my fingers just to type the word... :rolleyes:

5. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

When people describe a "Frame off" Restoration on a Unibody car.

Drives me crazy.

6. "78 Camero dint in the passinger finder built 350/350 elderbrock intake 12 volt rear end possi new altinater insides are intack new calibers on the front. needs painted restored worth 10K. $6000. NO BS LOWBALL OFFERS, OR TRADE 4 ?????? WAT U GOT."

this, straight from today's first 20 Cragslist posts...

7. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Saw this today while I was eating lunch watching a Barrette Jackson special... they used it on a few different Mustangs...:(

AAHHH my eyes!

AAHHH my brain!

I hate that sort of writing, when I sell cars online I write everything crisp and precise, but then I get replies like that from people who apparently cannot read or write, but somehow are able to go online and look stuff up.

I saw one last night, kid is selling a trashed 1930 Chevrolet car frame, and he kept calling it a coupe frame... so I asked him, "Do you still have the body?" he said he never had the body, so I ask "How do you know it was a coupe?" he says they were all coupes... he is a young guy and I tried to educate him without being a jerk... but he didn't get it.

I hate it when people call all cars older then 1940 "Roadsters"

A guy called my 31 Pontiac sedan an SUV the other day, it's happened before and it makes no sense to me...

8. sawzall

sawzall

"New Breaks.."

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one more vote for "model A 5 window"

it's like saying "I used to like (choose 1) VW"s, Mini trucks, rice burners, muscle cars and now I like old cars."

10. Zykotec

Zykotec

I love to see ads with old cars that are said to be 99% rust free. On any reasonable sized sedan that would leave what?, 30-40 pounds of rust?

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I never thought of it that way, that's brilliant! :D

12. old me

old me
    from Iowa

A while back looking at a 61 Starliner on the internet. Car advertised as original paint, needing to be repainted because the original clear was flaking off.

Watched a show called South Beach Classics on some channel and the dealer was telling the customer about the 289 in the Studebaker he was selling was the same 289 they used in the Mustang...

13. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

My favorite is, "all the hard work is done". Whose definition of "hard work" are we using here?

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still no clear answer as to what a Camero is.

15. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

How about the people that list parts or cars "For Sell" And the same dude " I am going to sale this"
    The guys that call my 62 Chevrolet Belair sport coupe an Impala

16. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Every single car for sale on Ebay is rare.

17. Yep! That sell/sale reversal is quite annoying.

18. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

19. Zerk

Zerk

Saw that South Beach Classics show and was annoyed at that same false information. My take on that show: The buyer's only hope for a fair deal lies in knowledge of the car and market, and persistance in searching.
    I guess classic car salesmen are mostly just salesmen.

20. tjmercury

tjmercury

"Just needs a little TLC" more like a stick of TNT!

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

22. jipp

jipp

I now understand what a rat rod is and im seeing that to describe everything from a 2 year old vet to a ______.

I can not blame people for spelling errors as mine sucks.. blames 5th grade teacher, hah. was in a desk in the hall for the year.. man if i would of known id be using it to communicate via the internet back then, i may of tried to get back in instead of flirting with the girls :(
    thank you fox for explanation of the 3/4 cam.. always wonder about that. also im guilty of calling the weed whacker type headers zoomies..
    chris.

23. Traditional

Period Correct

Hot Rod

Chopper

Bobber

Boardtrack

24. oj

oj

i hate it when people use the term 'dizzy' for a distributor. Dizzy this and dizzy that, nothing on an engine should be termed 'dizzy' other than some of the goofballs working on them. It is always used by somebody looking for advice too, 'i stuck the dizzy in and...' that is when i end the thread. Best to move on, i just can't help that guy.

25. LOL! :D I can only imagine your response if he said "...STABBED THE DIZZY!" I find it grating too. ;)

26. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

This has probably been mentioned, but I used to see the term "small black Chevy" in the local classifieds. Usually along with the very desirable "four volt mains".

27. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

price.....see ad....

usually means ridiculous

28. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Couldn't agree more........... How about Carby? I think these guys can't spell?:D

29. got a 32

got a 32

"old school" and the car is running a fourbar disc brakes.
    I once had had a guy call my roadster a T Bucket,WTF! I explained it was a roadster,
    he said Roadster ,T Bucket, whatever .I walked away.

30. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! I was starting to think it was just me. Where did this come from? It's dumber than pinstripes on primer. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.