Register now to get rid of these ads!

tribute build to my deceased son, his 1948 dodge truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skull, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Sorry for your loss. The truck looks good. Your sun would be proud.

2. rods that look like this are infinitely more interesting than the 1-800 rods....great work.....keep it up

3. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

I like the look and the stance, great job, ....sorry for your loss.

Respectfully

4. God Bless you, I'm sure your son is looking down at that truck with a big smile on his face :)

5. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

that is a damn nice truck. and a hell of a tribute. i am sure he is up there talking to somebody going "hey! check out what my dad built!" I know i sure as heck would be. Congrats on a job well done!!!!

6. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to hear this project has been keeping you busy. How about a photo of your son on the dashboard so he can be there in more than spirit for the ride?

Prayers to you and your family from Indiana.

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

my condolences man , i think i got some rust in my eye ,

8. You have some great friends, man...they got it right and the fact you've posted what you've done after your son's passing tells me you're coping ok...best therapy ever!
    BTW, I subframed my 53 ford pickup with a camaro sub with the Z-28 variable ratio power steering box and 1.25" stabilizer bar...drove like a slot car!

Attached Files:

9. I have 3 children and the worst thing that can happen is to out live them. Your son is with in spirit and you made him smile. I commend you for your resolve. God bless.

10. your truck sits just right and really looks killer. you did the right thing by finishing enough to get it going down the road, kinda like a small dose of closure.

11. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I have looked through some great builds here on the HAMB.
    None that I have enjoyed more than yours.
    My wife lost her brother when he was 16. He was staying with us when he drowned. We know what it is to loose someone in the time of their life when they are just beginning on their path to finding out what life is..
    I admire you for continuing with the truck. I think it will be a great way to keep his memory alive.

12. skull

skull

thanks to everyone for the good thoughts:D

<TABLE id=post6768231 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date --><!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6768231", true); </SCRIPT> nice truck, rocky.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Later:cool:

13. ratster

ratster

sorry to hear about your son. I bet he is proud of you right now. I lost my son in 2007 and i had his 57 ranch wagon put in storage, its was hard to look at but after reading about how happy you are after getting your sons truck on the road makes me want to get my sons 57 out and start the rebuild.

14. Your a good man and Dad just remember he has your shot gun at all times, good on you Dad

15. skull

skull

l can honestley say, l know how you feel ratster. l get people who say l know how it feels, not to be rude, but no you don't and l hope you never-ever do. that is what l say to them.

pull that wagon outta storage and work on it, it is good therapy and good for the soul when ya get drivin' down the road.

the pain never really goes away, ya learn to deal with it and having a piece of something solid that you can touch, feel and work on does help.

good luck and PLEASE post a build thread so we can follow along with ya:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  16. Thanks for sharing with all of us...glad i found your post..GOD BLESS..

-ANDY

17. barney rubble

barney rubble

I am sorry to say I know how you both feel truly. I lost my 31 year old son in a car wreck just over 2 years ago. I dont have a project of his to finish but I do have all his tools to use on mine. Now every time his daughter & son are in the shop with me we end up using his tools before we get into mine. I also make sure his now 10 year old son knows that he is using dads tools.

18. skull

skull

I am sorry to say I know how you both feel truly. I lost my 31 year old son in a car wreck just over 2 years ago. I dont have a project of his to finish but I do have all his tools to use on mine. Now every time his daughter & son are in the shop with me we end up using his tools before we get into mine. I also make sure his now 10 year old son knows that he is using dads tools.

sorry for the loss of your'e son.

build a hot rod outta those tools for the grandson:D

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

19. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

I can't imagine how you feel. My son's name is Jimmy, he's 34, and I can't imagine losing him.

The truck is badass, but all the pictures are blurry.

20. barney rubble

barney rubble

The almost 14 year old grandaughter has been helping me some on my 63-1/2 Galaxie and now tells everyone its hers.:cool::cool::cool:

21. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Sorry for your loss. He will always be your co-pilot. God bless.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam , thats got to be hard, My prayers are with you, and im sure your son is watching over this build.

23. banditomerc

banditomerc

Great job.i'm sure your boy is giving his opinoin as you go along.He will always be in your heart.stay strong.

24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I'm sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you had to go through. Great job on the truck.

25. raidmagic

raidmagic

Great tribute to your son, sorry for your loss.
    On to the wheelbarrow, how much does it kill foot room if any at all.

26. Im very sorry to hear of your, and the others loss of loved ones.
    Im sure Jimmys proud that you got the truck going, and hes watching over his dad with a huge smile.

27. paintbrush

paintbrush

Sorry for your loss. I can't begin to understand what your family is going through. It must have been so cool to have a boy who wanted to wrench along with his Dad! Cherish the memories.

God bless

28. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Sorry for your loss. Nice job

29. skull

skull

none, we cut it down the middle, trimmed the bottom on one side to fit, narrowed the other side to fit and made it fit around the firewall by trimming the top a little, cut the lip off around the edge and just kept trimming till it fit great, then welded everything up.

the wheelborrow was 25'' across by 38'' long and we ended up with 17'' across by 20'' long. then welded a pad on for the gas pedal, see pics.

l used a mister hotrod after market spoon peddle and a 1980 camaro throttle cable. works like a charm, hopes this helps.

if l can, l will answer anything about the build, don't be afraid to ask, lotta little things l did that weren't included in my first posts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  30. X2,....also that's a nice lil Dodge, they are way too overlooked.