Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage drag boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Chopperimpala,
    I'll look, although the name doesn't ring a bell. If it's not a flatbottom or hydro, the odds are slim that I'd file any info on it, but I'll look. I'll PM you should I find it.

2. Great thread, I think I have posted before. Nice talk and old pics but, is anyone DOING this anymore?

[​IMG]

A few weeks back took my Hondo flat out for a week at Lyman lake in eastern Arizona. Pulled it 250 miles each way with my 66 GTO ( no a/c ).
    Had a blast, it really goes. Engine is a one of a kind 1962 Mickey Thompson HEMI Pontiac- blown, Hilborn injected, magneto, etc. Not a 'staged' pic. I really use this car to bring my boat to the lake. Do not own anything less than 30+ years old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still driving it with a hand control lever for the plates but, am switching to a down pedal soon for better control. Hull is in original condition with original upholstery, floors, etc.

[​IMG]

Would be interested in attending a river gathering of older boats. How do I find out about them?

[​IMG]

Wheeler likes this.
  3. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Sept 10th is the Castle Rock Show n' Shine in Parker, AZ. It would be perfect for your car and boat to show up!

Attached Files:

• cr1.jpg
      cr1.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
    • cr2.jpg
      cr2.jpg
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
  4. TomWar

TomWar

That's great stuff Flyin T. About 25 years ago I started building plugs for molds here in South Florida. But, all for high performance offshore. including the Marlin 35.5.
    But I was very involved in flatbottoms back in the mid 50's to the mid 80's.
    Even bought and ran a small marina on Clear Lake in Norcal from 1972-1979.
    lots of Ski-racing and even Bathtubs LOL.

Wheeler likes this.
  5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

In-law had a 58 Sanger w/ wooden hull named "seven c's" in San Diego, quit racing after they started making pop outs (glass), boat was too heavy.

Wheeler likes this.
  6. flyin-t

flyin-t

I think I would have been hard to leave your own marina. I'd love to do something like that.
    Did you ever cross paths with Don Kirby in Florida? He may have been heading back West about the time you headed East? Local guy here in Bellflower. He built big cats in Florida back then and got popped for laminating coke in the floors. When I was a kid he had a funny car shop and later he ran the glass dept in the early 90's at Warlock when I was a rigger there.

7. Speaking of Rogers. Also own a Rogers jet, also Pontiac powered. Love this boat!

[​IMG]

In the 90's had a 455 with a 428 crank +.060 = 446" with a roller cam and a q jet. Since then, have been slowly pouring money into it as I could. Now, it has a set back blueprinted pump, a jet away, ride plate, diverter, new upholstery and gauges, etc. This week am assembly a 14-71 blown 541" Pontiac for it!
    Planning to have both boats in the water in the coming weeks.

This pic is at Canyon lake area at Tortilla Flat inthe mid 90s. Last had the Rogers in the water in '99 so, is overdue to be used again. It'll be entering its '3rd' life now with so many upgrades.

Vintage high performance boats are a LOT of fun. Whether you like v drives or jets ( I like both ), get one! You will not regret it. There are a lot of good deals out there.
    The v drives are faster and get better fuel mileage but, the jets have more int room, can go in shallow water, have a reverse, etc. Each has their pluses and minuses.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Ever see one with 4 Allisons???... YIKES!

Attached Files:

9. TomWar

TomWar

Flyin T: I think I would have been hard to leave your own marina. I'd love to do something like that.

Hardest I ever worked. I thought just like you, "now I won't have to go home from the lake on Sunday afternoon". What I didn't realize was, Now you gotta work 7 days a wek 6 am to 11 pm. Oh well, it was agreat experiance.

No I don't know Don Kirby.

10. Thanks for this info :)
    This looks perfect for me and my interests.

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

Good point.

12. A few for Hoovs...

Yer killing me, Rich...yer literally killing me. Start posting old Kona adds and it's all over. :D

13. Flyin T,
    The Howard "Patti Waggin" is really out of sight. I have a two page spread on that boat, from a sixties Powerboat article I believe. From the looks of things, you've got lots of cool old pics like me. If you don't have the two page spread, let me know, I'll post it. That's really a beautiful Howard that deserves lookin' at.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Thanks for posting Steve ………….. always cool to see your stuff.

15. callcoy

callcoy

This site brings back lots of memories, appreciate the posts made by all. I was co-owner/founder of Speed and Marine Associates in Orange. We built alot of drag boats, marathon and flat bottom ski boats. Did alot with hydros and ran a twin screw, El Tigre 1 & II, that did well. Also early on had a Top Fuel car running out of our shop that did very well. I stumbled on to this site 2 days ago, has been a great read.
    Steve Ribeau

Wheeler likes this.
  16. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Didnt Rudy Ramos have one called the "Puff Puff" (not sure of the name or if it was 4 but I know he had a boat with 1 Allison)

17. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

FLYIN-T, I need your help, my uncle Bob Cagle ran a blown gas hydro back in the late 60's- early 70's called THE GRIMM REAPER. He mainly ran at Marine Stadium. He set several records with it. I have NO pics of it, I ran searches on several V-DRIVE forums with no luck or memories of the boat?
    This is WILD THING he ran it before THE GRIMM REAPER came along
    Both boats were painted by my dad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. leadsled01

leadsled01

I love this thread...

19. Managed to find a few more cool things...wish I had better comp skills to make them full size. The Tahiti ad is just too bitchin for words!

Attached Files:

20. A few more I found...

Attached Files:

21. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Didnt Hallett occupy that building at one point?

22. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Man what it must have been like growing up in the hey day of all this!! Kinda like growing up around the hey day of gassers and altereds!!
    To be a kid with a father who was IN THE MIDST of this lifestyle must have been freaking incredible! I am in my 40's and while I loved these all my life I just finally was able to buy a vintage jet.
    Grew up in San Diego so you would think that I would have lived this hot rods on asphalt and hot rods on water life style, but NOPE, wasn't allowed.
    It's great hearing you guys tell of your tales, and show pics and shit like that.
    Just wanted to give my appreciation...Thanks, It IS REALLY APPRECIATED!!!
    Ken

23. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

back when I worked for Gaylord, every once and awhile one of the dummies would throw some hot resin in the trash and we would have a shop fire. It was always fun. This was back before EPA standards and we NEVER wore resperators, maybe this is why Im smell-blind.

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

My friend bought the last Gaylord 20 that was sitting on their lot over in Paramount about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a very light lay up but came with a truck load of V-drive parts. I think they were moving to a new location and didn't want to deal with the boat any longer. It was kind rough, been sitting for 20 some odd years but never rigged.

25. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

What a coinsidence. Today I was at an all day computer training class at this building today. Standing outside I was wondering what this "BI" logo cast into the concrete building facade stood for. Now I know

26. flyin-t

flyin-t

It was pretty cool.

What kind of boat did you buy?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  27. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I'm also in my 40's (high 40's) and it was cool!!. I stayed on the water until the early 90's when my first son was born, at this point I had a reason to live and the thrill was no longer worth the risk. If my kids wanted to run a flattie on the river I would say HELL NO, but my father encouraged it. Times have definately changed.
    At the end of my river days I ran a 70's-ish Lavey Craft with a big block, hi rise and dual 750's up and down the Parker Strip. It ran about 80 mph which in a flat bottom feels like 200mph.

28. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Back on post #387...Thats mine. It is a Marlin built by Don Whatmore in Everett, Wa.

Below is a picture of Whatmore in one of his Marlin's he raced called "K Motion". Thats about all the info and other boats by him I could find.
    Mines a '78 but I paln on a "somewhat retro" late 60's early 70's look for it. Flake paint, white tuck/roll, lots of chrome. I took the single tunnel ram top and cut it up and mated it with a dual top so it will have a dual carb set up,(looks pretty good actually loike a factory casting) and I welded up a scoop for it.
    Ken

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  29. callcoy

callcoy

Should give credit where credit is due, as the article states Larry Lee did the graphics on this boat and dozens of others out of our shop. His talent was found on many top fuel cars of the era and was responsible for our logo. Thank you very much for your post, it was great to be remembered. Most of my photos from that time have disapeared, I lent my only copy of Hot Boat to someone who I guess needed it more then I. If I could obtain copies of your mag I would pay what it costs.
    Thank You
    Steve

30. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

When I was a little kid we used to stay at my cousin's place in Parker and their next door neighbor was Howard Brown. The place is still in the family. Howard past on a few years back but his family still owns their place. I see his daughter and grandkids from time to time. They still have Howard's 22 whaler that he built before selling the company. Cool boat.

Wheeler likes this.