Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. powhatan42

powhatan42

Looking good Eric...I hope that I can catch up.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Next on the list was the lower part of the firewall, in particular around the steering column hole. The previous owner had welded on an extra piece(?) to cover some holes. From the inside I cut the welds and opened it up. Then cut steel 3mm to size and welded it in. There is still some welding to do on the firewall and will finish that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

3. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

I think you should send some photos of your complete rod to the seller, and say " Eat your heart out" LOL He had a good idea, however you took it to a much higher level!

4. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

I think you should send some photos of your completed rod to the seller, and say " Eat your heart out" LOL He had a good idea, however you took it to a much higher level!

5. farmer12

farmer12

The previous owner did have some good ideas, perhaps limited by time and/or money, it's just not the way I would have done it. I'm sure he had his reasons. He was honest about the car and sent me countless photo's to show the work he had performed, including a very solid chassis. I do like the chop he created, something I fell in love with straight away, causing me to buy the car. Some people have different standards. Maybe mine are a little extreme sometimes. I probably only this to prevent regrets and disappointments later on.:)

6. I just flipped back to the beginning of the thread as a reminder of how far you've gone with it. Damned impressive.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you drjones96! I must admit I do the same sometimes. Just to realise what has been achieved, rather than being concerned what remains to be done. Keeps me sane somehow.......well, most of the time.;)

8. farmer12

farmer12

The lead work on both rear fenders are now done, including the small area below the tail lights. Going to smooth it out with 180 grit before I remove the red primer. I'm very happy with the end result, much better than before. It creates a very nice flowing line which compliments the overall shape of the car, in my opinion.

Attached Files:

9. farmer12

farmer12

Finished off the final welding on the cowl. Next on the list: getting to fit the removable tunnel properly. Considering the floor has changed slightly due to a fair bit of welding, I needed to bring the two back together. I started by bolting it to the firewall, lining it up with the fixed tunnel. Next I drilled holes on the rear of the removable part and bolted it to the fixed tunnel. From there I progressed from the firewall backwards, one bolt at a time while shaping it to the floor. Took me close to 4 hours before I had it looking the way you see it here in the pics. Another job done!

Attached Files:

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Love it! Next time you come to the States maybe you can work on mine. It's rare for me to look at a car and think I wouldn't change anything about it, but that's the feeling I get everytime I look at yours. Keep the updates coming.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Wow, thank you James. It is not very often I'm lost for words.....More updates at the end of next week.

12. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

Lookin good dude! Nice metal work, you need a break. What seats are you going with?

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks powhatan42! Taking a few days off metal work, as regular flying duties are calling.

To answer your question: I'm going to use a bench seat. Here's an old pic from a year ago.

Attached Files:

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Throw a mexican blanket on there and call it good! :D

15. farmer12

farmer12

Are you sure that won't be too fancy?:D

16. elvi411

elvi411

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you elvi411 for the compliment!

18. farmer12

farmer12

Hahaha, you win. I'm not going to rush anything.....you know my motto, it's finished when it's finished! No sooner. Good luck with your build.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

lol

20. Eric, I must admit that lately I just log in to see your build. Envious as it's my dream car and can't blame you for falling head over heels for that chop! Good job man! Keep the pics coming, me likey!

21. farmer12

farmer12

Damn, I'm lost for words again......thank you!

22. erlomd

erlomd

one of the few cars I can say...should carry a shot gun...that thing is insane! looks evil. my buddy had his 331 built by the same guy who built your hemi...thats awesome!

I think this is it...

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bynIPFTZK9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks erlomd. Yep, that's my engine allright. I think most of the views of this vid on You Tube are by me! A little therapy to keep me motivated! The engine builder is Eddie Haines at HemiHaines. One great guy!

24. powhatan42

powhatan42

Got ya thanks for the photo. You have the wings, you got to fly, have a safe trip.

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

After listening to that video again I've come to the conclusion its a good thing you leaded your fenders on. That motor is gonna rattle that whole car; bolts loosening, fenders rattling, all that nice metal work you've done shaking like a cop in a donut shop. The Netherlands has NO idea what its in for! :D

26. farmer12

farmer12

To be honest, I can't wait to start it up once it's in the chassis. Man, that is going to be music to my ears. (and the neighbourhood!) Patience,patience....

27. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

It has to sound even better sitting in your chassis with real headers, not boat header...LOL

28. farmer12

farmer12

I'll make sure to film it when I'm going to start it up. That way everyone can enjoy the music!:D

29. powhatan42

powhatan42

Got ya...make sure you have the good camera:D Also special instructions to turn up the volume!!! I can't wait, but I will have to.

30. farmer12

farmer12

Got to work on a few small things today. Fabricated a piece to go in the top corner of the c-notch and welded it in place. While I had the welder in my hand, I finished the welding on the tunnel and some smaller area that still needed attention. Then got the old grinder out and smoothed the welds. Pretty tough work while laying on the ground.......my arms are killing me right now. Oh yeah, and finally got a pic of me next to the car. About time!

Attached Files: