Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Little Deuce Coupe" dumbass question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VirgilHilts, Jul 23, 2005.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Thats disappointing......what...there were no flathead deuces around?

2. Larry T

Larry T

Well, let's see. In the mid 60's flatheads weren't traditional, just obsolete and slow. Not many around in Hot Rods.
    Larry T

3. 32INXS

32INXS
    from Missouri

There was a TV show last winter that showed the car being owned by Chili's son and it was on loan to the Petersen Museum. His son actually got in it for the show. Notice how the swastika on the front of the blower got removed between the Hod Rod Magazine picture and the Album Cover. It was a great car then and is still looks great today. Chili's son may have bought it back from the other man mentioned in this thread.

4. Does anybody have any pictures of it before it was broken down for before its current restoration? Just curious is all. It has been a very influential car in my life as I can see it was and is in many others. Great thread.

5. studebaker46

studebaker46

in the 60s swastikas were abig part of the sufer culture beach boys surfin you dig

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Maybe some WSRA or NJSRO guys will chime in here because one of them owned it. It was at the NESRO run at the Playboy club in Great Gorge NJ. I know for sure because I have pictures of it and was parked across from it wit my yellow 40 Willys coupe (all steel) that was 74/75.

Pat

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Not slow according to the song....:rolleyes:

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

That is the correct answer from the stories George has told me ... Surf Nazis ... that cover always tripped me out..

they didn't remove the Swastika on the album.. the shot is taken at a slightly lower
    angle cutting off the pulley.

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

10. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Larry Alexander told me that Chili was upset about the cover cause he missed fame by a head. hahahaha

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:eek::mad:NOOOOOO! Say it isnt so!!!:rolleyes:

12. Larry T

Larry T

Just so happens that one of my "older" friends was about the top dog in town with a flathead powered 32 in the fifties. He told me about getting his butt handed to him by a stock J-6 Olds. He said that when he caught up with the car a girl was driving it. He was telling me the story 20 years later and you could still tell that still aggravated him a LOT. Changing of eras, by the 60's it was done.
    Larry T

13. Larry T

Larry T

It's a song, not a documentary. (G)
    Larry T

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Chili, a few months after the Hot Rod Mag photo shoot, wrote in to say that the " swastika" had been removed...Not sure which way the good luck symble or swastikas pointed, swastikas may have been the reverse of the original..Either way Chili was upset an appollogised for it being interpitated as support for Nazi and removed it....

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There is pretty much no right or wrong way to make a swastika whether in American Indian (now Native American) work or Indian work from India well before the Nazis used the symbol. You'll find them and the German cross, not Iron Cross, on many cars, bikes, etc. from that era. It was just a upset the folks thing like the chrome-plated Nazi helmets and other stuff.

16. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

The lyrics don't surprise me,as Brian Wilson and the rest of the beach boys were never really Gear heads. All they did was stringing together the latest hot Rod "buzzwords" that they acquired from more knowledgeable people and hoped no one would notice. Dick Dale however, was the real thing.
    Paul

17. Deuces

Deuces

Speaking of the "Beach Boyz" They're going to be in town at Pine Knob (in Michigan) on the 29th on this month.. Tickets are still for sale if anyone is interested.. I might go if the ol' lady ain't workin' that night... :D

18. 32INXS

32INXS
    from Missouri

Attached is the July, 1961 article from Hot Rod Magazine, July, 1961, Petersen Publishing Co, along with a complaint about the swastika and Clanence's (Chili) reply. This car grabbed me as a kid and I remember my father, who fought in WWII, being angry about the swastika and I didn't want him to throw the magazine away. To me, it was just the greatest car I had ever seen, and I am glad it is still around to be admired for the great custom that it is.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sounds like they would have fit in well around here...

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, that's not exactly correct, Paul. Dennis Wilson (Brian's brother, and the drummer for the Beach Boys) raced regularly at San Fernando Raceway in Los Angeles during the sixties. He raced his yellow Cobra and was very competitive, and actually won many races there.

[​IMG]

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I stand corrected.

Paul

22. Interesting and articulate reply.

Here's another F' the Nazi's story. It is a very old symbol pity it was perverted by Hitler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

23. Some clarifications, in the movie of Chili's son, the coupe was not at a gas staion across the street, it was on the same side of the street down a block. THe coupe was not in a field behind the gas station, it was parked beside Ziggy the body man's, mother's house on Monroe street about 5 miles from the gas station., and I was with Chili the day he drug it to the station with a chain.
    I was involved in the early days of the car before it went to Alexander brothers.
    As to the swastika, I can certainly see how it would offend people so soon after the war, also remember that at the time this car was constructed, Chill was in his very early twenties. I am convinced that the swastika was probably Ed Roths idea as he and Chili were friends at that time in CA. Roth was there for the photo shoot that was used on the cover of Hotrod and the Beachboys album.

24. Deuces

Deuces

So, does anyone have some "new" color photos of the Silver Saphire??? Please post'em.. Thanks!

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

must have missed the ":rolleyes:"

26. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Never seen a "J-6 Olds"
    Must be rare.

27. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, 3 times as good as a J-2.
    Senior moment, I'll go sit in the corner now.
    Larry T

28. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

6 lashes with a wet noodle. or it that 2 lashes?

If I had my choice on the "Little Deuce Coupe" it would have the six deuces and no blower. Neat little car though.

29. erlomd

erlomd

I prefer the original version of the car...with the scallop paint job and without the blower
    never was a big fan of this car, it was just picked out to be on the cover. made no conection to the song other than it was a 3 window coupe.
    in all honesty i never really liked that 60's roth type fiberglass grill shells with the funky grills and added lights...came to a point that people were adding things just to stick out and be differnet. just my 2cents
    its channled but still sits very high...oh well, its still iconic and memorable.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  30. I think they were into cars,,,

Dennis Wilson owned a 55 T-Bird

Al Jardine had an Avanti and a hemi cuda.

Mike Love owned a 57 wagon,a early MG TC , a late 30's Rolls Royce and a 66 jag XKE

Carl Wilson had a 64 Grand Prix ana a Aston Martin

Brian was too stoned to drive,,:rolleyes: HRP