Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You suck.

End of message.

Oh and ps. I miss you two

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the main reasons I've followed this build is the fact that there has never been one part of the build with a "That's good enough, nobody will ever see it" view by Scott. I just wish I could build my Roadster as fast as he has built this Coupe.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Thanks for the words Bob! I appreciate it!

I look at it this way... There's not many chances in life to build a car as a HOBBY and do it in a fashion where you want to learn how to do things right and still get the car done in a timely manner. Unfortunately I don't think I'm moving as very fast at the build, but I have essentially received a 4-year education in building hot rods during this process as well as met some incredible people getting that education. I can only hope that all I've learned and all the help I have received during this "educational process" can be repaid in some way shape or form. Including yourself, Bob. After-all, if it weren't for you sending me those hood panels I might still be fussing with forming that part of the car. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's words!

We miss you also! Bring Clint out here again! Please.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I should talk about what I've been up to, since someone just jabbed me! HAHA!

I've been working hard on a bunch of little and big annoying things...

Mostly the work has been around the cowl and firewall area. I had to completely reconstruct the upper part of the firewall. The original firewall I made just wasn't working on the top end. Had to refit the cowl top as well. It has to fit right or it will leak. This also included making a mounting rail for the front of the cowl so the cowl band isn't doing all the work to hold the cowl top down. THEN I spent the entire past weekend mounting the windshield correctly. about 10 hours to get it all working right and the lines all flowing correctly.

THEN! On top of all that, I did a little more relaxing, less labor-intensive project, and made some mounting points for the seat harnesses. Just one more thing to cross off the list.

I don't have pictures uploaded yet. I wil post some pics after I get a few of these things wrapped up. Just got home from making some mounting brackets for the seats. Almost ready to make them a perminant fixture in the car.

All this little stuff that nobody thinks about but is critical to make it all come together. One stupid little task after another. Eventually I'll run out of them...

Thanks guys! Pictures soon! I promise!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to wait to post these until I had pictures of the other stuff, but I'm trying to sort this all out in my mind, today. So what the hell...

Here's what I did over the past couple weeks, while working on the cowl.

When pulling everything apart, I unfortunately found that the filler piece that sits between the windshield and the cowl top had some SERIOUS rot!! It will have to get repaired. Replacement pieces are not available. I'll cut the rot out, make a new lower strip, line up some weld nuts with the cowl, and weld it all back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the filler strip aside for now, I focused on getting the cowl top's fitment and the top section of the firewall.

Gap is not quite right at the rear corner of the cowl top if you compare it to the opposite side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little hammer and dolly work and it's looking better. Was amazingly stubborn, though.

[​IMG]

With the filler strip removed this was a good chance to get the back side of the cowl support, that mounts the dash rail, all cleaned up and painted so I can put it all back together and not have to worry about any rust getting in behind there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on to making the front cowl mounting rail. I bent up a U-channel on the brake and then moved to the shrinker and stretcher to get a matching shape to the cowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then fabbed up the upper firewall panel to match the shape of the mounting support.

[​IMG]

Mocked it up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then match drilled the cowl top to the mounting rail, added the weld-nuts, and spot welded it all in place.

[​IMG]

Then on to fitting it up...

[​IMG]

The next big project, the following weekend, was redoing the windshield mount. It required that I UN-DO some things in the header structure and even cut away some sheet metal in the visor panel. Was tedious to say the least! Unfortunately I have no pictures of that process. The day started out with the whole project working against me, so the last thing I felt like doing was taking pictures of things. It didn't help either that when I first started working I discovered that at some point I lost track of what way I was shooting sparks and didn't realize I was shooting hot metal right at my brand new tachometer I just installed. And of COURSE the lens is now ruined and will have to be replaced. :mad::( F*#*!

I will get some pictures of the end progress tonight or this weekend, though. I will also get pictures of the seat harnesses all mounted up as well. I want to finish the seat mounts first, though.

That's all I got. Probably doesn't look like much. Certainly was a good project to get ALMOST marked off, though. :cool:

6. Nice work buddy! Sucky about the tach, though :(.
    Keep a rockin' rocker!

7. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looks great Scoot. Sorry to hear about the tach. That sucks. But I can sympathize.I think we all have ruined things with sparks from a grinder or welder. The bed cover on ym RPU has splatter holes all in it because I had not paid any attention to how well things were covered up.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This makes me want to cry a little.... :(:(:(

(sorry, cell phone pic)

[​IMG]

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just tell people you used clear metal flake on your gauges and tell them Barris did it back in '58.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll start a new trend! Gauges with metal embedded in the lens that rust. The perfect rat rod gauge! :eek:

Seriously though. Pretty sick to my stomach still. Looks even worse with the picture that big.

Just got off the phone with CI. I have a repair order number and will box it up.

I will say this, though. I thought the lens was glass and clearly it's not. A little disappointed. My old SW gauges have glass lenses and held up okay to the abuse. Might have to do a little polishing, though.

11. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Don't cry Scoot that will buff right out. Use a little sanpaper and some polish ti will be good as new. :p

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I must have missed or forgot about the cowl hoops, steering box mount, I'm planning on the same setup on my Roadster. The addition of a 1932 Cowl vent should allow access to my master cylinder. Run some of that old friction tape on the cowl and windsheild pieces to cut down on squeeks, Ford did when he built the car. [​IMG]

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, time for an update...

Been trying to jump around a little and keep the projects mixed up a bit so I don't get burned out. The unfortunate thing is, I've found that making any kind of deadline in the October time-period is pretty much out of the question at this point. We had to make an emergency trip to Ohio last week and since then I've just been trying to get caught up on everything, including car stuff. I'll keep pressing on as usual, though. Really needs to be done before the holidays or things are going to get even MORE difficult for me...

On with the update...

First thing is first. Rest of the paint supplies are in house, now! WOOHOO!

[​IMG]

I decided to go with a different type of primer system, this time. Running 2K high-build for a base primer and then I'm going to seal it with a black epoxy primer. I figure the darker sealer will make a nice base for the Washington Blue to sit on. I also picked up the interior color which will be a "machine gray". Crossing my fingers that it won't be too dark. It will also be flattened out a little. I would rather have a semi-gloss inside. ALSO! I picked up some Duplicolor Truck Bed liner for the under side of the body. So NOW, I just need to finish the body work and get on it!!

Last week, my tachometer came back to me as well! Classic Instruments fixed me right up and got it right back to me. Only cost me about $30. Was worth it! Looks brand new!

Pictures of work is what you want to see though. So let me press on.

Having been spending my time trying to get parts ready for paint since I have the supplies in front of me now. Finished off the fuel tank and also patched up the dash rail where it has seen some heavy corrosion on the back side. Not the best repair job, but I TIG welded it so I could get it flat again. New I would have to do some hammering on those welds. Was the first sheet metal I ever TIG welded, so it wasn't an A+ job, but it's flat as can be and a little skim coat will take care of the low spots around the weld I couldn't get flat.

[​IMG]

Then I changed pace since I was really in the mood to make something. The fan shroud is STILL on the list to be fabricated so I thought I better at least start it since it would effect how the grille shell is going to mount.

I started with some 24" srtips of 22 gage and turned an edge up.

[​IMG]

Some stretching

[​IMG]

I used a 16" trim ring as a guide. It was the perfect diameter for the fan I'm using plus a little clearance all the way around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then made joggle bends to join everything up, drilled and clecoed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riveted the seams together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I rolled a bead for strength and aesthetics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then turned the lip over for a nice rounded edge. Was going to wire edge it, but didn't have the wire on hand, the steel supplier was closed, and my ACE around the corner was out of stock. Just wasn't meant to be. HAHA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finished closing it up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I needed to flare the side that was going towards the radiator so it would flow nicely between the box that will sit on the radiator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some planishing and vua la

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have to finish the rest of the shroud box that mounts to the radiator which will ALSO server as mounting provisions for the grille shell, but I'll have to wait until after final tare-down for paint to finish that part because I'm not ready to remove the radiator just yet.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yesterday, I spent some time just working one odds and ends inside.

Here's how the harnesses ended up being mounted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I smoothed finished and smoothed some welds on the interior support structure as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dyce

Dyce

Looking good!! Nice work!!

16. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

impressive stuff scooter...

I dont know how you find the discipline to photograph everything as you go, but it sure is appriciated

17. Nice work Scott! Good to see you are progressing along. Wish I could say the same:(

18. N8B

N8B

I heart you Scott.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Really nice work Scott --- great to see the progress!

Malcolm

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey THANKS everyone! I appreciate the words! Wish I had more to share. Crazy here, but I'm chugging right along!

I'm almost ready to start painting some of the parts that are ready to go. I'm tired of chasing surface rust from the damp air. Getting them sealed and protected would be nice!

Major fabrication work left:

* Finish firewall
    * Finish cowl top and mounting
    * Finish door bottoms and A-pillars
    * Door gaps
    * Finish rear lower panels
    * Fabricate rear window mounts
    * Chop and finish rest of the garnish moldings
    * Mount seats
    * Roof insert clamps
    * Finish floors
    * Finish windshield
    * Door sill panels

That's about it! Then I can paint the body. It's a lot of work, but I think it will go quick with some focused time. Lot's of scratch-built stuff, is the problem.

In the mean time, I can do a little prep work and paint parts. A change in color would be nice. It would be motivating to cross some parts off the "to do" list, as well.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome to see how that shroud went together. I only seen the finish product so it's nice to see your process dude.

You've got this man, keep chipping away!!!

22. MEYER8821

MEYER8821

very impressive!

23. scootermcrad -

The fan shroud looks real nice ... but I'm a bit surprised that you even need one ... How hot can that HEMI get driving your "show car" on & off the trailer? :rolleyes: :D

24. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

That thing rules.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys!

BOOOO!! Show cars suck!! HAHA! I don't know why I'm even going to bother painting it. I'll probably never wash it or wax it anyway. :eek::rolleyes:

Actually, it probably doesn't really need one, but since I'm a little clumsy and I'm going to have my hands around that damn engine quite a bit trying to get it running right I thought I should protect myself. HAHA! :eek:

26. How hot can that HEMI get driving your "show car" on & off the trailer?

I'm not ashamed to admit it but that comment actually made me snort out loud. LOL.

27. Big Nick

Big Nick

28. me too
    lol
    tk

29. I'm here all week ... be sure to tip your waitresses! :D

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everything looks great! Is there a full hood in the plans?