Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. barney rubble

barney rubble

How about a pic of that thing apart so I can see the parts a little better.

2. bkap

bkap

Very cool. Thanks.

3. Hi GAb,

I was really impressed with the band saw and your drawings, but being an old fart and very computer illiterate, I was wondering if you could send me a sketch or dimensional drawing, so I can put one together. I can supply my e-mail or snail mail if you contact me please... I am in Western Australia and love this site and what all you creative, skilled guys (and gals) can do.

4. aribert

aribert

Low clearance creeper

I made this creeper about 20 years ago - before I heard of the DogBone or other low profile creepers. I made it mummy shaped to allow me to get into tight areas (around jack stands, floor jack and the like. Originally it had 2 inch dia casters with 1/4 inch ground clearance. The creeper kept finding small rocks, nuts, bolts, small wrenches to drag on. When I saw some 2.5 inch urethane wheeled casters (wheels similar to what is used on a roller blade) I used the opportunity to increase the ground clearance to 3/4 inch. I had to add outriggers for the new casters.

The creeper is 45 inches long, made up of 1 inch square tubing and 1/4 flat stock with a padded vinyl wrap on 3/8 plywood. I shaped a piece of dense foam for the two step headrest. If I were to do this over I would increase the upper head rest step by an extra 1.5 inches. I have gotten quite used to this creeper and get annoyed when I use one of the 36 inch long wooden ones that pop up when I start to sit down on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/metalworking/PC180007.jpg
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/metalworking/PC180003.jpg
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/metalworking/PC180012.jpg
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/metalworking/PC180001.jpg

5. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

See,,,, It pays to Patten the simple things in life,,,, But then again,,,, You would probably be posting on some wall Street Blog rather than hear on the HAMB if you did. :D
    Nice Job.

6. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

So, this is not my idea, but rather I got the idea from another thread here on the H.A.M.B. and decided to build one myself. I posted pics on the thread I got the info from, and someone suggested I post them here on the homemade tool thread. So here I am! This is the thread where I found the info --> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6743432#post6743432

It's a leaf spring spreader to make installing leaf springs WAY easier.
    I decided to do the threaded rod method, and it worked wonders. About $13 for the tube, allthread, nut, and washer. not bad for a tool that is so incredibly helpful with a difficult task.
    I did just as described in this thread. I bought a piece of 5/8" all thread, and a piece of square steel tubing just slightly larger than the all thread. 3/4" I believe. Used a couple whacks of a hammer and steel chisel on two opposing sides of one end of the square tubing. basically making one end of the tube look slightly like an hour glass. The point of this was for the two side walls to fold inward instead of outward when I flattened the end. Then I beat the end relatively equal on the other two sides the create somewhat of a chisel tip on one end of the steel tube. Then I used a grinder on one end of the all thread to accomplish the same thing. Thread the nut onto the all thread, stick the washer on it, and slight it inside the tube. Now you have yourself a handy dandy leaf spring stretcher that will save you lots of time when trying to remove or install leaf springs. Just put either end of the stretcher in the crevice near the eye of each side of the leaf spring, tighten the nut, and voila!

Now here come the pictures.
    The first few pictures show both ends of the spring spreader so you can see how they were made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next two pictures show how both ends are positioned on the leaf spring itself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the last two pictures are a before and after, if you will, of the spreader in action.
    The first is before the nut has been tightened. The spreader has been extended just long enough to hold it on the leaf spring. In the second picture, the spreader has been extended enough to spread the leaf spring out at least a couple of inches. I didn't measure but you can tell just by looking that the difference is clear. The nut wasn't even getting difficult to turn at this point. This is definitely a great tool to make and keep around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dusty-NZ likes this.
  7. Damn. That's a cool tool.

8. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

rytang likes this.
  9. Wardog

Wardog

Oh yeah bring that combo shit on!!!
    I've allready built an english wheel and beadroller after reading this thread. I also have a air chisle to make a planishing hammer out of.
    Realy keen to see this built.
    How about incorperating a mechanical louvre punch as well like the williams one?

10. captmullette

captmullette

I did not make this, as you can see, but while in the process of running my fuel line on my sedan the square tubing is 1/4 in. wall i finally ran out of drill bits and i didnt really have room for my angle drill and bit, so i got one of these self drilling screws, works great in that 1/4 in. steel for a pilot hole, am i dumb, or did all you guys know this.....plus you get a full box for 5 bucks..

Attached Files:

wrench3047 likes this.
  11. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Ya,,,, Found out about them back in the 90's. There the Cat's Ass Man.

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yeah, they make great taps too. :D

I've used them when installing clamps or hold downs in tight locations to be able to drill and tap the hole, then replace it with a better screw (I can't seem to get the self drilling / taping ones tight enough, the heads twist off before it happens :( ).

Just make sure to get screws the same size and thread pitch. :D

13. Truxx1956

Truxx1956

I just love it everytime that you post man, I get to see your avatar :D :cool:

14. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23

Hey that's a great idea and I just happen to have an extra table saw. . .can't believe I never thought of that before. . .

. . .just found this thread via a link from Race-dezert.com. . .thanks for posting all the great ideas!

15. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

the next thing to this is when you chuck the screw (1/4 hex ones)directly in the drill.for one,its hard to drop,especailly if theres a ring terminal and wire on it-great for under dash ground wires.also makes great short bit when an angle drill is all the room you have.

16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I've been using those for years instead of clecos cause theyre cheaper and no one steals em!!

17. Wardog

Wardog

Here they are.

Attached Files:

18. Wardog

Wardog

Also an 18" brake and a 12" anvil

Attached Files:

19. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Is that anvil made from a rail road track?

Also do you have tge building plans for the 18" brake? I like the simplicity of that one you have there.

Makes me wonder where you can buy surplus rail road track now days?

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

20. Wardog

Wardog

The brake is a mixture of what came out of my head and looking at the six footer at work.
    Yes the anvil is rail road track. A guy i work with gave me three foot. Ask around, Now I have some every one seems to offer it to me!

21. Voh

Voh

[​IMG]

do you have a back shot of that brake? I would like to see more on the clamp setup. I built a break a bit back, but neet to improve on the clamp. That looks good.

22. Wardog

Wardog

I'll try to get a couple more shots up soon for you guys.

23. Jon1953B4

Jon1953B4
    from MD

Not as much homemade as pieced together w/ free parts but I think its cool and it serves its purpose.

Attached Files:

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope it was grade 8, Jeff! Run of the mill all thread can be pretty soft and you can't imagine how quickly you will jump/jerk or whatever when that sucker let's go. I've had my coil spring comressor turn loose on a compressed spring and it's scary!

25. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

x2! I like a block of wood and the weight of the car, with the motor in of course!! It's not always possible, though. I have seen several "quality" spring compressors let go without warning and its not fun!!

26. Wardog

Wardog

Hope this helps. The third shot is from behind.

Attached Files:

27. Voh

Voh

I carved out a dish in the top of a hardwood log. Not 100% sure the dish is the right shape, but i will try it out.
    [​IMG]

28. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Any dish is a good dish! I like mine with variations so I can make different contours. I dont think I have one dish thats even close to perfectly round.

29. Dang I just had to register because of this rockin' thread Thanks guys n gals

30. 296moon

296moon
    from england

10 minute square tube bender, [​IMG] [​IMG]