Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '61 Biscayne build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifalcon, Dec 23, 2010.

1. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Alright watchers.. here's what's new..
    new brakelines.. exciting, huh? :) Actually, although 50 years old, California was good to her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 3rd member came out for a thorough once-over.. found out the only reason the pinion was hard to turn, was because the axle bearings were junk.. the 3rd member is perfect.. a P-Case posi is in the future--when I find a decent one.. (anyone got one?)

[​IMG]

just a shot of the front before the front end starts back together..

[​IMG]

the drivers side door had been popped at one time.. my dad was able to fix it.. the door lines up almost perfect again, and closes really nice..

[​IMG]

rear gap area.

[​IMG]

front door gap.. nice..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

passenger rear fender to door gap..

[​IMG]

passenger fender mounted..

[​IMG]

(FWIW-- the thought had passed to go ahead and re-blacken the fenderwells and radiator support.. but, i decided to pass until the car comes apart next year for a proper 'resto')

...closer..

[​IMG]

and closer.. (dad spent a bit of time on the lower bumper to grill filler panel to straighten it out.. was a little tweaked.. not to mention the typically wasted lower valances--haven't got pictures of those yet..)

[​IMG]

had to order some more of these headlight adjusters.. Thanks Classic Industries (dang shipping is more than the cost of the kit!) I've still got the original T-3 Lights for it--they should all be good still, got a few at my house too just in case..

[​IMG]

radiator mounted.. Griffon 'muscle car' unit--nice 4-row radiator.. Thanks to Summit for most of my stuff I've been getting for this girl..

[​IMG]

Flex-a-lite 16" puller fan.. Painless thermostatic switch kits on the way for this and the trans cooler (remoted mounted Hayden unit with a fan)

[​IMG]

and, here is the big show.. New Stewart Warner gauges (made in Mexico?? yup- was looking at some old used ones, but I can trust the new ones hopefully) . Just an Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Volt gauge. Still looking for an old Tach for mounting on the column.

[​IMG]

And the ass end.. Ordered new units from Impalas.com to include the seals, new bezels, lenses, etc. Anyone know why they didn't put a bulb holder in the center but rather just had the decklid mounted lights as mere decoration??

[​IMG]

Still on the way is some rubber from Steel Rubber, an Optima 910 CA Red Top battery to be mounted in an old Econoline battery box in the trunk, some welding cable for the battery, and some other odds and ends.. Getting closer.. Still need a windshield.. dammit. :)

2. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

... just a quick update.. Scored a '64 P-Case posi unit with 3:36 gears off of the 'Bay.. Should get it next week sometime..

3. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Here's some small updates.. Using an old Econoline Battery Box I picked up years ago for keeping the battery secure in the trunk..

[​IMG]

New fuel filter installed. I like the easy to change idea behind these old canister styled Fram fuel filters..

[​IMG]

And, new rear drum brakes installed.. axles all back together with the posi in place now..

[​IMG]

Getting closer everyone...

4. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

So.. I think this is like the second time I've seen the inside of the trunk.. when I first got the '61, the only way I could open the trunk was climbing through the rear access area behind the rear seat, and manipulating the latch (no key for it).. So, here's the trunk.. Gonna replace the trunk well to make it right due to the rust in the bottom.. Clearly, some moisture was able to get in there--and sat for too long. Thanks to Eckler's for carrying these parts.

[​IMG]

and here's the view from the bottom..

[​IMG]

We'll cut right around the radius, to drop the new one in its place--

[​IMG]

Thinking about putting a ram air setup in here. Any opinions?? Taking out the inner headlights, and running some large tubes to the air intake for the big block.. opinions??

[​IMG]

And, here's the flat area on the inside of the radiator support where a clean hole could be cut..

[​IMG]

Let me know your opinions on the idea of this--or pictures of other '61's that you've got with such a setup.
    Thanks Hamber's..

5. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

"Subscribed" this is a kick ass build so far man!

6. erlomd

erlomd

looking good, keep up the good work man!

7. Looking good. Amazed at how nice those front fenders are. Hard to find a 61 without the tops rotted out these days. Are you going to run a power brake booster???? These X frame cars are heavy and can be a challenge to stop quick. Nice score on the P case. I have a set of real nice brake drums if you need any.
    Hate to see you cut holes in that nice radiator support but it will look real bitchin with that sneaky air ram.

8. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

hahhahah.. That's all I'm gonna say to this..

HotRod--thanks dude.. Just trying to keep it moving..

It's moving right along.. Got some hiccups-- found the rust out back here that was basically sneaking around with the trunk closed. The battery will be mounted in the trunk.. My dad is working hard to get this thing done for me while I'm gone.. I'm thankful for that. You all see that little white falcon in the rear with the Radir's.. That's gotta get finished next!

Yeah--this one sat in a field for a long long long time in Northern California--thus the windburned paint all around it--funny, is when I bought it, there was a second 2door sedan partnered with it. That one went somewhere else, unsure where though--but it's mostly solid thankfully. Umm.. Gonna keep the manual brakes. I'm not bragging, but i'm in pretty damn good physical shape--and if I have any trouble stopping this thing--then a power booster may be necessary.. We'll see--thanks for the thought. I"ve never driven one of these--only bigger thing has been semi-trucks and suburban's and dually-crewcabs... Of course--those are nothing in comparison. I won't know how this one drives till it's on the road--
    Yeah--just kicking around the ideas about the ram air right now.. I'd like to see other '61's or so for some thoughts-- It wouldn't be hard to repair with some perfect circles being cut out--held onto and saved in case i ever wanted to change back..
    BTW-- that P-Case unit is damned near perfect. A quick inspection showed the backlash to be spot on, and the gears have no pits or wear.. Got lucky on the 'Bay..

9. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Okay.. mostly just wiring getting done right now.. But, the headlights are put back in along with the bezels..

Here is the passenger one--it was a little squished from who knows how long ago, or why.. But, there is a little dent still behind it, barely noticable.. We aren't going to worry about that lil guy this time around.. (hoping these old T-3's still work--I have some more sitting in the garage at home..)
    [​IMG]

and the drivers side..
    [​IMG]

10. Swede64

Swede64

Good thing to protect the paint with the fender cover. Jokes aside, really cool
    car and i like what you do with it.

11. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

hahaha.. You know how long it took to get the paint looking like that?? Pssshhh.. You spend 50 years doing a paint job-- and then lean on it with your jeans without protection!!! :D

Okay, so some more pics..

Here's the first with the original black and yellows from California.. This thing was at one time registered or possibly owned by a municipality in California--I don't remember anymore.. But when I first bought it-- that was the story at the DMV.. I'll likely be putting some 1961 Illinois plates on it.. The original 1-piece bumpers are in pretty good shape-- so, I'm lucky there..

[​IMG]

again, checking out that beautiful paint job... Funny how the door and fender gaps are where the paint got preserved from the wind blaze..

[​IMG]

Here's the passenger side now.. The wind didn't spend nearly as much time beating the passenger side apparently.. I don't know what happened to the passenger door in the middle there--

[​IMG]

Passenger front corner..

[​IMG]

Here's the front before the bumper was stuck back on her..

[​IMG]

Here's that Posi that I just had to have.. :p

[​IMG]

Here's the drivers front valance put back in.. My dad beat the hell outta this thing to straighten it out. Turns out that people towing these old cars didn't pay much attention to the 'crunching' sound as the chains and straps pulled tight.. I thought it much better to straighten the originals since they weren't eaten up by rust-- these are expensive and difficult to re-locate..

[​IMG]

And, one last one for today.. Pretty damned straight now.. Only 3 more!

[​IMG]

And here's the passenger front valance..

[​IMG]

and.. full frontal..

[​IMG]

Anybody have a '61 GM car with a solid trunk well they want to donate/sell??? ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  12. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Well.. About to get the driveshaft in.. or so I thought.. I think I'll ultimately spend the cash on a nice 2-piece unit from Inland Empire Driveline.. But, here's what was left of the original.. Maybe it's the reason the car was parked in the first place....

This...

[​IMG]

was probably caused by this..

[​IMG]

..or the other way around?? Oh well.. more $$$

13. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

..ordered a brand new driveshaft from Inland Empire Drivelines couple days ago.. Should be in next week.. Getting closer and closer.. poorer and poorer.. :)

14. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

..New Driveshaft finally arrived.. Had a bit of a shipping issue, but it is in the car and it's quite a bit larger than original. Inland Empire did a good job putting it all together based on the necessary specifications. I think Nacho at Inland Empire said they are good to about 1200 hp.. I don't think I'll be too worried about the driveshaft having any problems.
    Exhaust will be bolted up soon, had to put a cheapie aluminum coating on it--

Can't load pictures up here at the computer center in Kyrgystan (headed back from AFG and just checked my email to see the pics from my dad).

Hoping to be home in about 10 days--maybe laying some patches on the concrete.. We'll see.

15. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Hey guys and gals.. Here she is on the ground finally. I still haven't made it out to see the car in person... been busy since being back on Thursday.. Just wanted to put up some pics..

Starting to wonder about the look of the huge whitewalls on the front.. Maybe in person it'll look better..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

car looks awesome, the front i think is an optical illusion because of the lip of the wheel, otherwise it would be fine, if there isnt any price difference in whitewall then blackwall i would just take them off and turn them in, otherwise leave it!

17. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

yeah, either way.. she's staying as is for right now. I like your thinking about the wheel lip producing an even more grand appearance meshed with the whitewall. I may finally get out to see it tomorrow. Maybe tonight I'll drive out, not sure yet.
    Thanks for the compliment!

18. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Well, on my trip back from California I stopped by my dad's place for a little bit.. Unfortunately the '61 stalled for a while as my dad moved shops.. But, while I was in the area, I got some things done on it--nothing earth shattering.. But, the plan is now for me to go out every couple weeks and work on it--hopefully getting it on the road for a drive before the snow falls..

While my dad was racking his head over how to get the 390HP/427 alternator bracket to work with the alternator and March Pulleys--I pulled off the rear bumper to see what could be done to straigthen out some sheetmetal..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in this one you can see the right outer corner is pushed in.

[​IMG]

and I don't know if this is the best picture--but it's back to where it's supposed to be.

[​IMG]

this is better..

[​IMG]

and this..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily when the rear bumper was pushed in, it didn't do too much damage. But, it's hard to tell just how many times this car had bumped into things with it's ass-end.. The bumper will be farmed out to get repaired as it is one of the one-piece versions.. the front will possibly need some tweaking too. But, I can only do one at a time for now.. I straightened the rear valance panels--which all of you familiar with these cars know they are typically toast.. The rears were better than the front--and thankfully had no rust. I got them back into shape and mounted them..

still contemplating replacing the whole right rear quarter... If I do--I know I'll be in for a full-repaint.. (that I will be spraying.. not upset--but it's guaranteed the car will sit until next year then.. but she'll bright and shiny..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..no, the yellow plug wires will probably not be staying..

[​IMG]

..took the steering wheel off to fix the turn signal assembly..

[​IMG]

..yeah, the trunk pan has to go..

[​IMG]

19. 70L34

70L34
    from Detroit

Neat project. My 61 needs a trunk pan so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

20. Hoefler

Hoefler
    from MN

I am building a 61 Biscayne but need the following parts to complete. Any help would be great.
    I need rear seat (I have covers)
    Four window rails-these secure to bottom of side window glass-basically need rails and guides
    Interior around window trim
    Front and rear lower valance-goes beneath bumpers
    The car was a basket from the Dakotas-no rust and was in great shape-just bare. Have replaced drive train with Ford 9" and disc brakes all around, crate motor, empire drive shaft, alum rad, all new brake lines and fuel lines, new wire harness. Its a driver but needs finishing. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

21. dvs

dvs

Hi, and welcome. I think you would probably have more responses if, perhaps, you did an introduction and started a new thread. Good luck, looks like a cool biscayne.

22. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

So, I've done some work on the '61 over the past 2 months. I took it on it's first real drive since probably the 70's or so.. Probably put 60 miles on it today taking it from Salem, Wi to Mundelein, IL for the monthly summer Park on Park show.. I couldn't believe the attention this thing was getting.. I had to make up a new throttle linkage from the pedal linkage to the carburetor--as the TV cable mounting bracket caused some issues.. I just used some 1/16" cable (96lb test) with hammer-set ferrules. I messed around for an hour or so with adjusting the TV cable until shifting "felt right". Unfortunately the speedo isn't hooked up, so I was just trying to match the speed of traffic on the highway--seemed to work well, and RPM's were nice and low--and it'd really jump to when I nailed the pedal to the floor..
    Here are some pictures of it as it sat today... search my username on youtube and you'll find some shameless videos..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

That is the coolest 60's gm car I have seen .. I love it ! My Dad had a 61 I sure wish we still had it!

24. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Looking good!, great thread, i,m lining up parts for mine....like the whitewalls too!

25. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Looks great man. I just threw the old Torque Thrusts back on mine and it totally transformed the car.

Looks like a fun ride and you should get a ton of attention, its bad A$$

26. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Yeah... I thank ya for the compliment..

Nah--i'm back for good.. I won't be doing the overseas thing again unless (well, i'll spare my political-war viewpoint..) Thanks for the compliment--and funny you mention the "insignia" as I noticed that today when I was working on the car.. Strange how we find associations in every day items..

Yeah--the whitewalls are a love-it or hate-it sorta thing.. It drives fine with these tires in the pretty weather--but the wet weather scares me with the rear slicks..

I'm a sucker for anything '60's "five-spoke" and between the Radir's on my Falcon and these TT's--I just love them and they look good on anything.. Been trying to find a good set for low-$$ for my suburban.... And you're right, it got some silly attention last week-- I couldn't believe it.. And NO--that's not what this is all about, but who's gonna deny getting a little love!! :)

27. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

...had to pull the passenger rear axle out today after going to the garage and finding a puddle of gear oil on the floor surrounding the tire.. Got to buy a new tool--an axle puller--just to do the job.. I just hope that I can get a new bearing locally or save the old one while taking it off.. I want to go to a small local show tomorrow night.. I got the rear "seat" put back in--it's like a jungle-gym of tetanus back there!!

28. Don't know if you already tried it, but instead of an axle puller you can reverse your brake drum, reinstall the lug nuts a few turns, then use the brake drum as a slide hammer. I was told it shouldn't normally take much to pull it this way, so I tried it with my '56 210 a few years ago, and it pulled out without much effort...

Scott/Gotta56forme

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Great idea,I could have used this idea about a month ago,I will try it the next time.