Register now to get rid of these ads!

Considering lace for the roof of my Galaxie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Domino

Domino

I am painting my 62 Galaxie a dark blue(Oxford blue) and I am considering a lace treatment for the roof. I am considering silver. I am still undecided about this and I welcome suggestions. I will not be doing it, but a friend that paints for a living will be. He suggested a lace tablecloth as a pattern. What is the best source for lace? I welcome any advice, pictures or color suggestions.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry Domino, the only lace I like is on womens panties.

3. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

I agree!

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

i still paint like they did in the day. we use table cloths for our patterns. try to find a tight pattern and it should look ok.we are going to paint my 62 galaxie as soonas im done with my 67 impala. we too are going to give it some lace.going to do it in lace panels and divide it in the center of the car 2 full borderd panels on the hood 2 on the top and two on the truck.gloss white car with blue lace.make it look like it was done in the late, early 70s.and i too love my girl in lace panties!!!!!!!!!! wow.

5. Domino

Domino

Panties? They still wear those? I just thought it would be something a little different. I was thinking it would look good if it was a light color and not too bright.

6. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

take a look at the post (gmc 23 t alterd) we just painted lace on it , I got the lace at a craft store and its blue and silver.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

oh yea, i forgot to mention hobby lobby used to stock a lot of paper lace patterns. i havent been there in a long time so i dont know if they still do.

8. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I say go for it.......

9. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Sorry I don't have a photo handy...
    When I painted lace on my 62' Impala SS.... about 30 years ago, I did it as a thick "Lace" Racing Stripe that extended down the center of the car (Hood-Roof-Trunk). A year later, my friend did the same thing on a 63' Impala, only he used two (Thinner) stripes. Both Jobs came out nice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

YEAH , go for it . Just get a bucket of paint & have your ole lady sit in it ,(with lace undies of course) then sit on the roof ...repeat until covered. You're on your own with the clear coat.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"
    please keep posted , got a Galaxie that needs something .

11. Domino

Domino

I am gong to pick up some lace this week. My painter is going to do some test paints on some panels laying around to see how it looks and to get a feel for it. I am going to stop by the fabric store to pick some up. We are thinking either silver or white over the dark blue roof.

12. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Antique stores are a good source for cheap lace table cloths as well! A buddy of ours just did the roof on his caddy and it looks killer. I'll post up some pictures when I find them.

13. Domino

Domino

I would like to see that. I have been collecting lace paint pics since I decided to do this.

14. Domino

Domino

Thanks for the links. I am wondering if we should do the roof white first and then do the lace in the blue or do the roof blue first and the lace in white or silver.

15. I'd do silver first, then lace colors over that. Join up at Los Boulevardos and ask some questions, it's a tradional lowrider site, lots of knowledgable guys there; lots are also H.A.M.Bers.

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

You could do something different and do a lace-panty pattern on the roof.. just lay down a few pairs of your lady's finest and spray away!

17. Domino

Domino

I am going to join and lurk for a while before posting. I like to get a feel for a forum before looking stupid. So silver first and then the lace in blue?

18. I'm no painter but I think that would look best. I'd look a lot and ask a lot of questions before you start spraying.

19. Domino

Domino

We talked about it today. We want to do the roof in white first and then do the lace in the same blue as the body. It would come down the C pillar like this.
    [​IMG]

20. Muttley

Muttley

You nailed it, now start spraying.

21. Domino

Domino

I am going to have to pick up some white paint before I can lay any paint down. I am picking up some lace this week.

22. Domino

Domino

Things are moving slow around here. We just got the white laid down on the roof.
    [​IMG]

23. Domino

Domino

We finally got the lace laid down. I decided I wanted a three panel lace layout and we spent the majority of today getting it right. Once we prepped everything we laid down the tape and cut the lace to fit. I think it turned out great. A friend of mine sprayed the paint and it turned out just like I had hoped it would. Here are a few pics. The shinier pics are the ones with clearcoat.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Skilling

Skilling
    from sweden

Nice ! Also thinking of some lace painting on my 62 galaxie :)

25. caddy6d

caddy6d

Nice..looking good man

26. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS