Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Is it a FX Comet?

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I think this is the Comet that "might" be the Sachs and Sons second A/fx Comet driven by Bill shrewsberry.Would love to find out for sure. Great photo, the influence of Cragars in 65,and the three point roll bar. Awesome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres a pic of Ed Rashanski's 65 A/fx Marauders Cyclone with a set of those Howards wheels on the Back. One of my favorite 65's.

So I'm thinking someone needs to put a photo list of the 65"s at the 200 page mark. The 4 big Cammer cars ,the three Wedge cars, the 20 B/FX cars.Specialty Comets from Gapp and The one in Hawaii.

[​IMG]

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Still looking for Info on this one. Looks like one of the early Comets ,First Ten. Teardrop hood, Front fenders with the chrome insert on the end.Still has its red Interior. Someone has to know??

[​IMG]

5. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

The 1965 A/FX Comet from Hawaii was actually a B/FX Comet that was converted to A/FX specs using Dyno Dons Comet as a reference.Jimmy Pflueger had alot of "pull".

Attached Files:

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I knew you would know that one. Ha Did you get to see it run live. It looks Wicked just sitting there.

[​IMG]

7. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Ken, did you ever see my post I made after I made contact with Jim Barillaro Jr? Well he had spoken to his dad to get some details and here is what he got...

http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?p=5953103#post5953103

post 2128

8. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I did see that. I thought someone on here had said they saw some doors that said Sachs and Sons on them from a 64 Comet in the attic in a Barn.

Almost have the 64 ready for the show. Looks like Fast Eddie is traveling with me to Buffalo. I think he heard about the free food or something. Any of the Hambers going drop by and visit. Kinda weird going that far and not racing. Leaving next Thurs. Heres the Flyer and the Link.

http://www.marillaautoshow.com/

[​IMG]

9. choppers

choppers
    from SoCal

Roy, do you have any contact with Mike at all?

I emailed him but did not get a response for the October show.

Thanks Roy,
    Tony

10. ReevesRacing

ReevesRacing

That's a good question. Everything came apart in the traps on the big end. The drive shaft whipped out at the big end with one piece going right and the other going left. They guy I was racing said the back of the car jumped a foot off the ground. It missed all the suspension fortunately. It shut the track down for about 20 minutes while they cleaned it up. Very embarrassing…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    We haven’t taken the transmission out yet to see what it looks like inside but we are assuming it locked up inside and that's what twisted the drive shaft. It was custom made for the car but came from just a local shop. I have raced many cars but this is my first experience with a purpose built race car. I am only running a mildly prepped 302. Flat tops, World Winsor Jr. heads, Eldelbrock Performer RPM intake and cam, and a Holley 650 double pumper. 28” slicks with a 4:30 gear and a petty much stock C4 with a TCI 2800 stall converter. I just bracket race for fun I’m not a serious racer. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    For us being it’s kind of hard to determine exactly what gave up first or what happened. We are going to get a JW bellhousing and a manual valve body from TCI and rebuild a new transmission with Kevlar clutches. And get another driveshaft. Maybe we should invest in one from a speed shop?<o:p></o:p>

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Tony;Mike Brown,818-599-5741,or,Michael Jackson,323-356-7069.You could try the Cougar Club web site,www.socalcougarclub.com .You can PM me your address and I'll send you a flier. ROY.

12. I bet the driveshaft let loose first. Possibly the universal joints at the rear yoke then the driveshaft causing it to break the trans. If the trans locked up first you're lucky the driveshaft twisted off!! Otherwise you would have taken a wild ride!!

Did it vibrate prior to coming apart?

Make sure you check your pinion for straightness before you put it back together. It could be bent now. The best way is to pull the rear apart and put the pinion in a lathe with a dial indicator.

Dynatech makes a nice driveshaft. They can be found on the net.

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Reeves Racing;nothing wrong with racing for fun! I sometimes wish I would have stayed in that mode! I would look into a custom drive shaft,you need one anyway,I run an Inland Empire,31/2" aluminum shaft with billet tube ends and solid 1350 U-joints.Like a friend tells me,"you can break an anvil if you beat on it long enough",VERY TRUE!!! ROY.

14. SLCK64

SLCK64

Hey anyone seen or have pics of any 4 door Comets that were raced in stock class? Thats the only thing I can think of they would race in as all the big boys raced 2 doors. Like Joe Schmo weekend warrior guy raced his daily competitively, maybe had a couple local sponsors or something?

15. ReevesRacing

ReevesRacing

It gave no warning it just banged, jumped and then went quiet. The jolt knocked the rearview mirror off the button on the windsheild, broke the alternator off at the pivot mount, bent the flex plate, knocked the nose off the starter and severed the bellhousing all the way around.

Both U-joints are intact and the u-bolts are still in the pinion yoke. They are splayed out because the rear joint was just yanked out. The front slip yoke is undamaged. I will check the run-out on the rear pinion yoke before we start running again.

There was no vibration leading up to it. I think the autopsy of the transmission will help tell what happened first.

Attached Files:

16. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Sounds kinda like the old "accidental reverse" problem which led to reverse lock-out shifters. Could you have bumped the shifter into reverse?

17. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

MercuryJunky,I thought you would like these pictures.

Attached Files:

18. Didn't take you long to get those off of Facebook from Mr. Hernandez's page...:rolleyes:

His family has posted some great stuff on there.

19. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Amazing stuff on his page...also,I was talking to Dave Kunz last night and your name came up....

20. ReevesRacing

ReevesRacing

No I have a good shifter with reverse lock out. But we do think the tranny tried to go into two gears at once. The valve body was suspect because second gear would "go away" and the engine would flare so I had to bump it on into third on both passes. Irregardless we are going to look at all the broken parts and try to get better than stock on the next build up, I did get the tear in the floor pan patched today and re-welded the rollbar brace. I also added a regulation drive shaft loop instead of the weak one I had on there. Now we just need to collect all the nessary parts for the rebuild and take another swing.

Man there are some great looking Comets in this thead. I'm loving it.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Mitch;they say "you learn by your mistakes",so I think you have learned the "FUN"[expense] of drag racing!!! Good luck on the repairs,hope they don't take too long. ROY.

22. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

hey dog, that is sweeeet. love those images

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The other day, I found an old car mag, left it at the shop, you know, in the reading room, but it had quite an interview with Bill Shrewsberry, from his career beginnings. Alot of stuff I had no idea of. Like who he raced for, and with, before he really hit the circuit. I'll bring it back in an see if it'll scan, or I'll photo it and post it for a read!

24. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

This is an interesting one Mercuryjunky. Probably pictured here at DetroitDragway.

I lived in St.ClairShores about 10 years ago. Pointe Transmission still exists:D

http://pointeautomatictransmission.com/

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

A couple of friends of mine, a couple of Hambers one being a T-Bolt expert gave me a little help with this one.

It might be this one. I have this one listed as one of my 20 back on pages 99 and 100, but now I think it may be a second owner car, so first is still not clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That NHRA Sticker in the rear qtr window looks to be in the exact location. Looks like that Roll Bar Location is in the same spot.

Awesome Job Dennis

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Not going to make this show, I had a close friend just pass away this last weekend. Its been a rough summer, I've lost two close friends and my Brother in just the last two months. I know Diane would still love everyone nearby to still come out there.

Ken

27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Wow I've never seen those before. It looks like the paint on that lettering is still fresh. I wonder if that was before they ever got out to Pomona. Those pics may be the first ones taken after they got the car.

Great Job

[​IMG]

28. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This is a buddies car here in Denver that just made the cover. Go get this mag , 63 rcode galaxie, 67 fairlane with a Boss 429, and a cool 55 with a aluminum 427, All Black and Bad. And best of all 8 pages of Ford and Mercury A/FX History. All this in a Modern Mustang Mag, Hard to believe. Now if they would do that more often.

[​IMG]

29. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This pic came from the FE Forum. just this last weekend in Byron,Ill. Meltdown Drags.

Nice looking 65 And 61( I know those Pontiac guys are probably after his hood scoop)

[​IMG]

30. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

good lookin one at the byron meltdown drags with raidar wheel. tried postin a pic but wouldn't let me