Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quiet Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jul 13, 2011.

1. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I guess that shows how loud my car was. hahaha I went to Dynomax bullets and they are so quiet I was actually disappointed.

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

What size are those mufflers?

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

3.5 inch bore, if I remember correctly 20 inches long stainless steel fitted to a 2 inch bore stainless exhaust. And they are Alliance members:cool:
    just contact "Porter man" on here (first post after mine) and he will be glad to answer all your questions.
    Paul

4. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Ive used the cherry bomb turbos. quieter than flows or glasspacks but louder than stock, and 20 bucks a piece. It made my neighbors happy!

5. johnboy13

johnboy13

Yeah, those sound pretty good.

351W, cast iron manifolds, dump out the sides in front of the rear wheels.

Hells YESSS!!!! Those sound fantastic. Thanks!

6. what they said
    or hemi cuda

7. johnboy13

johnboy13

Picked up a pair of the Turbo mufflers today. Thanks for the tip, I'll post a vid when I get 'em on and going. Thanks y'all.

8. johnboy13

johnboy13

Got them on yesterday and running today. Man they sound good. Thanks everyone for the input.

9. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Seems like a silly reason to replace your mufflers.
    The kids can go back to sleep after you've left. In any case, a quiet muffler is not gonna be a performance muffler.

Dynamax makes a muffler called the VT with a spring-loaded butterfly valve that makes for a quiet idle, and then opens up when you mash on the throttle. 'Looks like you're happy with the mufflers you got though...

10. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

It may be expensive but maybe you could run some electrical powered cut-outs, to make the switch from a Quiet exhaust to a loud exhaust system.

11. 35ChevSedan

35ChevSedan

I just got some quicktime cutouts and they work great. Closed everything is fairly quiet, but still a nice rumble out the back through the flowmaster 40's. They don't bother anyone in the neighborhood. But hit the switch, the butterflies open and its back to straight headers, or any point in between.

12. johnboy13

johnboy13

You don't have any kids, do you?

13. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

What size pipes??

tail pipes??

Do you have headers or manifolds??

14. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I have 3" pipes and headers and its really hard to quiet that thing down. I had flowmasters on there for years and got sick of them so I did some research and came up with Dynomax ultra-flo race mufflers. It made a big difference and they are super high quality mufflers. I felt a TQ increase over the flowmasters as well. BUT my wife still says its too loud when its at idle but it is super quiet while driving. So just yesterday I put on some short Summit glasspacks (12” maybe) on after the mufflers as resonators. I took off my 24” extension pipes that were after the mufflers and put on the little bullets turned against the flow with a 45 deg turn down. They now exit right before the rearend. They make it even better BUT there is still a resonance in the cab that I think some sound deadener and a headliner could take care of. If I could do it all over again I think I would go with the dynomax super turbos and get the long hemi ones.

15. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I used to run 2.5" and turbo mufflers from Jegs. Paid a woppin $27 dollars for them I
    think. Turned them down in front of the rear end. Folks used to ask me if I had a big
    block in my truck, because the tone was soo deep. I used to play a trick on my
    friends, and have them open the door on the truck, and with both doors open, I
    could make it revurb so deep that it would hurt your ears. I could rattle the roof
    of the car port, if I was parked under it. The tone was soo deep, I was always
    setting off car alarms, but it was never really loud..

By the way, this does no go for the original question of not waking up the kids, but I
    just miss those mufflers. I gave them away, and Jegs stopped selling that specific
    brand years ago. But they do carry all sorts of turbo mufflers still, and not for too
    much $$$.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Hell, loud pipes made it so i knew when my dad got home, then i'd have time to look busy with homework.....

17. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

My Dad, Sister and I all said that putting the Flowmaster on my Moms Jeep wagoneer was the best thing we did to that car! Plenty of time to look busy!!!

shoebirdgal and fourspeedwagon like this.
  18. I run a 355 SBC, 10.5:1 aluminum heads, and a too big of a cam in my '36.
    Shorty headers pour into a 3" exhaust with Flowmaster 44 truck style mufflers, full tail pipes that turn down at the rear bumper.
    It's very quiet and very deep.
    For a 3" exhaust it's got a great note to it and I can clearly hear the radio and all the squeaks and rattles.
    I love this exhaust system!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  19. I just installed a pair of 26" Porters on my hiboy Model A. It's not too loud but definitely not the quietest thing I own.
    But...................what a sweet sound!
    Love my PORTER'S

20. Muttley

Muttley

We will be needing a YouTube video as proof. ;) :cool:

21. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

We LOVE videos!!
    Glad you like 'em!

22. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I've always believed it depends on the engine and also how far away from said engine the muffler(s) is placed, I use 2 IMCO 22" glasspack mufflers on a 1960 Buick with the stock 401 and they sound great.. subtle but mean.. probably any lengthy glasspack will sound equally fine but I could be wrong..

23. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Hey, Hows about Sportsmens brand. I found a stash of NOS ones today and was going to just buy them anyway before searching this post.Any videos of the sound.Opinions?? I will keep two sets and sell the rest. I have never heard of this brand . Asked a old timer friend of mine and he said he ran them and liked them. Thanks Jim F

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FS,
    Here is a post from a recent exhaust notes thread. The straight through mufflers with the addition of the stock tailpipes did not make a backfire sound like some of the aftermarket mufflers and tailpipe combos. Today, some of the aftermarket sets make a sound like miniature pipes backfiring. All in the name of performance. YRMV.
    Jnaki

Hello,

In 1960-61, we had the stock mufflers taken off of our 1958 Chevy 348/280 hp Impala and added in a set of tubular straight pipe mufflers from a truck parts store. We got the set of mufflers from our friend’s gas station garage in Los Angeles. The sound without the extended tail pipes out below the rear bumper was outstanding. It was similar to open headers, but a little softer. They did not boom when letting off after a race. Did I mention that it sounded great in the back alley of our local drive in restaurant in Long Beach? Accelerating down that quiet alley sounded like a night at Lions.

But, a neighbor who was a LB policeman just happen to mentioned that my 58 Impala was bordering on illegal and that I would get a fix it ticket soon if I did not make it quieter. So later on, the local muffler shop installed the rest of the tail pipes and that made it much quieter. The motor still idled with a rump/rump sound, so it was good.

But, the straight pipe mufflers were much louder than the stock ones, even after we had the stock tailpipes installed. They also improved our times at Lions when we raced and it was still considered “stock” for the A/Stock class. No need to unbolt the cut outs under the car.

Jnaki

The idea was no restrictions in exiting the exhaust. All muffler pipes were the same size and since these straight through mufflers did not have those awful stock muffler’s crazy baffles and re-direction of the exhaust. It made the car have more horsepower. The sound was smooth, deep, and louder.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Quiet mufflers don't broadcast look at me I'm doing something I'm not supposed to.

26. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Ear plugs. After all, children should be seen, not hearing.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

These are an often overlooked long lasting alternative to glass packs, they are called Flo Pro Baffle packs.
    Available as a bottle style muffler they are quiet enough at idle and when you step on the gas they are really nice sounding.
    And, they last a long time, no glass to blow out.
    We put a pair on my sons 71 GMC truck behind a mild SBC and that exhaust system was the best sounding dual exhaust system I have encountered in many years. Beautiful.

Seriously consider these you will not be disappointed.
    http://www.flopro.com/baffle.html

baffledia.jpg

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know nothing about this subject...which is not too much different than any other but these mufflers caught my attention in a magazine.
    upload_2017-3-2_16-25-49.png

If they work, you could have a muffler that looks like your glasspacks, quiet when they need to be

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Have you heard the Auger mufflers from Speedway ? They just drop in your pipe and tack weld them to keep from rattling. They weigh almost nothing, won't burn out like Glass packs. Sounds like an original Cobra side pipe set up. Come in different diameter and gives you the look of straight pipes.
    Nice and mellow at low rpm's and cruising , sound great at higher revs. No performance loss like small core glass packs. Plus they are really cheap .

AHotRod likes this.
  30. here's how I might think about the problem:

Low frequency sound waves transmit energy through walls, floors, windows, etc...in all directions.

High frequency sound is directional and can actually bounce off and away from solid objects ( like walls)

Turbo mufflers generally noise-cancel high frequencies (and have a low rumble) .

Glass packs generally cancel out low frequencies, and have a higher frequency exhaust note.