Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. RH B.O.T

RH B.O.T

We will have lots of great Aquasco/Capital legends and cars at out Best of times Nostalgia Nationals at VMP May 14-16th. Aquasco manager and promotor Julio Marra will be there with his great "Memory Lane" photo display.Sox vs Jenkins,Bunny,Rollin' Stoned,Daddy Warbucks,Sam Auxier,S&S gasser gang,Surf Stambaugh,Banning Boys,southern slingshots.

Check us out.

2. Deacon Brock

Deacon Brock

RH B.O.T, Where in Fredericksburg are you? I live here also… I started racing at Aquasco/Capital on 1969 and was a regular there until it closed and moved on to MRI and various tracks up and down the east coast. In 1969 and for a few years I raced a 69 mustang, Kenny Keir and I were best friends and did a lot of racing at both tracks, later with a lot of help from Kenny I built a 29T that Roy Wilcher and I ran (and crashed) at Aquasco (those were the days my friend, and I miss him, RIP) but a week later we were back and continued for a few more years with that one before buying the old Kamikaze TAD and racing with Roy Wilcher and Leroy Dewdney for a few years, we had a blast, I introduced Leroy to the drivers seat for a weekend in SC and the rest is history (had to pry his hands off the wheel so I could get back in LOL. After selling the car to Sherman Sligh I drove it for him for about 1.5 years, Sherman sold the car after finding out how fast you can go broke with one of them so I went on to race with Leroy for a few more years… we did very well for a two man team. I gave it all up in 1989 due to a divorce and like an Alcoholic staying away from bars I have never been back. I spent a few years in Competition CB radio (which is about as nuts as drag racing) and now it's motorcycles. Sure do miss it but I don’t miss spending every $ I ever had. I am sure we know many of the same people so if you want to get a coffee and chew the fat about people like Ray English, Woody Hatten (?) Craig “The whoopee car” H. Dickey E., Ernest Johnson, Garland Alston and many others give me a call 540.846.2355

Thanks, Bill Brock

3. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

AQUASCO.

Plum

Attached Files:

4. The Swaglers still have and race this 55 .

5. flhthemi

flhthemi

Well I see this thread has died out a little....I used to live across the street from a great guy that took me under his wing when I was turning 16 and my dad died. Was wondering if anyone had photos of the cars he had/drove. His name is Tom "Smoker" Smith. Think he started with a 59/60 Impala then went to MOPAR about 1963. Late 60's he lost factory sponsorship from MOPAR and started driving Kenny Warren's Virginia Twister.

He's now living between Maryland and North Carolina and recently had surgery, I think, on his knees and is doing well.

I'm trying to collect enough photos of his cars to put a video montage togeather and send to his daughter so she can show it to him. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

Pictures from Super Stock 1966

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  6. Deacon Brock

Deacon Brock

you could try and check with Neil Britt, I see him on face book he is living in Ca,
    <LI class="uiListItem uiListVerticalItemBorder">[email protected]<LI class="uiListItem uiListVerticalItemBorder">[email protected] thanks, Bill Brock

7. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I still have a bunch of those Big Ed's Speed Shop T-shirts. Although, they have shrunk up a lot since then. :D

8. Steve, I can't help with any pictures, sorry, but I just wanted to give you a big thumbs up and vote of encouragement for doing what you are doing. It sounds like Tom Smith stepped up and helped you at a time when you needed it most. It's great that you are now stepping up to give back to him the respect and recognition he earned from you so many years ago. Good luck.......Don.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  9. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

Heres some new ones from Aquasco.

Plum

Attached Files:

10. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Plum, any idea whose Comp car that is? Later version of Ronnie Bohn's Tin Lizzy maybe?

11. fiat

fiat

do any of you remember the pontiac called the greenway cab it was a green 4drpontiac with a cab light on the roof and greenway cab on the doors.

12. fiat

fiat

I have a 37 fiat body that i was told was a race car with a 6 cyl. driven by sherman sligh. anybody know anything about this car.

13. FINLEYCOURT

FINLEYCOURT

Hello, I joined a few days ago because I saw your post about Tommy Colemans 56 chevy. I lived one stree up from him in Wheaton, MD. I first saw his car at the DC Armory Rod & Custom Show, I think it was 1968 or so, I was , brings back memories.

14. FINLEYCOURT

FINLEYCOURT

Hello, I joined a few days ago because I saw your post about Tommy Colemans 56 chevy. I lived one stree up from him in Wheaton, MD. I first saw his car at the DC Armory Rod & Custom Show, I think it was 1969 or so, I was born in 1957, it certainly brings back memories. I didn't know him personally as me and my neihborhood friends were just kids and his house was a block in the direction away from our streets, so we just saw the car on rare occasions when we were riding our bikes and it was outside in the driveway-which wasn't often.

I remember it was two-tone, kelly green bottom and light green top seperated at the side trim. With a white tuck and roll interior, and chrome suspension front and back with a straight front axle on leaf springs-gasser style. Big wide Mickey Thompsons on the back, and I think the frame was green, and alot of the undercariage pieces were chrome. I believe it had a blown smallblock, but those cars had such big engine compartments the hood didn't have a scoop. He repainted it to a single color lime green with dark blue/ black spiderwebbing. The spiderweb was very thin lines, in a random pattern all over the car. I only ever saw it on that car, and It's hard to explain, but it looked good. I lost track of it after that.

I was at a Manasas VA rod gathering last year-at the burger king on route 28 at 234-and talked to a guy who had a 56 chevy, lowered, nice. I told him of the 56 chevy and he said he lived across the street from Tommy Coleman and knew him, and also knows where the car is and who owns it....! Smallworld!

My dad liked cars-he took off when I was 7 so I never had the father/son hot rod experience, but I have been a car lover since I can remember, and my uncle had a 64 impala ss with a smallblock, glasspacks, and jacked up in the rear....really cool! I satisfied my urges by drawing cars and building models when I was young, and going to the Rod & Custom show every year.

Do you have pictures of that 56 chevy you could send? And do you know it's whrereabouts?

15. Just to help keep this Aquasco thread alive, does anyone remember a fellow named Doug DeBord? He raced briefly at Aquasco with a white '51 Olds Club Coupe. Don't know what class as I never saw him race. He lived two doors from me in Landover Hills, Md. in the early to late 1960's and was a big influence on me and my car interests. He also had an Emerald Green '57 Olds hardtop and later a red '64 Corvette Roadster (327-300, 4spd.). I think Doug went to Bladensburg H.S. and would be in his late 60's by now. Any thoughts or memories would be appreciated. I'm sure it's a long shot but would sure like to see him and thank him for the patience he showed a young kid who pestered him and his buddies about car related stuff......Thanks, Don.

16. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I met a guy named Doug DeBord about 15 years ago. I owned a body shop back then. Doug was buying Mercedes and Porches and exporting them back to Germany, He was a customer. If memory serves me right, he was married to a German gal, and his father in law would handle the deal in Germany. I don't know where he is now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. ....THAT'S HIM!!.. Thanks, Geezer, The last I heard of Doug he was living in Crofton,Md. and was in fact brokering German cars back to buyers in Europe. This was around 1998 that I heard about this. I'll do some checking around, maybe he's still in that area. I suspect he may have gone to live in Germany though. I think he spent time there in the Army many yrs. ago and maybe his wife convinced him to move there. Thanks again for that information......Don.

18. SIC98

SIC98

Wow, this thread kinda died out and I cannot get the original pictures to come up, but I had to write something about it, after stumbling across it accidentally it brought back so many memories that don't seem so long ago,of my Dads best friend and my "Uncle" Rufus Boswell's 39 chevy, Bob's Jolly Dolly, wish I could see those pictures, and Harry Peapers, it was cool to see a pic of him in action, they were all people I grew up around as a little kid hanging with my Dad in the pits at Aquasco, Budds creek, Capitol or 75-80, and then when they all stopped drag racing and turned to street rods in the mid 70s, I grew up there as well with Southern Maryland Street Rods it was a big family and I miss them, the only one left now is Rufus or "chief" as I called him back then. My mom even worked in the pits and had a blue 55 chevy named Lil Nuisance (after "chiefs" lil bit), she still zipps around in her Toyota Matrix! Well thanks Schwinn for starting this thread, it's back to the present time for me..:( Thanks, Brian

19. All of those cars you mentioned were always meticulously maintained and presented themselves beautifully. ...Don.

20. Unfortunately, I cudn't see those pix originally posted by Schwinn1, either. But, the other posted pix and the reminiscing brought back so many memories. I didn't go to Aquasco as much as I did Capitol and 75-80, but I was still aware of most of those cars. Bob Bernardon's Jolly Dolly was a real favorite. We were pleased to have it appear at Jalopyrama in 2008.

Attached Files:

21. That car looked as good at Jalopyrama '08 as it looked some 40 years ago launching off the line at Aquasco....just exquisite. Thanks for posting the pic....Donnie.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Donnie's pictures from 1966.

23. Thanks for posting these for me, Tommy. One of these days I'll learn how to do it.

24. If memory serves me right, I took these during the summer of 1966 and developed them the following Feb. Shots are of Ford's Little Yellow Wagon wheelstander, Malcolm Durham's Strip Blazer Chevelle (racing unidentified Mustang) and Gene Mori's V-8 Volkswagon ( in primer, later painted blue, I believe). Enjoy.......Donnie.

25. Kurt_W

Kurt_W
    from Owings, MD

First-timer here, I was looking on the net for Roger and Charlie. I worked with both these guys and knew a bunch of others that used to hang with them. They told me stories of street racing somewhere in "no-man's land" around 395/295. I'm only 54 so it's before my time.

Some of the guys were in a car club called either the Wing Nuts or The Fly Wheels, can't quite recall which it was.

Guys I did meet in that club were Larry Larson (now deceased), Dave Jenkins, Hubert Scott, Ron Ferarr and I think Ken Kline. These names may ring a bell to some of you old timers. Nice group of guys, glad I had the pleasure of meeting them.

Thanks for the memories.

26. papphonda

papphonda

how about sherman slys henry j or opel... and malco vette, and poole bros 48 austin b/a

27. Gang Green Jr.

Gang Green Jr.
    from VA

Gang Green was owned by my father, Boyd Allison.
    He lives in Eastern VA and still builds engines.
    I remember Gang Green sitting in our garage. Figured every kid had a race car.

28. ronniekkrc

ronniekkrc
    from annapolis

Hey guys
    I am new on here. I love this thread. i work for ken keir race cars in owing md. I am planning a day trip to Aquasco in the next week or so with some guys who used to race there. (Ken Keir, Bill Oberry, Harvey Gates and maybe Leroy Dewdney) i was hoping somebody could give any info on how to get in to the property. Hoping to get some good pictures and even better stories.
    any help would be great.
    thanks
    Ronnie

29. Deacon Brock

Deacon Brock

When you make that trip with the old gang tell them Bill Brock said hey, I have a lot of good memories from Aquasco drag way and one not so good one, when the PG police busted my head open with a slap jack, took me to jail and charged me with assaulting them LOL, my best friend Kenny loaded my stuff up and came and got me out of jail&#8230; I raced a lot of years with Leroy and Roy Wilcher some of the best days of my life&#8230; and I am glad to see Bill is doing well, I remember when we all had to leave him in Fl. After his heart attack (bummer) post some pictures. Thanks, Bill Brock

30. ronniekkrc

ronniekkrc
    from annapolis

I heard the story of you getting busted. I believe i heard about a steering wheel flying out of the top of an altered while making a pass too. Bill has to be one of the toughest old guys I know. Even with the loss of his arm, he keeps pluggin away. Always smiling and joking