Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you are "That Guy"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilt, Jun 24, 2011.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

2. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I just collect parts for future projects, but sometimes I go overboard.
    Or there is a deal just too good to pass up. I needed 2, 59 Caddy
    tail lights. I have 14 complete assy's, and just won two more. It's a damn
    sickness I tell ya ;). I did scrap 3 flatheads this year (to a Hamber) for
    cheaper than scrap prices.:) Now if I can get rid of my late 60's mopar
    parts. Sold that car in 02'.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, that's the sad truth. And the guys who sneak onto your property or into your buildings when you're not there to ID them, turn them in (or worse) don't give a rat's ass HOW OLD OR RARE something is, just so long as it's made of steel, iron, copper or brass. If they'll ruin a business person's refrigeration unit to scavenge copper, what the hell do they care about a 70-year-old car or pickup? I'd laundry-list some of the stuff (incl. engines and whole cars!) brazenly stolen from us by b-------s in our territory, but it would brown me out for the whole day. I helped put one SOB in prison, but there are always others ready to take on the rip-off-and-scrap-it role. Sad. IMO, there are druggies, yes, but there's a whole group of low-lifes who think stealing is a sport -- putting something over on somebody who works for what they've got. There's nothing clever -- or brave -- about sneaking around in the middle of the night. They've are thieving cowards. End of rant.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Retired last fall. I'm 60 and last year I began selling a lot of stuff I haven't looked at in years, and probably wont anytime soon. Still have tons to sell, and I'm concentrating on just getting the 3 cars that are driving in even better shape. If I continue to sell a little each month for the next couple years I may get rid of most of it.
    I'd rather see it all go, and the money reinvested into the ones I use, than see the other stuff just sitting and not used.

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

tell him to show his wife the covers and tag them with your name and price so when he dies you can have them, worked for me with an old studebaker hoarder, I actually ended up with some stuff free!!

6. Bucknsac

Bucknsac

That is my Dad...and as he likes to tell people that stop to ask him if his cars are for sale, "No they're not, now get F' out of here!" Ya gotta love ol' school dads. :)

7. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

My Dad is that guy as well. He has cars that haven't been touched in 40 years. Guess I will get them when he passes cause I can't touch them now!
    I have a pretty good stock pile built up but with a few exceptions I would sell any of it. The last few years have been sponsored by my flippin so there is alot more in and out then there used to be. Wish I had time to build them all! Since I don't there is a price on each one, it sits here until somebody coughs it up or I have time to do something with it.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm becoming older and feeling it and don't want to be "That Guy" So I have been selling things to good homes for a while now. Yesterday I watched my '63 GT Hawk drive off into the freeway traffic. Bound for a new home and new adventures. I hope he finishes his plan. I still need to find homes for my '62 Lark and '72 Vega (Packard powered) I'm keeping my '29 roadster and my '52 Stude 1/2 ton. I'll get to them someday.

Attached Files:

9. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Wow, a Packard-powered Vega - that's something you don't come across every day!

10. Igosplut

Igosplut

A local guy here fits that description. He was the original owner of a hemi superbird (and had somewhat built his house around it), and had a barn full of cars and parts. Wouldn't sell anything for years, till the bird obtained too much value. The roof finally came down in the barn squashing a 1950 Henry J (that he had been painting with linseed oil to preserve it no less). The last I saw the barn (and he STILL wouldn't sell anything except real junk) there was a 60s 427 Ford sideoiler dual carb motor complete sitting on it's side.....

11. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

sorry to say--i hope you will leave this stuff to someone whos knows what it is and its worth-or itll be lost and be turned into a prius---

i have a 10 year plan---for some reason it keeps getting extended--im only 40 and i only have 7 project cars[sold a few----ok 2]---3 of them are close to being ''done'' just needing minor things-like interior work---------i have to keep accruing these parts to finish the ones i havent done yet
    i did the whole divorce thing-yes it thins out the herd----but then you say''i used to have a spare engine and a spare trans''--

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well motor on down 101 or 280 and see one for your self. Bring your checkbook. I am dealing. Everything must go. Big Pre Speedweek sale. Any reasonable and some unreasonable offers accepted.

13. I was that guy, until earlier this year. A combination of several events made me realize I should sell off everything I won't be using and build something with everything else. Those events being:
    A. getting laid off
    B. throwing my back out again, reminding me that I'm getting older
    C. the realization that I'll be spending yet another summer without driving a bad-ass ride

So, I decided to sell off a ton of stuff, a few cars, and concentrate on what I have. If all goes well, I should have something done in a month or so. Not DONE done, but done enough to drive and not be embarassed.
    I just got tired of being that guy, and I'm fighting back my urges to hoard. So far, so good.

14. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I was that guy until about a year ago. I'm 70 years old and I told my wife how I hated these guys that wouldnt sell anything. She looked at me and said " you dont like yourself ". that got me to thinking. since that day I've sold my 40 ford pickup, 1966 dodge 2 dr ht, 3 57 chevys and a building full of parts. I'm building my grandson a 45 chevy trk. [ an old military truck ton and a half trk I'm making a pickup out of.] All I have left is a 54 buick with a manual trans. that I'm going to sell Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I kind of like myself too.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm only 68 but I'm trying to be like you. Sold all my Hemi stuff. Sold my Ford Tank motors. Sold all my Plymouth Banger stuff. Finially sold the '63 Hawk. (Damn near gave it away) Still want to sell the Lark and Vega. But I need help. As in a buyer. I'm not giving away a cherry black plate '62 Lark with a 383 and 4 speed, new $3400 interior. new tires and Americans, nine inch rear with Alston ladder bars and on for peanuts. Same thing for a full frame Vega, Packard powered, top loader nine inch, SCTA record holder. It works both ways. Just cause you want it and I am not using it, doesn't make it worthless.

16. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

17. I WAS working tward being "that guy".....then my ex-wife's lawyer mad me sell it all..... :mad:

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I say take what it takes but finish the damn thing at least enough to drive it for a while or race it or what ever. I know guys who are always building some car but have never finished anything. After a while they sell whatever they have and start something else. drives me nuts. The rest of these rules are so so. I don't like seat belts and I don't like nannies. And rule #40. Why should I be taking some young guy for a ride? Go down to the VA. maybe they will loan you an old guy who will like the ride.

19. when i started rodding i bought a model A sedan, put 25K in parts in it and about 5 months of bodywork
    was not getting done
    bought a a roadster
    53 chev
    63 GMC
    63 Riv
    60 invicta
    so got to do shows and hit the road:D
    so it took me 50 years to do this stuff and finally got started 4 years ago
    but everyone wants to buy the A
    actually thinking of going to work on it again but the maintence of the others take up a lot of time

and EVERY model a on the HAMB for sale i look at and want to buy some of them:eek:

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Being "that guy" may or could be a problem, but on the flip side, how many times have some of you gotten rid of something only to need it later and found it unavailable? I have hardly anything and it's happened to me.

21. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

I was accused of being "that guy" by my dad a couple of days ago, as I had dragged home Pilot-House #6 from "that guy" south of Dallas. "that guy" was a hoarder who was letting go of stuff because of deteriorating health and an impending move "to a smaller place" (nursing home?). He had this on CL for $1:
    [​IMG]
    I went to go look at it, tripping over an old catalytic converter, peeling away the weeds & vines to find this:
    [​IMG]
    I made him an offer, he made a counter-offer, we then settled on a price we could both live with. So a week later, went to pick this up:
    [​IMG]
    This is a 1953 Dodge Spring Special long bed, a rare collector's item that was being used to hold old tires & household garbage for the past 20 yrs. But "that guy" was wistful as I was chaining this piece of history down, saying that he was gonna miss that old truck. :rolleyes:

I'm glad this ol' boy was able to let go, but I wonder what he's going to do with that complete Sun engine tester he had sitting in the corner of that barn of his. He started to talk about how he taught mechanics how to use it back in the day, then quickly changed the subject. So maybe I'll check in on him in a few weeks and see if he needs a new home for that too.

"that guy" is somebody I loathe when I see their collection wasting away in the elements. I don't want to be "that guy", but with a job with a large workload, aging parents who are too hard-headed to accept their limits, and a house that seems to have one problem that leads to another, getting back to my hobby has been a real challenge for the past 5 yrs. I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel; hopefully, that light ain't a train.

22. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

IMHO ... a working man does not need or can do justice to over one project at a time.

Agreed

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Actually, I'm the OTHER guy. I pretty much sell everything that's left over after a build. Some vintage, some not so much. And - honestly - I almost give it away, but I always talk to a prospective buyer...and if he has any stuttering problems when it comes to discussing hot rods - I just tell him I only sell to guys/gals IN the hobby, not on the periphery trying to line their pockets.

dj

24. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

I've been practicing, just about weekly, to be "that Guy" I always seem to stumble onto something that I might use for one of my projects ! I've also realized, I'm much better at buying, than I am at selling!

25. I consider myself a "collector". My wifes calls me a "hoarder". I point out that everything I have has a price tag on it and can be parted with no problem.....

26. My dream is to be featured on that show "Hoarders".....but instead of boxes and garbage piled up in my house, I'll have 40 or 50 cars, some running, some not and two or three barns piled high with old car parts.

Then that one hot blond-headed psychologist on the show will show up and try to cure me, but instead, by the end of the show, they'll show her at a swap meet with me, buying yet another bucket full of old one-barrel carburetors and riding in the passenger seat of my 54 Mainline as I lay a scratch in the parking lot.

Yeah....I know....I need to get out of the house more.

27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

ok,my adress is 3407 W 2---,nah,your playing with me.:)
    i'm bad for selling cheap or giving stuff away too.mostly to younger guy who are in old junk,some ones gotta spread the disease after we're gone.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

28. sumo

sumo

here's the "THAT GUY" I know

29. sumo

sumo

another from Detroit