Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moefuzz

moefuzz

[​IMG]
    ............................................................................................LOOK OUT! .............^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Is that Tacoma Narrows?

Woooooooow!

Hey, what is going on in the background?

3. I had a Duster like that when I was a kid, It was a 71 model.
    [​IMG]

4. erlomd

erlomd

wow! and no texting or posting were she is on facebook...amazing:p

5. alsancle

alsancle

That's Funny. I wonder if that car still exits? I'm thinking 6 liter but I'm not a Bentley expert.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Seems to me that the great postings on this always-enjoyable thread are as varied
    as the tastes and talents of the individual posters -- too many to mention, as I'd leave
    somebody out by accident!:D But YellerSpirit, YOU have a seemingly unique trove of
    visual treasures!:cool: These old DINERS you've shown are fascinating, in part because
    it's not hard to imagine the folks who labored long hours to make their establish-
    ments -- and especially menus -- something special.:eek: These "gathering places" really
    were part of what gave each community its character, I think. When the fast-food
    mega-chains choked off these little places, a little of the aforementioned small-town
    "flavor" passed away, as well:(, IMO.

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by fbi9c1 [​IMG]
    My wife picked up a book about Rt66 yesterday and it had a couple of paragraphs about the McDonald brothers and the beginnings of their restaurant. It says that originally they had car service. The McD's weren't satisfied with the speed of the customer turnover. It was 1948 and the self-service gas stations were starting to pop up around the area. It occurred to them that they could have "self-service" at the restaurant so they fired the carhops and started their "system".
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    THANKS, fbi9c1. Sad though it is, THAT is an important nugget of info, as to why, how and when the fast-food industry (as we know it TODAY) began to gradually drive out the independents and mom&pop stands that we remember in the '40s and '50:(, replacing them with cookie-cutter joints with a drive-through. Personal service and atmosphere as we'd known them at hometown diners, soda fountains and drive-in restaurants:cool: largely became a thing of the past, save for a few precious survivors and "retro" chains like Sonic.:eek:

[​IMG]
    Photo originally posted by LowCat

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

A constantly underpinning theme on this thread has been the nostalgic longing
    to revisit those aspects and eras in our history that are either long-gone or on
    the way out.:( It's not just cars ("sure don't make 'em like that anymore!") but ALL
    aspects of society and culture. Time marches on, and CHANGES seem to come
    inevitably with its passage.:rolleyes: If anybody doesn't get enough NOSTALGIA:cool:, you
    might want to see these two HAMB threads (and maybe have something to con-
    tribute, either a photo or a personal anecdote?):

PovertyFlats' thread, "Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater"
    and SunroofCord's "Lost Drive-In Restaurants."

9. noboD

noboD

Jimi, you are absolutely right about these old diners. In '96 coming back from the olympics on rt. 81 somewhere in Virginia I took an exit for food. The kids thought we were headed for McD's but I pulled into a local diner. They weren't happy when we went in but after a fabulous fresh hamburger, real fries, home made pie and freindly service they were happy on the way out. I love those places, will eat there whenever I can.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

jimi, you are dead on .i miss the days and times of my life when i was younger,. i miss the america i grew up with.the problems we face as a nation today has me mentally pretending that im really back in the day. i look for old diners to eat out at and two lane roads to drive on.i love to take the long way every where i go now days. im 56 and ive watched my country go to shit. i still love her but i cant stand what she has become. so in my mind , when im out in the shop its the 70s or 60s again. i DO NOT ALLOW any car thats newer than 1970 in here.i still dress and wear my hair like i did in the day.the 60s and 70s was were i was the happist and thats were im staying. my wife says i need to see a dr. some one to talk to to help me come back to reality. but i aint coming back . i like it here where im at. and these pics that you guys put up here help me stay here.so i thank you all who have posted these great pics. they mean so much to me.i still love bonanza on tv and eat at small diners,wear my hair long and drive old cars.im still love and listen to only classic rock and say yes mam and no sir.im happy here in my day and i say thank you again for these pics. ken(lost in my day) lol

11. Clik

Clik

The more we support the old diners and family restaurants the longer we'll have them. I try to avoid the chains and their mass produced food.

12. Did your Mom hit the man being helped by the crowd?

What kind of car is this??? I love the Hood ornament!

13. Do I detect a note of jealousy? 1969, the summer of love! It'll never be that cool again!!

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I must be odd... I'm 28 and when I was a kid when we were road tripping and dad decided to stop at a restaurant, my brothers and I would be disappointed when he hit a fast food place, we loved the small mom and pop establishments! (I also remember making sandwiches in the back of the van while dad was driving and handing them out to everyone so we didn't have to stop at a fast food joint)

I'm the same way, I listen to a lot of different music but always prefer the classic rock, but whenever I travel/roadtrip I take all the secondary highways and back roads, I try to eat only at the mom and pop places that I occasionally find in small towns, and I take the time to enjoy the journey... it must be nice way to do it as all my friends are always trying to go with me when I do this!

I've had a few friends who hate driving anywhere come with me in one of my old beaters and have a random adventure on these back roads to places they would have never gone to otherwise, ad absolutely love it, so there is something to that!

...And to stay on topic sort of, here are some more of my family photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Dads 47 Ford under the snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My grandpa getting a delivery from ISF (International Stock Foods) back when he was a salesman for them.

[​IMG]

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

It was red and white with a green dash from new, and nobody knows why!

17. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

man i love those old shots

18. Wow, that is odd, what color were the seats??

19. Here's one from my youth...

[​IMG]

20. Ya I guess it was the Summer of Love for some, and the Summer of Hell for others. While some of you where getting the clap from the unwashed hippy girls, others where dieing on the battle fields in a South East Asia.
    Many of us lived the later. I'm glad you at least had a good time, and I hope your life has been a full and rewarding one.
    Later, Johnny Sweet

21. 731132

from Sweden

Here are some old family pics from Sweden.
    [​IMG]
    My grandpa (to the left) and a friend of his on their motorcycles in the late 1940´s.
    [​IMG]
    My grandma on my grandpa´s motorcycle. Photo from the late 1940´s.
    [​IMG]
    My grandpa and his father next to my grandpa´s first car, an old pre-WW2 English Ford.
    [​IMG]
    My grandma next to grandpa´s first car. Both this pic and the one before are from the early 1950´s.
    [​IMG]
    Later in the mid 1950´s he traded the old pre-war ford in for a newer Ford Consul.
    Here on a family trip!
    [​IMG]
    My grandpas first car bought new, a 1959 Ford Taunus 17m P2. In front of it is my father (to the right) and a friend of his.
    He traded in the former Ford Consul for this car. Pic from the early 1960´s.
    [​IMG]
    On the way for a winter vacation in the new Ford. My father next to the car. Pic from the early 1960´s.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Johnny Sweet [​IMG]
    Ya I guess it was the Summer of Love for some, and the Summer of Hell for others. While some of you where getting the clap from the unwashed hippy girls, others where dieing on the battle fields in a South East Asia.
    Many of us lived the later. I'm glad you at least had a good time, and I hope your life has been a full and rewarding one.
    Later, Johnny Sweet

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Easy, John. That was a turbulent time for our country, and others, too. Please search the thread for Vietnam, and you'll see that nobody has turned away from the harsh realities of that time. I myself just recently posted a series of photos that showed the culture clash of the time -- war protests, people dropping out and turning on, and contrasting with patriotic guys eating C-rats and dodging bullets and booby traps. There was a ton of soul-searching then, and nobody lived through the time without experiencing changes.

Stay with this thread, bro, and I'll wager that you'll find more Yank, Aussie and Brit patriots than most anywhere else on the 'net. BUT, you'll also see a mega-ton of cool, mostly pre-'65, cars/pickups, and a ga-zillion mechanized military implements. So, bear with it -- it's worth it.:cool:

23. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

We never had Diners in Northwest PA - We had and still do have Dinors - The look the same, smell the same and serve the same food (Maybe a few different "Specials") - There have been TV specials on American life that have mentioned the difference in the spellings and no one has come up with a solid explaination.

EDIT: On the above Thread about the Summer of Love - I got to spend it and some monthes on either side in Viet Nam - Didn't have much news about what was goin on in the outside World - When I got back I decided to have my own Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter of Love, Lust and Lubrication - Lasted about 15 years

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The summer of love was just a normal summer for a 8 year old,the only thing special that happened that year I can remember was the moon landing.

25. 1SICK37

1SICK37
    from CALIFORNIA

Man alot of kool pictures.. Thanks

26. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

I can't believe some of the old farts here hasn't already caught this, but the summer of love was 1967 not 1969. I was in So. East Asia at the time and the only love I had was when one would say, "me love you long time" so off we would go and make boom boom.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Be it 67 or 69 all I was concerned with back then was if it was raining and I could not go out and play,how I wish it could be the same now.

28. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

29. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

30. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.