Register now to get rid of these ads!

what paint on backing plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevelle bob, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Starting on the brakes on my 52. what type of paint do I use on the backing plates before the shoes go on? was not sure if there was something special I should use. I know tuse white grease whre the shoes rub the plate but want some corosion control. thanks

2. choptvan

choptvan

High temp caliper paint after the backing plate has been prepped properly. instructions on the can. I do it that way often. Lasts as far as I can tell.

3. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

powder coat them

4. Backing plate should not get that hot, but it might be a good place for POR-15 or that sort of thing if they're old and already have a coat of surface rust.

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I just clean them up and use the same paint that I use on the rest of the chassis. Like RNY said, your backing shouldn't be getting hot enough for the paint to bubble up, or flake off.

6. I probably shouldn't say this but I have had pretty good luck with Krylon. Granted I don't build show cars and don't need anything very high tech.

7. Ole don

Ole don

Any paint is better than no paint. The important thing is, keep brake fluid off them. If you drip, wipe it clean imediately.

8. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

x2 :)

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Only thing that sucks about normal paint on backing plates is that the brake fluid kills it after you bleed them or in the case of you having a leak. Ask me how I know....

Chrome on the other hand hold up great to all that. :D

10. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

this a long way from a show car. thanks for the tips, i appreciate it.

11. Fenders

Fenders

X3 on the outside.
    On the inside where the shoes go it's just the Rustoleum red primer.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep...

Oh yeah, a simple piece of hose will end your fluid worries when you bleed. I'm always surprised by how many DON'T do that.

13. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I used IMRON on all of my chassis parts, including my brake drums and it still looks like the day I sprayed it, which was 2 years ago and I drive the truck every day.

14. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I think we've all had good luck with Krylon at one time or another, I've had even better luck with Rustolem. :)