Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1948 Pontiac Build (A little bit custom and a whole lot faster)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speters, Jul 20, 2011.

1. speters

speters

I finally bought my first classic! I have been a car guy since I was born and only recently saw the light and fell in love with hot rods and customs. My father and I picked up the addiction at the same time and we found him a 1954 Chevy 3100. Here is his build http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608751

Every since we started building his truck I have been looking for a project of my own. I was looking for a late 40s early 50s 2 door car to make into a mild custom with better motor. Back in April I found this car in a collection of old iron rotting away in northern Connecticut. Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought this 1948 Pontiac 2 door fastback for $2,500. After a little bit of struggle because of the locked up rear wheels, we were able to move it back to my home shop. Now less talk more pictures.

Back in April when I first saw the car it looked like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. el shad

el shad

I can dig this one! Whats the "go fast" plan now?

3. speters

speters

Here is how it looked just before I picked it up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

SWEET! it looks like it survived better than the scout behind it.whats your plans?i love Pontiacs, good deal.

5. speters

speters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only floor rust is driver front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. speters

speters

Moving day! It just fit on the uhual trailer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. speters

speters

Back at home outside my period correct garage :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got the hood open with the help of some PB Blast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last I could help but start tearing it apart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what came off
    [​IMG]

I decided to leave it outside while I took out the first layer of grime. I didn't want any critters that are living in it now to make a new home in my shop. One mouse ran out of the car when we loaded it on the trailer and I found a snake skin in the front passenger area.

8. speters

speters

Here is what I have planned for the FAST part of this build

425 Buick Nailhead!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Offenhauser dual quad intake manifold and valve covers!

I haven't decided on a trans or a rear end so any advice there would be appreciated. My father's 401 Nailhead is backed by a late model GM Bog Warner 5 speed and a Ford 9" with 3.70 gears. I am interested to see how that setup drives.

Smiffy likes this.
  9. speters

speters

As for the plans for the rest of the car

Slammed! Most likely on bags. If anyone know of a build I can look at for advice on a suspension setup please point me in the right direction. I assume I need to notch the frame in the rear. I love Glen's old buick and want a similar stance
    [​IMG]

I might keep the current hubs because they look sooo good and I definitely need to keep the wide whites!

I want to stick with a dark color maybe a deep deep blue.

Interior will be simple and classic.

I will be losing most of the trim in favor of a smoothed out look.

I want to keep this build very traditional looking with a few modern amenities (this is getting A/C for sure)

10. speters

speters

By the way this is a

1948 Pontiac Streamliner Sedan Coupe Deluxe

just in case someone was wondering

11. Orn

Orn

Nice find!

12. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

I love it! Keep us posted on your progress!

13. csimonds

csimonds

DAMN!!!! I can't believe you found something that nice here in Northeastern , CT Good on you Brotha! I followed your garage build on the Garage Journal page. Let me know if you need a hand, I'm just down in Norwich and a few of us go up Manchester way often!
    Chuck

14. speters

speters

Thanks! I am a big fan of the Garage Journal and I am glad you found it. I need to find more local guys like yourself to help me with this one. If you ever need some help let me know I am always up for a trip and some wrenching. Let me know next time you are in Manchester and you can come check up the garage and the pontiac in person.

15. roddinron

roddinron

Think real hard about that trim decision, that car has some nice stuff on it.
    I love those old fastbacks, nice score!
    Does that strt 8 turn? If it does, I'd consider keeping it too, I mean honestly, what would look cooler in there?

16. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

Man, Im a big fan of nail head motors but Id like to see you put a pontiac plant in there. That straight 8 would be sweet. No one would see it coming, but if you have to put a v motor in there look for a 389 or 400 or something. Save the nail for a buick.

17. speters

speters

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the silver streak 8 a dog with just over 100 hp and all that weight? A pontiac mill would be nice but I love the look of a nailhead and I have that one already sitting there. At least it is still a GM motor.

18. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Here's a second vote for not smoothing it too much. The "Glen's old Buick" picture could be a Chevy, Olds, Buick or Pontiac since most of the chrome is missing. To my mind, the things that help make your car cool are the Indian hood ornament, the wide chrome strips on hood and trunk lid, and the chrome strips back from the headlights. If you lose all those you have a generic '48 GM something-or-other, not a proud Streamliner Sedan Coupe Deluxe (with high-end Silver Streak trim package!).

19. Those fat tudors from that era are cool.

You definitely need to keep the Pontiac stainless strip on the hood and trunk.

I'm glad the era of monochrome is over....you take too much trim off of these old cars and they start to look like new cars. At that point, you might as well just go get a Ford Taurus or something.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score...congrats!

I like the idea of a stick-shift trans behind the nailhead of course, but for an automatic, the '65/'66 "Switch-Pitch" TH400 was pretty cool. I think they only fit the '65/'66 engines though. Hook the electric switch to the throttle, or a switch on the dash/steering wheel, or even a vacuum switch. Mash the gas, and the torque-converter goes into high-stall mode...then back to low stall for cruising.

Really nice lookin' Nailhead engine.

21. speters

speters

I was not planning on eliminating all the trim

I do want to loose the hood and trunk trim but keep the pontiac chief hood ornament and fit it directly to the hood.

The front fender trim coming back from the headlight will stay

The long trim going from the trunk to the hood will stay as well.

I plan on loosing the rocker trim, the window surround trim and trim that goes from the front fender onto the door.

22. sawzall

sawzall

I love those cars.. with all the trim!!!!

send a PM to shitbox2 with anything you want to sell.. I know he was looking for a better bumper.. maybe he would want your rocker trim..

[​IMG]

23. Another Poncho saved. Way to go. Love those fat fendered gals.

24. roddinron

roddinron

Plenty of flat head V8's here that don't do much better, but it is your car and you gotta do what you want. But if you really wanted to build a race car or something, I'd start with something a little smaller and lighter.
    My reasoning on the strt 8 is that not many cars can even use them. Your car has the room for it. Those things look so freakin cool when properly dressed, they're so damned unique, but largely ignored because they just don't fit in anything. Put an overdrive behind it, and it'll move you along just fine, but no, it won't be a race car.
    A V8 would be faster, but not even a nailhead (which seems to be the engine du jour these days) would look cooler under that hood.
    Guess I'm just thinkin' sled when I look at that car, but if you're thinkin hot rod, then you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Don't throw anything away though, there's plenty of guys who did, and are now searching to get it back.:(
    Nice car, have fun.

25. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I love these Pontiacs. such nice lines. Im intrigued to see where you take this one. Looks like you are starting off with a very complete car also

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Nice save and score.
    I'm in the straight 8 camp also. I've had a few and they are sweet and smoothe.
    49 Buick, 51 Packard, 53 Packard.
    (Notice the "e" for smoother than just smooth.)
    Faster will be a faster whale. That has low-n-slow written all over it.

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice, and I'm glad to see another '48 Pontiac resurrected. We've had a ball with our '48 convert for 37 years now.

28. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Here's another vote to reconsider keeping the hood and trunk strips. Those just MAKE it a Pontiac. "whether its coming or going".. Looks like youre starting out with a real solid car, id kill to have it as is.. id just lower the back a bit and clean off the "cluttery" trim that doesnt accent the body lines. (and paint it of course)
    As for the motor, straight 8's are cool, but i dont blame you for putting in a V8, i have the straight 8 in mine and its like lugging around an anchor. Id love to do a swap someday, but i know im going to end up driving that flathead 8 into the ground before i do, either that or selling the car.

29. CLM

CLM

I have a 401 nailhead sitting here for my '37 Chevy, but I keep staring at it thinking the Chevy may just get the 235 from plan a so I can drop my nailhead in my '47 Pontiac. If you decide to ditch any of the trim, I might be interested.
    [​IMG]

30. speters

speters

I might consider keeping the hood trim since it would be a pain to fill in, but since the rear trim is just a few holes it has less of a chance of staying on the car. My plans for tonight were canceled so maybe I will work on the Pontiac for a bit. The rear wheels are locked in place and I need to free them up so I can push the car around a little better.