Register now to get rid of these ads!

first manual car you ever drove?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CopperBandit, Jul 24, 2011.

1. vegas

vegas

My uncle's beater car, a 1976 AMC Gremlin X. :rolleyes: Straight 6 with a 3 speed on the floor. He was the only family member with the patience to teach me how to drive a manual transmission :D. I'm pretty sure that car was made of 100% rust with some paint holding it together, being it was in WI. Almost every vehicle I've had since I was 16 has been a manual trans though, so I guess it worked.

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

First car would have been a 50 Chev. Drove tractors and pickups before that though.

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

1936 bowtie
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

4. This thread brought back a lot of good memories.The first car I drove was a 1954 Ford 2 door sedan with a 6 cylinder engine.It belonged to a friend of mine's sister and he was using it while we installed a new engine in his !953 Ford 2-door hardtop.
    He wanted a pack of cigarettes and asked me to go to a nearby store to get them.I said I didn't feel like walking there and he offhandedly said,"Take Liz' car." As I was only 12 years old at the time,this was like giving a kid the keys to a candy store!
    After a couple of false starts I finally managed to get the car rolling and navigated the mile or so to the store and parked out front.At the time(1956)buying cigarettes was no big deal if the owner knew you.
    Getting ready to drive back,I had just started the car when up pulls the local police.The officer saw me behind the wheel and I knew I was done.He was good friends with my grandfather(whom I lived with)and knew how old I was.
    After a few questions he suggested I get in the cruiser and he would give me a ride HOME! He knew that I would likely as not get a good whipping for this and it would be far more painful than any visit to the police station.
    He did have the courtesy to stop and tell Art(the guy who sent me)to pick up the car at the store.
    That was to be the first of many rides in the back of the cruiser for driving a car without benefit of a license;in fact I wasn't able to legally drive(due to that fact)until I was 23 years old.Didn't stop me from driving though;I had to keep my car at a friend's house in the next town and hitch a ride over there when I wanted to take it out(which was about every night).
    There was also the time the next summer that I spent on a farm and got to drive a 1941 Ford pickup around and even into town so the owner(my grandfather's cousin)could buy dynamite(at the local hardware store no less),but that is story for another time.

5. 3quarter32

3quarter32

My first was a 36 Ford pickup. Floor shift, welded up fenders from the rough country roads. The windshield had holes in it with 1/4" bolts with canvas belting on each side to help it from cracking more and leaving the frame. Next was a 50 Ford coupe with 3 on tree. Ahh, the good ole daze.

6. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

1981 Subaru station wagon. Horrible. It was tan with tan vinyl interior. Gross.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

51 Chevrolet 4 dr. that I learned to drive on. Neither of my boys can drive a stick shift.

I always think about my uncle when talking about learning to drive a stick shift. That's all we had back then. Automatics were pretty rare. He was trying to help my older brother learn on a 51 4dr Merc. He had us rolling on the floor describing my brothers attempt to pull away form the light. He claimed that both the front and rear bumpers made contact with the concrete 3 times each before the old Merc got to the other cross walk, it was bucking so bad.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My dad's work car - 1947 Nash Ambassador when I was 12 (1956), first legal stick I drove was a 48 F6 dump truck in the pea fields of Idaho in 1958 (farm license). My first five cars were stick shift. First A/T car was a 50 Olds 88 2dr fastback.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

The title should be more like >>>

Who OWNS a car with a manual

Or Who knows HOW to drive a manual

My First 3 car were Manual 3 on the tree ....

'49 Chev, '54 Chevy Pick up,
    '55 Ford

Learned in a Ford Courior Pick Up in Dirt Field :cool:

10. Fairmont.........Great ride?!?!?!?!:confused:
    Anyhoo, I learned to drive in a 57 Porsche Speedster. Now, THAT, was a great ride.

11. My first manual car was a 47 Chevy 2 1/2 ton grain truck. I had to slide down on the seat to push in the clutch and put it granny gear then I could shift it without the clutch (a trick that Grandpa showed me ).

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Not counting my grandads 52 John Deere A that I started driving in 1960 at age 8 (I was born the same hear as the tractor and I own it today) I first drove a standard at age 10. It was my Dads 52 Ford 2 dr Custom. We all had a thing for 52 models I think. I didn't drive an automatic trans car until 64 at age 12 when my parents bought a 64 Belair. So a better Q for me would be when did you first drive an auto trans car.

13. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

51 Willys CJ3A

14. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Dad's 64 Ford pickup. He used to let me drive it around his track (he trained race horses). Then he had me drive him to the local fairgrounds when I was 14. I did good as long as I didn't spill his beer that he put on the dash! Try to get away with that now!

15. jipp

jipp

69 vw baja bug. cant drive a stick anymore because of a bad leg.. i fail.
    chris.

16. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

My dad's '71 Ford Capri race car, but never really took it on the street, just went around in 1st and 2nd.

I really learned on an '00 SVT Contour and a '90 Honda Civic.

17. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

62-63 International pickup
    pulling an anhydrous ammonia bullet, no less...
    14 yrs old.

18. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

My fathers 1961 Dodge 100 pickup, 225 and 3 on the tree. We towed our oval track race car and trailer with that truck from 1966 to 1972.

19. 1952 dodge 1 ton A frame truck in my uncles wrecking yard.

20. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

My grandpa's '27 Ford Sedan was first, not really a manual, but not really an automatic either.

I learned to drive in my dad's 72 C20 pickup, 4-speed granny tranny.

My first car was a '70 Nova with a 3 on the tree.

21. 65ish Ford 16 ft Grain bed truck.....

22. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I learned in my Dad's '88 F150.

23. Yeah dude we didnt have any money when I was growing up so... it WAS a GREAT ride.

24. stronga

stronga

I learned in a 1964 four door Chevy II with a three on the tree.

25. mastadon

mastadon

My junior year of high school in 81 I skipped school and snuck out my big brothers A12 SuperBee.Man that car was a handfull,I was lucky to get back in the garage in one piece.To this day he still doesn't know what I did.

26. '91 S-10 (I was 12)

27. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

My 1937 Oldsmobile six cylinder 4 door sedan back in 1955 at age 13:).
    John

28. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

64 Ford Econoline window van. My dad brought it home from work, and I got to drive it around a big empty parking lot. Left an impression on me. I've kinda wanted one for years.

29. Joey7319

Joey7319

First clutch I drove was a ford 8 n tractor then a1978 datsun pickup

30. lucky ink

lucky ink

1954 chevy when i was 14... lol