Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have i completly lost it? I want a Model A daily.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So im looking REALLY hard for a decent running model A ford. But i have to kinda question my sanity sometimes, seeing as how i would be planning on driving it as a daily driver. I have a nice chevy colorado for a daily, but it has been started once in the last 2 weeks, as iv been driving my 41' Nash damn near EVERY day. I would give the truck to a family member in need of a vehical, IF i could find a model a to replace it. How are they as a daily? Anybody else as crazy as this 20 year old? Iv already got my 28 RPU that im building, but its gonna be v8 flatty with overdrive, and done in about 3 years. Have i lost it? :rolleyes:

2. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Sure! But that is the ticket to this club. If we didn't think out of the box we'd be driving a 20 yr ricer!

3. It worked for people in the '20's, '30's, etc. Go for it!

4. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Worked for me!

5. Yep you've lost it, congratulations! !

Back in late 20s and early 30s model A s were daily drivers. Road conditions changed, freeways developed, speeds increased, tires and brakes improved, commuting distances were longer.

There's still folks who get around just fine with horse and buggy, different lifestyle but they manage quite well.

If your giving up your modern truck smd going to drive a 80 year old car daily, what are you going to do when it breaks & it will , you could ride a bicycle to the parts store but they wont have what you need. Driving stops while you wait on the brown truck to show up.

More power to you, but 80 years ago most folks had at least one horse for backup & a Ford dealer That stocked parts.

It certainly wouldn't fit into my lifestyle, but it may suite yours perfectly. I say do it if you can because one day it may no longer be feasible for you to do it.

6. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

7. always thought about doing that, and document every day in a diary for one year, recording maintenance, break downs, and any problems. it then would make a good story. DO IT.

8. Are you thinking about driving a bone stock Model A?
    Or.... are you talking about a modified one?
    A modified one sure, great idea, I would do it!
    A bone stock one, I don't think so!

Klaus

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Model A has been my everyday driver for the last 15 years. Rain, sleet, snow...even drove through a tropical storm once..

[​IMG]

-Abone.

10. walls

walls

This may sound short sighted but, oh well. I think, if you can afford to buy the A in the first place, you should give it a shot. Even if it doesn't work out, you'll have a new Model A:). Only real problem I see is, if you don't work locally. Traveling on a highway w/out an OD is not going to cut it. These are 50-55mph cars.

Two suggestion if I may.
    -Get a coupe. It's lighter than a sedan, can move up hills easier and stop sooner.
    -Update the brakes. You need to stop sooner than the stock setup possibly can. I know there are mods to the mechanicals you can do (flathead Ted) or juice brakes.

What are winters like where you're at? You know bias plys and snow don't mix, and you don't want to get caught with radials on your Model A do you?;)

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. I've been daily driving my truck for almost a month now, other then getting to know the SLOW lane and avoiding the freeway, I have enjoyed it a lot. My only issues have been keeping the brakes adjusted, a broken fan hub and a leaking water pump (caused by the belt being to tight, which resulted in the broken fan hub).

[​IMG]

13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I have been using my stock-ish coupe as a daily since last October. I would definitely keep your truck around as a back-up. There just isn't much room to haul your junk around with an "A."

As far as the whole reliability, they are just like any other car. If they are maintained properly, they will hold up just fine. I have yet to be stranded on the side of the road with this car. Yes, they can be kind of quirky, but that's what makes it an adventure instead of a commute.

I don't have any safety concerns with the mechanical brakes. Yes, they suck and are a pain to maintain. They will go away as time and money allow. I live in a rural area and don't have alot of traffic to contend with. If you realize that the other cars on the road have better brakes than you, and drive accordingly, you should be fine. It seems that alot of people that complain about mechanicals have not taken the time to go through them and properly adjust and maintain them.

As for power and speed, mine does just fine. I do have a high speed ring and pinion, so it will comfortably do 55 mph. I just stay off of the freeways. I'm not sure how the roads are in Auburn, but around here, I can get anywhere that I need to go without ever getting on I-5.

Just my .02,
    Mitch
    [​IMG]

14. Normbc9

Normbc9

I drove a Model A convertible from '52 to '58. I took the deck lid off and put in a small custom made bed with a tailgate. My fuel tank was there. I did a few trick things. I put a Cragar OHV conversion on it, a Clay Smith mild cam and worked the oiling system over. Electric fuel pump and a conversion to sealed beams on the headlights. It did fine for me. I wish I could have another like it now!
    Normbc9

15. ratster

ratster

only car I have to drive right now.. do it man, you'll love it, i know i do.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. Since I gave corporate America the middle finger, I've been driving nothing but old stuff.

My next acquisition will be a Model A though, and it will definitely be driven to work.

My current daily is a 66 F100 shortbed....no Model A, mind you, but it's nearly 5 decades older than all the other stuff on the road during the commutes.

A Model A, driven reasonably, should do ok on gas as well.

The little 240 six, 3 on the tree, in my 66 is relatively fuel efficient, especially the way I drive on my commute. I go right through the middle of The Woodlands, TX every day and I get a kick out of the reactions I get from the many Bimmer/Benz/Lexus/Range Rover/etc drivers. They're either just pissed as all hell because I'm driving the speed limit and accelerating slowly from stoplights, or they're looking at me with pitty next to me at stoplights.

I LOVE driving slowly on my way home from work, enjoying the view over the hood of an old car, feeling the breeze in the cab and listening to the sounds that you don't hear when you're all sealed up in one of today's tomb-like cars.

It makes the drive to and from work seem like a mini-vacation. I stay off of I-45 completely so that helps, although the 66 can run those speeds. (the 3.90 gears are hollering at 70 mph though)

Oh...and yeah, like someone mentioned above....when you're driving old stuff to work, I think it's wise to have a back-up. By the time school starts up again (I'm a teacher) my 54 tudor will be on the road again and will serve that purpose.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I purchased a 31 coupe that was in pretty good condition. Put on four new tires, fresh gas, new ignition stuff - fired it up. Drove it back and forth from Mountlake Terrace, WA to Madison Park (Seattle area) for six months or so with nary a hitch. I did not take it on the freeway, just major arterials. Would have kept doing that except the president of the Seattle Model A club made me an offer I could not refuse. I highly recommend an A-bone as your daily. Decent mileage, simple to work on, and the "thumbs up" never stop.

dj

18. fms427

fms427

An employee of Hagarty Insurance in Traverse City, Mi. is just finishing a year with a Model A 2 door as his only transportation - snow and all ( and there is a LOT of snow in Traverse City........). Check out their magazine - probably available on-line - for the whole story. Bottom line - worked out well - go for it !!

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but classic car insurance doesn't allow daily driving. If you go with regular insurance, the sky's the limit. Good luck.

20. Go for it!! I drove Citroëns daily for years in this country, not too worried about parts, though you should have a back-up plan just in case (I've a Triumph Tiger).

Parts: get yourself a dealer that'll work with you. I had several, most in Europe, but shipping was 2 days if I had to have it. And you'll eventually learn what you have to have as spares.

Oh, yeah, as soon as I get back on my feet (damn economy), I'm getting another 2CV. For now, it's a '76 Sedan deVille.

Cosmo

21. Cking5148

Cking5148
    from La Mesa,CA

If it was me I'd probably want a cheap beater car sitting around. Murphy's law and all...

22. flathead fred

flathead fred

Why the hell not Marty. I know you would keep the beast running fine. It would be a hoot!

23. dvzdeathtrap

dvzdeathtrap
    from austin, tx

you haven't "lost it", you've FOUND IT. i think it's awesome that you are wanting to do this. too many out there have no concept of originality. my DD wont go over 55-60mph with the 235 and 3 speed. people haul ass around me w/ their coffee in one hand and their i-phone in the other. and i'm in the slow lane. i think it's funny and sad. you see these same morons broken down on the side of the road w/ the hood up on the car. what are they looking for? they have no clue where to start in the first place. good for you being 20 and wanting to drive an A for a DD. i wish more kids were like you! keep it up. don't lose it -DVZ

24. I hear ya buddy....as soon as things start moving again, I'm gettin a Model A.

25. well said brother

26. You could be Dynaflash Walton looking like you just drove
    a load of lumber off Waltons' Mountain in the good old days ;)

If he still has it - Kenneth has a stock & very sweet original
    running 1930 AA one ton single rear truck for sale in Peru, IN
    that I shot a short You Tube Video of last week ......

@ http://www.youtube.com/user/TrulyVintageOnDaRoad?feature=mhee

Jim

27. You never really said what kind of "A" you would be interested in, but if I hadn't bought my '31 pickup, this would have been top of my list.
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/2509451524.html

28. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

Jay lenno uses his as a daily.

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I agree 100%. Although I don't totally DD mine, I do drive it a lot more than one would just drive an extra car. Keep up with the brakes and they work well. Side note, buy a few spare ignition parts and keep them with you. USA made condensers are the key, Chinese ones will burn out almost instantly. I treat driving my Model A like being on a motorcycle. Always pay attention to the idiots on cell phones, plan your stops, stay off the freeways and best of all, enjoy the ride!! :D

30. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I sold my last late model pickup over a year ago and couldn't be happier.Keep the mechanical stuff in good shape and don't worry about it breaking down.My model a and 59 chevy are just as reliable as any new car.