Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 f100 short bed custom cab w/big window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, May 23, 2011.

1. I will try to find it.

2. Cool thread....I can relate.....I have a 66 F100 (stocker) and a 54 Mainline tudor with a 302/AOD.

As for the rustoleum, I've been using it on hotrods since the 80s on floors, frames, you name it and it's always held up great. The actual "rustoleum" brand is good and ACE hardware also has its own house brand of rust fighting black paint that is excellent.

3. Rusty, you sound kind of like me haha. Well I think im sold on rustoleum now.

4. Jeff, eversince I saw that thread I need them haha. I want the truck mostly stock besides the gauges that were from the same yere just bigger f series, the suspension and paint. I just want a good running daily driver/parts getter.

5. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I like an epoxy primer on my frames, topcoat if you're concerned about looks. It etches/adheres to the metal and sticks for good.

6. Leevon, do you have any pics you can post so I can see? Also what brand did you use?

7. Anyone know by chance?

8. Anyone have a a clue as to where I can get this gauge cluster at? Also I have found a y block out of a 56 f100 I beleive and it has the rams horns on it. The owner says It runs good with no smoke. I am getting it for sure since I want the rams horns but now im thinking just to throw the whole thing in since It also comes with a good ford o matic.

9. jrod60

jrod60
    from Katy, TX

Weren't those gauges in the heavy trucks and cab-overs?

Seems like you could replicate them with some clever graphics and the restored gauges tech thread technique using modern internals....

10. Jrod60, thanks alot for that rlthread. If I cant find the original gauges then I will go that route.

11. johnboy13

johnboy13

56, check out the early 60's Ford Econoline gauges, they're a direct bolt in using your original bezel. I picked up a set at a local swap for $40. Here's a pic of a similar set to mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  12. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I hate it when I find a cool thread that's been hiding from me! Subscribed!

13. Johnnyboy13, he thanks! I need to find me a set asap!

14. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

i love 57-60s and especially a big window!

15. Cookiemonster131, I second that!! Haha

16. Damn...I searched ebay and typed almost anyrhing I could think of and nothing on these gauges.

17. Yesterday I did alittle more blasting, I blasted the hood hinges and Im going to do the tail light housings today aswell. Anyone have any extra hood springs or know where I can get them?

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 56, it looks like you are making some progress. Looks good. My 60' was missing the hood springs as well when I got it.

Let me know if you find more springs that you need!:rolleyes:

19. Fauj, Its getting there....slowly but surely. Just taking more time then I wanted it too. I cant find these damn hood springs anywhere. Nobody sells them and I cant find any used without the hinges.

20. bigdsr56

bigdsr56

If you're wanting an updated front suspension, at a cheap cost,and easy to install,try doing what I did under a '60 . Went to salvage yard and got the whole front end out of a Ford Aerostar van. Un-do the steering column,brake lines,etc. There's maybe 4 bolts on each side that go thru the frame,that once taken out, the whole front just rolls out. Make sure and get power brake booster(very minor work,it'll bolt onto firewall),porportioning valve,hard lines to front wheels,under dash bracket and any hardware. Was a easy swap,plus Aerostar has a big sway bar.I did all this for about $150. That'll give you Ford car wheel pattern which will be alright if you swap rear end to something different. Ford Explorer 8.8 rear works great on a bunch of the old rides. Bought mine for $100 that's under my '50 F-1 I'm building & I'm putting one under the rear of my '49 Chevy coupe that I'm making into a gasser style ride. You're truck's gonna look good,tho!

21. I hear ya... that's why I wanted to see if you find some 'extras'.

I would love to see a tech article or build involving the Aerostar front end... please pm me the link if you can find it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

22. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

How does the track width on the Aerostar match up with the '60 F100?

23. Bigdsr56, can you post any pics of the conversion? I need as much info and pics as possible. I would really like to keep this thing mostly stock

24. Fauj, i will keep my eyes opem for springs for you too

25. Bigdsr56, can you post any pics of the conversion? I need as much info and pics as possible. I would really like to keep this thing mostly stock

26. I still cant find anyone that sells the hood springs for 57-60, does anyone know where I cant find a pair of springs?

27. johnboy13

johnboy13

I'm sorry, I didn't read the latest post through all the way. Do you have the old springs or no? If yes, take them to the junk yard and match up a pair, if no, I'll measure mine for you if you want.