Register now to get rid of these ads!

850 miles in a bucket.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackerbilt, Jul 13, 2011.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Nice job Bill, Makes me want to do it again in the bucket........not!! I better not say that. depends on what we have to drive next year!!

2. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

WHAT is the wheel base on your t bucket ? dick

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. koolkemp

koolkemp

You guys make it look so easy :D Not many today would do that drive in a T , thanks for showing them how its done ! I can vouch for Denise being a swwetheart,having had the pleasure of meeting herin Detroit a few years back at the HAMB gathering. Next year we will have a proper HAMB gathering, pics and all. Norwell and Mckee said they will be back next year for sure. The camera that Nadine took the pic of us with before you pulled away, ended up being forgotten on my company car and hit the road at about 30mph...needless to say I have to pull out the memory card to get the pics off it , oh well I wanted a new camera anyways :D I will add the pic when I get it . Are the plans still to try and get the "project" in August??;)

4. Great story. Great pics. Thanks for sharing your trip.

5. fitzee

fitzee

That is the plan. All that will stop it is the coin and get time off. seems it will be another Thursday-Monday crossing. Looking into the boat on the other side of the island. That one is only 6 hours but it is a 12 hour drive to get there. That boat is half the cost. The boat we took this time is $800 return!!

6. gsport

gsport

great story.... nuttin' like a good road trip

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well make the plans ! A little birdie told me you will get a further discount on the discussed price;) He figures if you are willing to make the trip for it you deserve a deal lol!

8. Good meeting you guys! I'll look you up on the Rock sometime.

9. fitzee

fitzee

You do that. I bring you on a garage crawl of some of the local hot rodders.

10. fitzee

fitzee

Oh my!!!That is good to know.I remember seeing pics of his show last year. I like what I saw.would mind getting in on the Saturday chop. Keep a eye open for a cool fire wall for me.

11. Looks like you had an awesome time.
    I made a trip in my 27 t pickup a fews years ago
    1700 miles round trip from new york to the upper penns in michagan and back. Via niagra falls and canada what an awesome time that was.
    I needed a vacation from my vacation .
    Cool pictures too.

12. Labold

Labold

You're a-o-k in my book. Looks like a fun trip.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

They'd be fresh outta the oven just for ya.;)

Thanks bud, it was wonderful meeting you as well. Looking forward to our paths crosssing again soon.

14. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Cool story and pics!
    My wife and I did a couple of 1000+ mile trips in my old T-bucket in the 90's. We had a blast!!

15. You must have large testicles. Although there isn't much room for them in a T.

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Almost missed this thread!
    Nice pics except for the short balding dude sitting in the T with a goofy grin on his face. You let just about anyone sit in that thing.

Great meeting you guys. Thanks for stopping. I know you were rushed.

As for all this T - talk... you folks aren't givin me the warm and fuzzies about traveling far in mine (should it ever get finished)!!!
    But I rarely listen to others, or so I'm told. ;)
    btw.. I put the last panel in for electrolysis dip today. Assembly, here I come.

Koolkemp.. when is Chad having his show this year?

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You weren't goofy...just daydreaming to your time behind the wheel of YOUR T. ;)

Don't worry about people saying they aren't comfortable...they're comfortable enough...
    We fit into fitzees good.
    The key in our case being the 10" stretch to a 27 style cowl fitzee made up.

You're a little shorter than fitz so if you plan the interior and the pedal placement well (and don't go too thick on the seat back) you'll fit just fine with no cowl extension.
    He also set up the column with 2 u-joints to get the wheel and shaft up away from the pedals and the Corvair box is ahead of the firewall. More room saved!
    Works great!

The biggest comfort key was the 120 mile window between refills with the small tank/big engine.
    Just getting back out for 5 - 10 minutes every hour and a half made a huge difference in how you felt. (and it was always fun to spread the gospel to all the people who were checking the T out! :D)
    I never got to the point where my back gave me problems and I'd go again tomorrow...then again I'm a nut for minimalistic transport! :D
    Fitz had a few issues with his hip acting up but that was just because he was holding his leg in a constant position to operate the gas pedal.

I'd love to build myself a bucket or Modified but I've just got too much on my plate as it is...

18. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

This thread rocks. Cars are meant to be driven and there aint notin better than a road trip, congrats and thanks for the pics, very cool scenery.

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

A "little" shorter than fitz... funny guy. ;)

I have a 27 cowl and the back section of an older Phaeton, which is longer than the two-door back. There seems to be plenty of room for even you "tall folk". I'll put the seats on sliders so I can reach the pedals.

Mine has a little longer wheelbase than a Toyota Tercel I had for a couple of years, so the ride should be able to be made "reasonable". I hope.

Good info on the u-joints. Thanks.

It was quite the cool sight to see you two riding off towards the causeway. Even if it was Lexus-like as Mazooma said. Just funnin. ;)
    It sure looked minimalistic enough for me!
    After you left there were still two guys asking me about the car and your trip.

Boyd Who... 1000+ sounds neat. Have any pics in another thread?
    I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I have.

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Your gonna have lots of room to play with Joe. I didn't remember you actually had a 27 cowl! That combo will be great!!!

I think there were a lot of people scratching their heads about us along the road...hahaha

21. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

It wasn't really a HAMB-friendly bucket so I don't have many pics of it on here.
    We drove it from Calgary to the NSRA NW Nats in Spokane WA three different times, and we took it on a 2-week vacation that included the Yellowstone Rod Run's 25th anniversary event in 1995. We also did a few other 500+ mile trips in it, it was alot of fun.
    It was a standard size 'glass '23 bucket, but it was well designed by the builder. I'm 5'9 with long legs and I fit in it quite comfortably, without the "knees by your ears" problem that some have.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Keep

Keep

Looks like a blast!

I am hoping to do the same in the near future, I am about a week or so away from firing mine up for the 1st time.

Thanks for the pics and motivation.

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Super trip! My friend Burl and I drove our buckets from Huntsville TX to St. Paul MN back in 1990 for the 20th NSRA Nationals. His a 23 turtle deck track nose/hood car, mine a late 60s built 23 RPU, both topless, mine hoodless. What fun!
    That was the trip where I learned that work we did on making our suspensions work and using real coil-spring seat cushions paid off in 9 days and about 3000 miles of riding without aches or pains!

24. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Not the folks I saw and talked to!
    They all said good stuff and had big smiles on.
    The ones who know me said things like, "You're building one something like that? Cool!".

There! More "good" stories about their experiences.
    Thanks guys.

And thanks for the pics of the 23. It may not be HAMB friendly but it looks pretty friendly to me. :)

25. Finally got to read your thread Bill. Roy (39 Ford) told me about it. I was dissapointed I didn't get to see you guys leaving or arrriving as I was in Sin Johns both days, and I am sure it would have been a pleasure to meet you. I was hoping to get to the Atlantic Nats this year but it didn't work out. Work always seems to get in the way of having fun. Thanks for posting.

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Oh man...you gotta make the plan to go and stick to it!
    You'll never regret it...and neither would you Roy! hint,hint...

It's possible that we might actually catch the Ferry at P aux B next year to cut down on the boring ferry ride. We're thinking its better to drive than float! ;)
    If we do we could tuck you right into the convoy as we pass!!!!

27. Sounds like a plan Bill. I would love to convoy across the island with like minded guys. I can see it now, 63 Plymouth, 52 Flatliner, 39 Ford, 56 Ford and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to get more. We will have to start working on a plan. For me it would be a trip of a lifetime. Let's do it!

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

29. storm king

storm king

You sir, are my hero of the day! (God, that has to be the first time I've said that about a Canadian!);)

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011