Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I chopped it!!! Model A coupe, 5 inches off the top!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

5" Chop looks BAD ASS!!!

2. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Looks great. Model A's just start looking good at 5 inches. Take those pieces you removed and throw them in the trash. You'll NEVER miss them. Trust me I know. I'd have taken another inch and a half, but that's just me. I hope you plan on keeping the fender skirts on there...

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Don't throw the pieces in the trash.

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Oh yeah the splash aprons are staying! I will keep the cutouts, but I'll never "un-chop" this car. (I'm a hoarder, I keep everything!) I know you would have cut more, the friggin Green Grenade is awesome! Since this was my first chop I figured 5 inches was a good amount and still maintain decent visibility. Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

5. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

That is really cool...

6. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

WOW!!!! looks awesome

Grommet

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great Josh and hats off to the better looking half for digging in and helping.

8. billys54

billys54

9. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

nice A coupe. 5" looks great but keep in mind with your back the worst part is the watching traffic lights i dont know how you will feel after driving it for a few hours and having to crouch down at the lights. as long as you are not going to channel it and you set your seat on the floor you should be ok but you also loose leg room. i channeled mine 4" in front and 3" in rear . also gave it a 4" chop and got crafty with the headliner for more headroom. i also used rear seats from a bmw that recline a little i mounted them on the floor. i have plent of headroom and leg room but the traffic lights are still kind of a pain and i have a good back. killer rod.. hope your back heals fine you look pretty young thats a plus. here is a picture of mine.

10. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

picture of headliner. added probably 3" easy for headroom

Attached Files:

11. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

car at torquefest 2011. drove 460 mile and was very comfortable.

Attached Files:

12. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks Skip! I was happy to have the company out there, plus she's fun to talk to sometimes!! Haha! :D

Thanks for the pictures of your roof. I am planning new wood with a good lacquer as well, but I will be putting a removable cloth insert to cover the hole. As it is now, the seat is ok with the springs tied down a bit. Later for more comfort I will remove the riser and bolt the seat directly to the floor. I'm planning an SBC later down the road and probably a 32 frame, so everything will get reworked then. Right now if I lower my seat any more I'll have to get crafty with the steering column. I agree though, traffic lights are difficult to see unless you hunch forward.

13. Good work on the chop. Definately a huge attitude adjustment

14. Hell yea!!!!! Looks great!!!! Only another grey beard is prob. bitchen about cuttin it up. F em lol

15. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Nice chop,wouldnt have done it any different!

16. jipp

jipp

the chop looks good. the car looks solid, even runs.. score!! look forward to the future updates... subscribed.. just remember, build the car for your self.. and you will never have a regret :)
    seen slayer a few times, even got to meet dimebag ( pantera ) back in 96 he signed a guitar.. :)

rock on
    chris.

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks Chris. The car is rock solid, I finished up the windshield frame today along with sorting out my ignition. The PO had a Chinese condenser which of course burnt out on me. Luckily I had an original laying around to swap in, a quick regap and she's back on the road!

Awesome you got to meet Dimebag. He was truly a guitar genius, and I think they had a good thing going with Damageplan in the end. It's sad we'll never know for sure.

18. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

19. Redbeard101

Redbeard101

NICE Work...Looks Great..:)

20. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Well, got the windshield frame cut down to fit. That was the easiest part of the whole chop :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also been working on a mangled up 32 shell for the car. Lots of hours spent straightening grill bars, but the end result will be an AFFORDABLE genuine deuce shell. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, but sometimes necessity trumps insanity.

[​IMG]

21. JCW2110

JCW2110

Nice job on the chop!!! Looks bad ass!!! Was this your first chop? Been wanting to chop mine 3in But, I don't have the balls to attempt it!

22. billthx138

billthx138

Five inches looks great, I went four on mine and am happy. I just wish that I was driving mine now! Enjoy.

Attached Files:

23. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks, yours was (and is) strong inspiration for mine. It was a great debate wether to do 4 or 5 inches, and in the end I'm glad I went with 5. I plan on building another chassis on the side. Not sure if I want 32 rails or an A frame, but it will be SBC/T5. Easy going, good cruiser. Then I plan on using the existing chassis to build a RPU. I've always wanted one, I love the mix of hot rod and utility.

Thanks, I appreciate it! This is the first Model A I have done and after all is said and done, there are a few things I'd do differently like have more patience while welding. I'm getting better with not expecting things to be done in a day, but I could still benefit from some restraint. I say go for it man! Cut yours up! One thing worth noting is to plan everything out ahead of time. Read all the chop threads you can. The Rolf coupe build was a big inspiration for my chop. Great pics and his car turned out amazing!

24. navypainter

navypainter

I feel ya on the tattoo regs man. Im in the navy as well (IS2) and want to get more tats but cant. I guess I will just have to dump more money into my 28 sport coupe. Great job so far on your coupe.

25. stewscoupe1929

stewscoupe1929

That looks killer man!! Even with the 4 banger in it!! lol Awesome!

26. stewscoupe1929

stewscoupe1929

Billthx138.. you pretty much nailed the stance and chop on your coupe!.. Seen some of the build pics! looks good my Friend!

27. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

There are some pristine relics of a bygone era that need to be preserved in my opinion, I made a point of taking a junk yard dog to mess with, but I'm an Australian, old relics are probably a dime a dozen over where you are.

28. Nice job, mine is coming along very fast as well. It will be ready for LSRU 12.

29. mickeyc

mickeyc

I too have a coupe that appears to be in similar condition as yours. I will watch this process with interest, as my son would like us to chop this car as well. I did notice in the "set the roof on shot" that the right side a pillar is lined up while the left has a bit of misalignment. How did you address this issue to get correct alignment? The chop looks good.
    MickeyC.... New Orleans

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

man that thing is slick looking! Its still got a touch of old school with its stance and spoke wheels and i love it just the way it sits with the chop. awsome job! good luck with it