Register now to get rid of these ads!

S-10 frame swap ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R.Miller1949, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Miller1949

R.Miller1949

I really like the detailed directions of how to swap a '49 Chevy PU to a S-10 frame. I would like a standard ride, so would I just take that into account as I placed the cab on the frame. Any tricks to that, like reference points to look at.
    Thanks for the help,
    '49 Rookie Guy:confused:

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

make sure your wheels are lined up inside the fender wells, If you mount the cab and the wheels arent centered or with in reason centered under the front fenders your gonna have to start all over. You probably will have to cut off the S10 purches, along with compensating for the frame rail raise in the back. Its not hard, just more fabbing.

I put a 40 chevy on an s10 frame with a 283 and a glide. Nice platform, and the s10 has alot of after market stuff available for it. Small block mounts lowering kits ect... nbuy alot of sawzall blades

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm going out on a limb here as I have never done this swap, but the first thing to do would be to remove the body from the S-10.

4. Joel Sparks

Joel Sparks

i have just recently got a 54 chevy truck and i also thinking about doing the same swap..... is it a S10 short bed or long bed frame that is used for the swap?

5. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

S10 frame swap.....How traditional.....lol

6. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

long bed frame .standard cab

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harder to do, and more fab than a MII setup. Those can even be had bolt-in.

8. I predict the next big fad will be transplanting S-10 sheetmetal onto vintage running gear

9. Whatever happened to just leaving an old car an old goddamn car?

10. badshifter

badshifter

What ever happened to fucking intros and busting balls of the FNG's busting in with OT garbage?

Read the rules FNGs then knock yourselves silly with your S-10 chat.

11. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

It may not be traditional, but finding parts is as easy as it gets, and the aftermarket parts are in incredible supply. :), that's what I'm using for my '38 chevy half ton

12. That takes all the fun out of it. I love the challenge of finding rare vintage parts and making them work again.

13. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

lmfao!

14. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

You gotta post an introduction on who you are etx prior to posting. Theres info here on the chevy a&d frame swap with s10. You need an extended cab or long bed - or your wheels wont line up in the fender wells. Or...you can shorten the bed but that doesnt look right imho
    Get ur intro posted and we ll pass around some decaf to these guys ....i

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a 1993 GMC Sonoma mounted on an S-10 frame.

16. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

That must have been a bitch of a swap. ;)

I have my 55 First Series panel truck on an S10 frame. The swap sucked to do, but damn I love being able to find cheap parts. I did new calipers, shoes, and rotors for $90, can't really beat that.

17. BCR

BCR

You should think about an ad frame swap ... They sell bolt in m II for them now!

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

to tell you the truth it is a great little truck. I can see why people want to uese these frames or clip a car with the front half.

don't tell anyone I said that.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 37 mounted on a original frame with latemodel brakes and I can get parts for it cheap and I did not have to fuck up the body just to get cheap brake parts.

20. Chuckhole

Chuckhole
    BANNED
    from Montana

Why do some folks on here pick apart everybody's ideas and cars? Isnt the definition of someones hot rod what THEY want, not whether or not its traditional or old enough. And while Im not exactly a huge fan of the term ratrod, but its worse than taking the lords name in vain while in church if mentioned on this site. Does anybody have a logical explanation for this? And whats wrong with the term prostreet? It seems perfectly harmless.

And why does everybody need labels? FNG, grenade inspector, and so on. Is this to imply that others opinions are better or somehow more relevant? It would seem to have your name carry any clout around here, one would be spending more time on the computer than in the garage,where the real knowledge and experience come from. I dont get it. Is this website based out of China or something? Whats with the big brother routine?

If people took half the time they spent on here talking down everyones ideas and got in the shop, the world would be over run by hot rods.

21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haha, careful man, I made roughly the same post trying to back someone up recently. It didn't go well for me, but I at least learned from it. It's a traditional hot rod forum, there are rules, and they don't have to play nice if they don't want to. It's a great forum, but it's good sit back and listen for a while. You can see I've been on here for a few years (only two actually signed up), but I don't run my mouth a lot. It's best that way for all of us. :rolleyes:

22. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Chuckhole, A really stupid post in defense of a really dumb thread.

With any luck this thread will get deleted and not just closed.

23. Chuckhole

Chuckhole
    BANNED
    from Montana

I am not coming to anyones defenses, nor am I "running my mouth". Simply questioning the real core of the site? Is it hot rodding or busting balls? Does my original post not ring true?

24. Chuckhole

Chuckhole
    BANNED
    from Montana

And I still haven't heard the logical explanation for the banning of the terms rat rod and prostreet. Is it because a logical reason does not exist?

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.