Register now to get rid of these ads!

RebUilt quadrajet problems HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Larry T

Larry T

I agree. I think it's kind of ironic to install a Holley to fix a fuel leak. (G)
    Larry T

2. Larry T

Larry T

I just looked at Summit and it looks like new Holley spread bores run from $390.00/$450.00.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Take the thing back to them and you said they tested the carb while you were waiting for it.Ask them to let you watch the test process. Are you running the stock fuelpump or an electric pump.Quadrojets are good carbs but fuel pressure needs to be right. Holley spreadbore,that must be the joke of the day.

4. davedriveschevy

davedriveschevy

x2 :)

5. I am running a stock mechanical pump.
    I just replaced the pump too.
    Thanks guys.
    I will wait to take it to him.
    I will ask him if I could watch them testing it.

6. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Larry I know what you are saying, and back when I built a lot of them I would have wanted it brought back to me also. The part that smelled funny to me in the story is the fact they told him they were testing it, if they were rigged up to test with fuel, I don't think it would have leaked when installed. I always had enough confidence in my builds that I did not wet test them if I sent with someone to install their selves.

7. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

There is one little trick you can try when the carb floods like that, get a piece of gasket material or cardboard and a pair of needle nose pliers, fold the gasket material over the fuel hose just ahead of the fuel pump and squeeze it flat shutting off the supply. Have a buddy try and fire it up and control the flow of fuel with the pliers, you can shut it plumb off or give it more quickly. If you have introduced some trash, sometimes the fuel surging through will flush it on out.

8. Thanks but I dont have 600+ fora carb.
    I assume thats how much he would charge.
    and my sbc aint that fancy
    I will consider it tho

9. F&J

F&J

You should just pull the carb top off. It is quick and easy once you know how.

I have not looked, but I'd bet there may be a youtube video on q-jets.

10. I almost got the top off but I chickened out.
    If I get the top off,Am I able to buy the needle seats at an auto parts store???
    like I said I found out that the float is brand new,its chinese but its new.

11. Irish

Irish

Remove the screws from the top, 9 I believe. Knock the roll pin out off the accerator pump arm in toward the carb top, but leave a space so you can pry it back through the arm when you reinstall it. Remove the top. The float will be there. You'll see a very small wire hook which hangs the float needle from the float. Lift the float out and you can access the float valve which consists of the needle and the seat. See if there is a piece of dirt in there holding it open. You can blow with your mouth through the inlet pipe while you push down with your finger on the float and see if it seals. If you let it off you can blow the needle off the seat and hear the air blow through. If it leaks and there's not crap in it then replace it with a needle and seat kit from the parts store. You will get a new float valve seat, needle, gasket and hook for the needle. See this to adjust the float level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1AFZtjb5i8

You can do it!

12. Larry T

Larry T

If you take it apart, you can kiss any kind of warranty good bye.

13. Thanks alot.
    I am going to San Diego for a couple of days on vacation so I will take the carbwith me to mess with it.
    I am sure I will get bored sometime and I get things done when I am relaxing.

14. The guy wont know that I took it apart.
    I hope hes not on the HAMB.

15. Larry T

Larry T

Yes he will. I can tell you from experience. Everyone has their ways of doing things and can tell by looking if someone else has been in it.

16. Yeah you right.

17. budd

budd

have you had any luck?

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and I think Larry T and the others will agree. Once you start "working on" the carb yourself or take it to another shop and have it worked on all warranties or guarantees just went out the window.

19. I was on Vacation this week so I haven't had a chance to go to Vegas.
    Hopefully next week.
    I haven't touched the carb or truck.
    Thanks for the interest.

20. Clik

Clik

If your Quadrajunk is like mine it puked a lot of gas into the intake. You might find a lot of gasoline in the oil. Smell the dipstick and check if the oil is thin. If it is, don't start the engine!

21. will do that.
    That sucks I just changed the oil.
    thanks
    I can only imagine what would happen if I started it and it had gas...

unless your yanking mi chain

22. budd

budd

do you have pictures of where the carb is leaking gas?

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If I file on a nicrophyl float, I always re-seal the area I file/sand with a skim coat of 2-part epoxy. I have heard that if you dont they will absorb fuel over time. I have never bothered to test this, as it is pretty damned easy to just re-seal the surface of the float, so why tempt fate?

24. Thadd

Thadd

FWIW, Q-jets are decent carbs; I see stockers and Super stockers running high 9's low 10's with Q jets.
    The guys who rebuilt yours are not in business to rip you off on a carb job. They are working stiffs just like the rest of us, and occaionally a comeback happens. The guy should be anxious to fix it and make it right. He doesn't need a bunch of people finding out that he can't achieve what he is in business to do, so he will probably leap at the chance to make it right. Give him a chance, and all of the info that you have posted here, and I suspect that you will end up a happy camper
    Thadd

25. This is the biggest bunch of BULLSHIT, I have ever seen. Have you even read his entire post? I'm not talking about the performance end of your comment, just the kiss ass bullshit you spewed about that shop. It starts right out with B.S., they need to go to the ware house for a replacement- 2 hours- B.S., where is the warehouse, San Francisco, they are slamming a rebuild on his carb. If you believe that 2 hour warehouse BULLSHIT, I feel sorry for you. Then they are " testing " his rebuilt carb- more B.S. We probably wouldn't be here if they had "tested" his carb. Then they actually admit it IS in fact his old carb- know why, cause he called them on it. He caught them in a lie, and called them on it. If everything he posted is correct, that shop needs to have there name out there and then they wont try an pull this BULLSHIT on anyone else. Lets all hold hands now and blow some fairy dust on the carb and have some nice warm fresh baked brownies. Maybe you want to help him out with some gas money Happy Camper.

26. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Waiting for the answers!!

27. budd

budd

this thread just went BIPOLAR..lol

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Is going bi-polar "traditional"?:rolleyes: gotta wonder though, is Rolling Hills CA about a hundred miles from Death Valley CA? Inquring minds are wondering. ;)

29. brad chevy

brad chevy

Tradition,crap responces like the Thadd post is typical 1st post from somebody who can"t read the the rules,do an intro or even make a bit of sence. Whoever built the carb does shoddy work,bottom line.