Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Chevy gasser....Fab pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Nov 10, 2006.

1. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Nice car wish i kept my No Mad
    Yep, That,s Cool, back when Cars had Rubber

2. CalGasser

CalGasser

My sentiments!!! :)

3. ricky from va

ricky from va

kiwi kev I dont say much but i will now . your fab work looks all most flawless. pro all the way.

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

You guys did an awesome job. 55 Chevy gassers are one of my favorites. I'm into Pontiacs thats why i'm building a Pontiac version gasser. This thread should go in the tech archive.

5. Vic,
    If you bring it to the Ventura Nats,don't forget to un-cork it!!!!!!!! Announce your interance,haha!

6. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Hey Vic, thought the car deserved bigger pics.:cool: That thing looks so RAW & MEAN. I LOVE it.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One other thing?? You going to leave the lower grill valence off ?? Oh, and can I borrow your tires & wheels for the World of Wheels here next week!!:eek::rolleyes::D Dan

7. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

8. Looking good Vic. Nice to see some progress. Looks a lot different now....

[​IMG]

9. CalGasser

CalGasser

Hey Dan, you made the pix too large - now everyone can see the flaws...:eek::D Yes, I'm leaving the lower valence off to give it that MEAN look.;) No problem with loan on the wheels - just sign over your mortgage and your first born... ha ha :D Vic

10. CalGasser

CalGasser

Hey Bob, not a problem - you mean like my Willys? :D This car will NOT have an exhaust system (or I don't plan on it anyway). I will insert a set of baffles in the collector and go with just that for muffling - unless Johnny Law has other plans for me. Wish me luck! Vic

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That's so cool I just pissed my shorts... I can just see it: 396, M-21, 4.11s. Oh, and stock manual drum brakes!

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

A blower would make this car perfect. Anything less would not be enough--except maybe a period Hilborn setup. I'd love to put an unpolished huffer on my '55.

13. trey2618

trey2618
    from Cisco

nice work, I am going to run my car one last time May 14 at Yello Belly then take the sawzall to the stock front suspension, I have my axle rebuilt and gathering remainder of parts. I noticed your frame work, I have seen alot with 2x4 and 3x4, this looks like 3x5, I like the way it matches stock frame. Is this correct and any advise on this, Thanks Trey

14. CalGasser

CalGasser

Cut55: I have an unpolished 6:71 for the car but $$$ will dictate when it'll happen.

Trey: Frame is 2x4 tubing. I think wall thickness is 1/8". Maybe Kiwi Kev can chime in? Good luck on your project. Vic

15. Vic got it right.

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Looks killer Kev !

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Any updates on that bad boy??????????

18. Kevin is doing the axle on my car now. There will be a build thread soon. If you can go to the Beatnik Blowout this weekend my car will be in Kevins garage still getting the finishing touches.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! just spent a bit searching this thread up again 'cause Hot Rod Ron and I were bench racing a '55 Chev straight axle car this weekend at the South West Nostalgia Nats... Let's see... Found a body, Check, frame, check, Buildable 350 core in the yard, Check, set of Americans & Hurst recaps, check, front end, check... What could possibly go wrong?!?! Never mind, I know...

20. Nice

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  21. 69fury

69fury

Top notch, as always- i may have to steal the expanded mesh hood mount idea if I ever do a tilter- clever and simple.

I dont understand the leaf floaters, however. I've never seen the rollers on the sides of the leafpack- how is the friction against the top/bottom straps going to be dealt with?

rick

22. I cannot get the clown with body too call me back so we can go see it and see if its buildable. gonna keep trying. Love this build and the car is real mean looking. I would do nothing else to it but get it running. I say leave the trim off.

23. CalGasser

CalGasser

Those are not rollers on the side of the leaves. They're spacers so the top and bottom plate don't tighten down on the spring when secured to allow the floater unit to slide. I installed a thin piece of teflon on the bottom so the floater will slide easier. I don't remember (CRS) what clearance I used but it's not much - just enough so the unit will slide on the sping and not rattle and clank.

There will be trim on the car but not to worry, it'll still look MEAN! :D

Vic

24. 69fury

69fury

Ah- that makes perfect sense. Never thought of teflon instead of rollers-pretty sharp.

Is durability going to be a concern with the teflon strip? I've never liked the roller style when real bearings aren't used (talking street driven applications, here)

-rick

25. With those floaters the weight of the car is supported by the pivot bolt so there is no heavy duty friction between floater and leaf spring.

26. CalGasser

CalGasser

I put teflon more to prevent metal to metal contact. I feel teflon should help with less friction. Like Kev said, load will be on the pivot bolt.

27. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thought I'd put a pulse back into this 55 Gasser build as it's been awhile since posting anything. Had the car lettered & rearend built but that's about it. Will start on it again. Enjoy the pix...:p

Attached Files:

28. CalGasser

CalGasser

Oops, forgot to acknowledge some important people...:)

Attached Files:

• HRR5.jpg
      HRR5.jpg
      File size:
      294.1 KB
      Views:
  29. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Looking sharp! Most badass...