Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Timonium 1974

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. CHOP36

CHOP36

I was there It was a great time .I will find my pictures and post them.These pictures bring back good memories.Thanks for posting .

HiHelix likes this.
  2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Capitol Streetrods came up with the idea. Real jousting is the Maryland state sport. We did it at Timonium and at the Western Maryland Rod Roundup show. The first few years of that show were a joint venture of Western Md. and Capitol Street rods.They have kept up the tradition. We even did it for NSRA at the 1980 Nats at Memphis. I spent a few hours in 100 degree weather clipping on mason jar seals.:D I'll always remember Billy Armstrong's roadster teetering on it's right 2 wheels for what seemed like 5 minutes before it finally fell back to earth on all 4s in Cumberland. That was scary.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I believe that White Hi-boy roadstser is "Lil John Buttera". I made it to all the Timonium events untill 1980 including the unofficial one at the college in Rockville. Where's Rich Venza, he knows all about these. I gotta look for my pictures now!

Pat

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I think the 32 Chevy is Tommy Tylee's, the 34 5w is Richard Wilson's (it says in small letters..this is NOT the California Kid) and I think the A sedan might be Jerry Haney's They were all from northern Va.

HiHelix likes this.
  5. Hats off to lothian Don for keeping these pictures around, you guys keep the dream alive.

6. oldolds

oldolds

I am 51 years old. I remember some of them from later years in York. Early 80's. What suprises me is all that paint with shine.
    In the late 60's to early 70's I was at the drag races with my pop. There was a lot of shine there.
    The older street rodder friends tell me that there was no shine at street rod events in the early 70's.
    They also said that if it wasn't a Ford you were in a strange car. I see quite a few non- Fords in the background.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    chryslerfan55 and 31 B'ville like this.
  7. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

That white roadster is lil john for sure, I think that's the same car that was redone w/his first billet wheels and mirrors and painted silver, I saw it at OCIR in '75. Only god knew what that car caused.

HiHelix likes this.
  8. ..I think those guys gave you some bad information. While it was no shame to have a car in primer, most folks seemed to try to get their car into nice paint eventually as these pictures indicate. And while the majority of the cars may have been Fords, for reasons that have been widely discussed, there was always a nice representation of other makes, notably Early Chevies, MoPars, Willys, Anglias, Henry Js and others.:).....Don.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    chryslerfan55, alanp561 and HiHelix like this.
  9. I remember the Timonium meets and drove my 46 International to at least two or three of them. How many others still have the same car that they had then?

Yes, I remember the "rod jousting" they were fun events.

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Ha, I was thinking that looks like Brucie on the right, then I saw the username :p

As for Timonium '74, my '47 was there, I even have a few pictures from the show, even though I wasn't born yet :cool:

11. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

my friends & i loaded up the old van a couple of years in a row before it came to york ,do remember the t-bucket with the 3- 4 barrle carbs & the flamed 5-window ,those pic's might have been @ '77 or '78 ,man i can almost hear some deep purple blastin' out the speakers now !!!!

chryslerfan55 and HiHelix like this.
  12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

You mean you don't recognize the young CB? I was trying to blend in by wearing the exact same shirt as those guys......I'd like to have that shirt now......of course, it wouldn't fit me now!

CB

13. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

The flamed '34 in this pic was from the Delaware Street Rods.........I remember the guy who owned it and called it *The Delaware Kid*........can't think of his name right now....

CB

14. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Well I was there in 76 with a 37 ford coup. Still have the pin and dash plaque. Sold the car about a year later at Carlisle for $2,500.00.
    Just Shoot me.

lothiandon1940 and HiHelix like this.
  15. I was there in Timonium in 74 and so was my 40, but it wasn't mine yet! I did have my 55 Chevy and it was like our very own American Graffiti cruising up and down York Rd in Timonium with all the rods. I was glad to see the return of hot rodding in any form, even if they were callng it street rodding. Granted, there were many resto rods and the like but it was a step in the right direction as muscle cars were starting to get smogged to death and I always liked hot rods better!
    Here's a shot of my 40 back when I first got it. It was about as homely as a mud fence, but it was all mine!:D (sorry for the crappy instamatic pictures):rolleyes:

I still own it today but it looks a little different.:)

[​IMG]

The nose was in the air!

[​IMG]

16. Here's a few crappy polaroids... the '32 Chevy is Tommy Tylee's; a '27 Chevy PU with "T" fenders; the '40 Ford got an award for "Best Paint;" Kevin Maloney's extended "T" roadster from CT; and the National Bo beer truck. Check out all the "Stroker" caps.

Attached Files:

17. Here's some more from Nats East '74...

Attached Files:

18. A few more...

Attached Files:

19. Some more...

Attached Files:

20. jipp

jipp

the year i was born.. so cool.. i love Tbuckets and these are what i remember seeing grown up.. i really am into the look of the bobtail T's ( gonna build one soon. )when did they come into sty;e/ 70s seem the Ts had the brass radiators and huge tops on them with them ugly brass head lights. but id drive a 70s built T any day.

chris.

21. All for now... the last pic is a little O/T as far as the car, but that's "Bunny" Burkett whose usually seen drag racing at the track.

Attached Files:

22. The "T" has been popular for a long time. One of the more noted ones is Ed "Isky" Iskanderian's which I believe was built in the early '40s. Another is Norm Grabowski's "Kookie" T which was built in the mid '50s and featured in a popular TV program of the time, "77 Sunset Strip." Even in the early '70s, the "T" was still very popular. So, go ahead and get that build started.

23. TOE

TOE

Awesome post, I love the old photos!

Keep them coming guys.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Bunny Burkett was at the recent York U.S. 30 Reunion happily signing autographs and still looking good. Nice lady.

25. I think she's one of those timeless ladies like Linda Vaughn. I wasn't able to make it to the York US 30 Reunion, unfortunately. Maybe next year.

lothiandon1940 and HiHelix like this.
  26. .....She was there as well, patiently signing dozens of autographs and smiling the whole time.:)

27. |Tom|

|Tom|

Awesome pics!

HiHelix and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Freakin' great stuff!!!!

HiHelix and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. jipp

jipp

thanks for the encouragement. im collecting a few parts while i wait for winter.. around here our winters are like your summers.. we just try to stay cool this time of year. triple digits..

i watched some small clips of the tv show you mention. never seen a full show tho.. would be cool if they come out with a DVD.. i did buy the video from madcats and the replica he built of one of norms car using the original headers off norms car.. good stuff.
    have a great night.
    chris.

30. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

In post #47 is the Armstrong '32 3 window in its earlier configuration. It was later painted candy yellow and the American mags were polished. If look real close, while I am not in the picture, you can see a trail of drool on the ground and that is mine. I was 16 and I was there. The Armstrong 3-window and the baby blue and red/black from one of the earlier posts are the cars that have influenced me my entire adult life.