Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Gear Gurus help needed please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

9" ford chunk, I had to change the spool from 33 spline to 31spline spool. So I just installed new spool and carrrier bearings I didnt disturb the pinion. This was an already used gear set. I marked it and put it back with the same teeth meshing. So how does this pattern look?(this is with .008 back lash) I cant get it to leave much of a defined pattern on the coast side. I should have checked the pattern before I took it apart to see what it was like but I didnt. I did check back lash previously and it was at .014 and seemed a bit too much. This is a 5.67 gear but will likely not see much if any track time going in a B/FX clone Falcon.
    The firs pic is drive side Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Drive side low (toward the toe) which is good because the teeth do deflect some. Hard to see the coast side but it looks decent. Should be just fine. The drive pattern I see will handle the power. It's hard to get a good pattern on used gears.

3. r7bis

r7bis

4. Run a piece of paper through it ,see where it squeezes,,,

5. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

If you didn't move the pinion and only move the backlash a little, it should not have changed much. You have to load it hard to get a good pattern. Put and axle in it and have someone try to fight you while you turn the pinion with a socket and long bar and the pattern will be easier to see. If it was OK before it should still be fine. I would probably run it.

p.s. you need not mark the teeth and try to mesh them back. One has and even number and one has an odd or thy are both odd (depends on the numbers) so that they purposely don't mesh with the same teeth all the time. Helps them to wear even. All teeth from the pinion eventually mesh with all teeth from the ring gear eventually.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks for the quick replies. I've only done a few of these in the past and with new gears they left a nice defined pattern unlike this used set.

An old timer once told me he set them up with a piece of paper. If it cut it it was tight if it kinked it it was good

7. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

if it kinked it it was good[/QUOTE]

boy, been there!:D

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

boy, been there!:D[/QUOTE]

I should have known :D

9. breeder

breeder