Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

those clips look real similar to the ones all over my galaxie. there were a few different sizes, let me know what the measurements are, i might have some. if not and you dont want to fab your own Dennis Carpenter still makes em.

2. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks for the tip. I didn't see them on the site but I'll give them a call.

I'll try to remember to measure them tonight too. They have a little wire spring built into them to hold them in place.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great work as usual! I love watching this build thread, it is a beutiful car being built by a mortal human. :D

I suggest J&J Supply out of fort worth for any clips, bulk weatherstrip, etc. They are local to me but I know many resto shops nationally use them as well.

www.jandjsupply.net

4. Got your PM, Keith....I've got those clips and would be glad to send you some :cool: If you're in a hurry, tho, you can probably find 'em locally thru a PB&E (body shop supply)store or an older established body shop. Au-ve-co has tons in all sizes(but I have originals;))
    Lemme know if I can help, bud. :)

5. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks Mike. I have tracked down the clips at Restoration Specialties but not the splice parts. Do you have those? If not I could bend some up easily enough.

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Oh man, the shot with the back glass in....stunning!

7. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Too late now. :) That would have worked, but it's kind of a pita to deal with sending stuff back and forth to the powdercoater. On my next project I would really like to get all the hardware and small parts cataloged and send them to the plater for zinc coating. It takes a lot of forethought and planning though.

I just read in Car Craft about a guy who builds Camaros and saves all the hardware from each project, then has it all refinished and it goes back into bins so its ready for the next one. I guess once you do a few of the same car you can do that.

8. PM me your mailing address again---I've misplaced it---I've got the joint splices.

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Right on, I ordered the clips this morning.

10. im in awe of the vision and the craftmanship in this work of art !!! please put some tried and true chrome reverse on it or maybe some chrome slots with a red line tire

11. Keith, did you get your wheels or covers yet?

12. just read the whole tread , awesome car never heared of kaiser before but i realy like the details that allready are on the car from the factory , the stuff done to it after that only adds to the looks of the car .
    theres one thing i mightve tried to do different and thats the windowsurrounds on the doors , there realy wide and the pics i seen of the car when it was just starting to get the roofchop they wherent on yet , it looked better .
    seeing the back of the doors on later pictures i can tell that wouldve been hard to do
    as for the wheels . i actually like the black wheels that are on there now , maybe you can get a chrome beautyring and a verry small cap in the middle (the type that clamps between the wheelnuts ) and be done with it

wat you still can do is unscrew them a little and just tip the face of them with a little white paint leaving the grooves for the screwdriver unpainted and screw them back in after the paint is dry
    or get a second set of the screws you used and have them glassblasted and chromed and replace them at a later date

13. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I have not gotten wheels yet but I am planning on chrome reverse wheels. I have considered a chrome trim ring and spider cap too. Maybe I'll try that if I can't get a sponsorship and don't have the cash for a new set of wheels and tires.

Also I have seen a couple of other chopped Kaisers that trimmed down the window frames like you described. I can see why people do it, but I wanted to keep as much original styling as possible and this was a unique Kaiser trait that I chose to keep because it is different than a Ford or Chevy.

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I like the door tops a lot as they are, they scream Kaiser, losing them would be like taking out the sweetheart dip in the windshield and backlite, it would be wrong IMHO.

15. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I've seen guys put plain rectangle back windows in Kaiser before too. Really makes you wonder...

16. Astonishing build. you took one of the ugliest cars ever built(just my opinion) and made into something beautiful! You got talent, congrats,

17. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

i think it means grand nationa roadster show

18. Try this place right, I believe they have what you are looking for.
    http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Universal_Moulding_s/94.htm

19. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

20. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Big thanks to Mike (earl schieb) for sending me the splice parts I needed! The clips should be here soon and I will be able to finish installing the chrome on the package tray.

I got most of the window stainless installed over the weekend, along with adjusting a door and fender gap and replacing all the door hinge bolts. I also got black carpet for the trunk, should be a quick easy project and then the trunk will be done.

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Big thanks to Mike (earl schieb) for sending me the splice parts I needed! The clips should be here soon and I will be able to finish installing the chrome on the package tray.

I got most of the window stainless installed over the weekend, along with adjusting a door and fender gap and replacing all the door hinge bolts. I also got black carpet for the trunk, should be a quick easy project and then the trunk will be done.

22. You already got em? :eek: Dang, I coulda sent clips too---I thought you'd be held up by me :eek:

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Yep, they got here in two days, and the clips showed up too. I got it all put in this morning.

24. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Pulled the car out of the garage and shot some current pics. [​IMG][​IMG]

25. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Oh man Keith, that thing is a work of art. :D

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I put pleated white vinyl on the dash top. Now I can start assembling all the pieces. Autometer sent ms some sweet aluminum pointers to replace the orange ones so I need to blow the gauge cluster apart one last time and then I can install it. [​IMG]

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Half of it is your work of art!

28. Big Nick

Big Nick

29. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Oh man, oh man, oh man. Having a hard time coming up with the words... That puppy is just perfect.

30. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Just read 44 pages and WOW!!!!!! This is a beautiful piece of work. Can't wait to see it finished.