Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 94 Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phoenix5x, Jul 18, 2011.

1. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Hey all,

Trying to get my 3x2 setup working correctly...I have a few issues...the setup is a 3x2 on an offy intake on a standard reman 350 sbc... had it running on just the primary carb flawlessly unregulated form a stock sbc pump...It had a 50 size jet in it. The outer carbs were blocked off.

Before I go into the entire issue...I would like to put a shout out to the guys here in cincy that are real good with multi carb setup that if you dont mind offering your service for a couple hours i will provide pizza and beer..Just drop me line...

Now for the issue for any advice that could be offered..I have now unblocked the carbs, regulated the fuel down to a little less than 3 psi... and installed vintage speeds universal jets in all 3 carbs. now I set them up the way the instructions say to and the carbs leaked fuel like crazy form the pump shaft and the extended throttle shafts and the engine wouldnt run...I have since gone back to the single center carb with the universal and it idles ok not as good as it did before but the center carbs still seems to drip fuel and cause a miss no matter where i turn the universal jet..up or down..

Looking for some info from the multi carb guys out there...

Thanx All!

2. bob giles

bob giles

Had a similar problem with fuel leakage. Talked with Charlie Price from Vintage Speed and he solved my problem. With manifold level I set floats at 1 5/16" .

3. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Called vintage speed those guys were awesome helped me out a lot...Got the leaking fixed...Got all the carbs hooked up the engine runs but it sounds like it is constantly reving up and down...i cannot get a steady idle...this is setup in a progressive style so the outer carbs throttle screws are all closed...I only backed the universal jets out about a half turn to start with...Does this sound familiar to anyone...Let me know kind of where to start?

Thanx in advance!

4. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

5. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Still working on the fine tuning...but i got the truck on the road yesterday...the engine sputters s little when leaving from a stop sign or trying to coast in like 1st gear runs real well while shifting and cruizing in 4th gear...Runs kind of rich too...Not sure if the power valve is wrong(have no idea what size it is no #'s stamped on the case..Should be stock as it came out of the rebuild kit.), and probably still got some screws to fine tune for idle and fuel flow.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Am I seeing things or is the front carb opening some ( the arm is moving) before the linkage is contacting the stop to force it open? The secondary carbs need a spring to keep them closed until the linkage forces the spring to open them. If they can float you will never get a steady idle.

7. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

the center carb gets to about 1/3 then the others open...it doesnt move before that...if it does it is just a very very tiny bit...not enough to make a big difference i would think.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Well it sure looks like the arm is moving before it gets to the the stop that forces it open. If the arm is moving, then the butterflies are moving too and that is not supposed to happen.

9. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

hmm...ok i will look closer at it...C if i can readjust the arms...Now if the front butterflies open even a little would that cause the engine to stumble a bit as you hit the accelerator before running normal?

10. I would add a separate return spring for the secondaries before going further with any other adjustments.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There should be a spring to hold the front and rear butterflies shut ( just like when the carbs were blocked off) If the front one is moving then the rear one is moving too. They should not be able to move until the linkage over comes the spring pressure at your set point in the linkage. If they are moving then you have a vacuum leak.

12. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Ok...and that would be an easy enough test...to see if it fixes my problem i will just disconnect the connecting rod so they don't move if it doesn't stumble then that is my problem...Appreciate it guys!!!

13. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

I was also gonna hook up a vacuum gauge and check for pressure and leaks...

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You want spring pressure applied to the butterflies (front and rear) to insure a good seal.

15. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

when i get out of work...the spring issue will be the 1st thing i address.

16. Now you just have to fiqure out how to get the beer and pizza to tommy in Maryland while keeping the beer cold and the pizza warm.

17. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

LOL...somehow the 30 min rule shouldnt apply

18. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Well, the springs really helped...The truck made it to louisville and back wihout much issue. I did however happen to realize a lot of dirt in my fuel bowls so i decided to take the carbs off and go through them all...

I happened to notice that the discharge nozzle is loose under the nozzle bar clamp...I believe i used the right gasket but it seems that the discharge nozzle is too short...or the gasket is not thick enough. anyone see this before?

Thanx!

19. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Well after sleeping on this i figured it out...I had a different style discharge nozzle which seemed to fit better..its the long style and it works.

20. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Just did this setup for a buddys 283. Both end carbs need the power valves blocked off. Then back out the idle speed screws so the butterflies are totally closed on end carbs.Think we had a 4.5 valve in center carb. Car wouldnt idle right and didnt respond to adjustments with end power valves in. Also, make sure the throttle shaft bushing arent giving you a vacuum leak.