Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser nats cancelled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GASSERGUY, Jul 17, 2011.

1. GASSERGUY

GASSERGUY

MCIR's owner announced at the Saturday morning driver's meeting that he was cancelling the third day of the event. While Gasser Magazine and the Mid America Willys Club were not advised of this surprise announcement or consulted about it, I regret any inconvenience caused by the track's decision.

Ernest

2. And the reason ??

3. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Barley no one showed......Maybe 20 cars and 50 fans I would say

4. John T.

John T.

This event needs to go back to Thompson!! It just belongs there....

I was at 42 for Race Rock just because it is closer, The AA/ Gas cars put on a GREAT show, but that was about it...

What happened to all the cars & people that packed these events in years past?

5. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that what is happening is there are too many of the events too close together. The meet at Beaver Springs was great for the first time there. People just can't afford to go to all of them. Earnest sorry to hear about Marion.
    Gasser Girl

6. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

What happened to all the cars & people that packed these events in years past?[/QUOTE]

I was at the Marion event, not many cars and just way too much down time....took both my sons and cost me 60 bucks to watch a lot of nothing. I don't know what's going on with these events, but i'm getting tired of shelling out the money and not getting my money's worth. The Thompson event a few weeks ago was a good show.....not sure why other shows are not taking off....???

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

I talked with the Marion owner last year when we were there at the Funny Car Nationals. He is first a race fan and second a track operator. Or maybe he has the track cause he loves racing!

He's at the start line for every run that he can. He talks to all the racers and is truley interested in running a good track and putting on an entertaining show to keep the fans coming. And the racers coming back, too.

Very sorry to hear that he canncelled part of his deal. It must have really been a very hard decision for him.

What was the weather forcast for these days leading up to the race weekend?
    No racers want to make a long tow with 4$ Diesel on a 50% chance of a rainout. And fans won't show when they think there will be no racing because of rain. And fans don't like 95+ temps and blazing sun either.

Not easy being a race promoter, a lot more things that can be a negative effect rather than positive outcomes.

Frank

8. chevy3755

chevy3755

was disappointed with the turn out........i still didnt see the gasser that was from Cailf...........i sure hope someone gets it right......a little steep 20.00 for what we got to see..........

9. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

The number of events all jammed up within a 6-8 week period is defenitely a big factor, not to mention most of them are in Ohio and Pennsylanvia.

However, another factor that I think is being missed, is there are so many individual little groups now, all trying to do there own thing. If someone is going to put together a big "reunion" type show, I think they should first try to coordinate with a few of the bigger gasser groups. You've got the East Coast Gassers, Midwest Gassers, Geezer Gassers, etc... Getting a commitment from these guys would get the car count up, which would also help draw spectators.

10. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Defenatly a ball dropped by someone. And the "other race" didnt help.
    I felt sorry for the fans as well as the locals that would have could have that weekend. Nobody won in this senerio........BUT if you dont try, you will never know. They tried and it is what it is.
    We will be back to the funny car nationals in a coupla weeks to do battle with the gassers and looking foward to it. This will be a event to remember and we will be a little part of it.
    Johnny Rotten

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I used to go every year when it was at Thompson, haven't been back since they moved it.

It's nostalgic racing and Thompson is a perfect nostalgia track to host it at!

12. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with you on this. I also agree that Thompson is a great track.
    Gasser Girl

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't miss the next Hot Rod reunion in Bowling Green Kentucky. The country's best rod run and almost non stop nostalgia drag racing in covered grandstands just feet from the track.

14. John T.

John T.

I agree 110%, unless it rains like it did this year..:rolleyes:

I think we are very fortunate to have as many Gasser Meets in the Ohio area and hate to see them die off cause the tracks don't find them profitable anymore.

15. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

[QUOTE
    I think we are very fortunate to have as many Gasser Meets in the Ohio area and hate to see them die off cause the tracks don't find them profitable anymore.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was at Marion on Saturday and I would hate to see that become a trend of things to come.

16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Funny after talking to a few "locals" about mcir, This didn't surprise any of them?! If there where two cars there, Sunday should have gone on! People w/cars where in rout from kentucky and Georgia we heard, afternoon on sat. after the track owner decided with out telling Those who booked the track he's ending the show sat., It makes me Sick to think of a trip like that ... To pull up to the track sunday morning to see Gasser nats. 15-17!!!! on the marque! The people that Booked the show found out about this, From the Drivers!, Not the Owner!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  17. QB409

QB409

18. QB409

QB409

19. When the drivers meeting was called,there were about 29 cars registered..that included EVERYTHING..At that meeting the track owner had decided to run ONE class..

When Ernest arrived at whatever time,the rules were all changed again..
    We towed 8 hours to get there from Ontario,Canada..
    Stayed and raced Saturday,then left for Dragway 42 for the Sunday race.

it is unfortunate that the 2 dates were the same weekend and only a few hours from each other.
    NOT sure I'd go back after this mess up !!

Rick
    ==========================================

20. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

The D42 race I dont believe hurt the MCIR as much as the race as Columbus did, thats more in their area. The race was packed from what I heard from the Funny Car guys. Also, this is a terrible date. You just had the two biggest gasser races a month ago, to come right back with all the other events going on just makes it tuff, needs to be a late august or Sept. deal. I believe Thompson will still do a fall deal, would be nice to be an official "Gasser Mag" santioned event again but sounds like the bridges may be burned.

21. John T.

John T.

I forgot about GLNFCC at National Trail going on too...

Thompson Fall Gasser meet 9/9 & 9/10, mark the calander gearheads.

Thompson & Gasser mag need to kiss and make up for the sake of Nostalgia racing in the area next year. The last event Gasser Mag. had at Thompson was one of the best events I have attended. The track had a feel to it that Saturday night and I think those in attendance will agree (2009?).

These events need the AA/ Gas cars, some Nitro cars and all the great crowd of straight axle gassers (Slick Devils add a lot with their presence). I enjoyed the spring gasser meet, but the track needs to book in some fast stuff and the spectators will come.

My .02

22. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

It didnt help when the website made it look like the actual racing would be on Sunday at 12:15 eliminations. I thought if it was sat. nite we would go. They didnt list it that way. The heat has been bad here for afternoon racing esp. at a track that really doesnt have any shady areas. So we ended up passing on it. Sad as I would have went. Just my 2 cents.

23. Dragway42

Dragway42

Rick,

Thanks for being a part of the Sunday portion of our 6th annual event.

If you missed it, your Fiat happens to be one of the vehicles included in "Random Photos From The 2011 Rock & Race Nostalgia Weekend Event" which is currently posted on the front page of http://www.Dragway42.com

24. smautobody

smautobody

Yeah that was disapointing,I'm glad I pitted next to you Johnny we are looking forward to coming out to milan atleast sat, nite was a good time ha ha especially when Eric blasted down the track at dusk with the lights out, the track owner was cool about it and offered to turn the lights on if we wanted to test the car again

25. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

regardless it was great hangin with Ohio George, Earnest, Kurtis,Jack Warren & Andy and all the other gasser people who were there!!!
    the Becks beer did help!!

Still proud to be a member of the mid america willys club 20years!

26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Hell ta the Ya!!! Good call on the Becks Vin!!! Cheers

27. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

dont forget the CSGA nationals on october 29th at thunder valley raceway park. all index 4 tenths tree 1/8th mile gassers, super stock, fed and alterds and hot rods... all day last two yrs have averaged 160 cars.... in Noble okla just south of norman , home of the sooners