Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quiet Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jul 13, 2011.

1. johnboy13

johnboy13

I've had glass packs on my truck since '02. The glass has blown out years ago so I'm basically running straight pipes. It's loud, super loud. I love the sound of it, especially under bridges. Here's the problem though, I can't drive it to work because I leave at 5:30am and the garage is right by the kids bedroom. It wakes the kids up and then I'm in the doghouse with the wife. I've come home at lunch and driven the truck back, but that's really no fun and uses up more gas than I'd like. Go ahead and flame me if you have to, but I'm looking for something quiet. Not '94 Buick Roadmaster quiet, but quiet enough to not wake the kids up when I leave. Any suggestions?

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Why not just buy new glasspacks, the longer kind ??
    JMHO...
    Cheers............

3. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I know the feeling of being in the dog house because of a loud truck, My 65 f100 was soooo loud no pipes at all and we lived in apartments and would get threaten'd to get kicked out if i didint chang the mufflers... One time the apt manager told me to get new mufflers cause the ones i have are to loud i said what mufflers

CBurne7 likes this.
  4. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Dynomax bullets. They have a nice tone, they are small, they are cheap. I went from open headers to Bullets because my neighbors complained about my car. I like them. (the bullets, not my neighbors)

CBurne7 likes this.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Do what my dad did, make them hang out around more hot rods and straight pipped harleys and their hearing will be gone in no time

6. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

7. its a classic

its a classic
    from montana

well park on the street away from your kids bedroom! i would just try putting a piece of pipe where your muffs were and see what it sounds like. i used to run where the pipes came out of the manifolds and came together underneeth the tranny i had it cut off straight pipe but after my parents said they could hear me turn off the highway 5 miles away when they were in the house i added about three feet of 2.5 pipe behind it and its still loud but not too bad and it keeps the cops away. that would still wake up your kids thou. i would just do what hdonlybob said and get some new longer glasspacks

jhammer likes this.
  8. I am running plain old "turbo" mufflers on my roadster. Quiet but not Buick quiet. Cheap.

falcongeorge and fourspeedwagon like this.
  9. I like the cheap generic turbo mufflers as well. Nice deeper sound, not expensive, not too quiet - especially if you have turn downs at the rear axle.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A longer quality brand glass pack like a Walker Continental should give a decent motorboat rumble but not rattle the windows. Or a set of Porters. I'm burned out on loud for the sake of loud but still love the sound of a really sweet set of pipes.

11. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Brilliant! That's what my dad did, with the addition of dragsters . . . . On a serious note, go with long Porters or Smittys. Talk to Porter Man here on the HAMB . . . .

Matt

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Find a local muffler shop and get new 30" bullet glass-packs. My favorite for more than 40 years. Has always been my first modification to a new ride.

13. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

dynomax super turbos?

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

What ever you do DON'T try Flowmaster "HushPower" mufflers! I fell for the "HUSH" and their as loud as straight pipes, their sitting on my sons garage floor right now. Try Dynomax or Porters, the longest ones that will fit. A nice mellow sound that will only wake the kids if your running late in the morning.

15. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Well said!

16. 1320/150

1320/150

I have never tried a smaller diameter Dynomax bullet.,but I have used both 3 and 4 inch dynomax bullets. They are as loud as a straight pipe. You're gonna be pissed with dynomax bullets,if you don't want to wake up you're kids!!!!!

I have a slight slope out of my garage into the road. I just simply push the car out to the road,and fire away. However I don't know your driveway configuration????

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  17. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

yea the bullets are pretty loud, in the same family as slp loudmouths and magnaflow magnapacks. used in the mustang world quite often.

heres a clip of the super turbos although not a hamb friendly car

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ycwiu1xi_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Gator

Gator

You don't mention, but are the pipes on your truck ran all the way out or?

Length, diameter, number of bends headers also have a role in how loud you run.

On my 55 Chevy pickup I've got long tube headers 2 1/2 pipes, and 'turbo' mufflers turned out in front of the wheels. Sounds good, not TOO loud.

Same mufflers on my '33 Plymouth coupe - rams horn manifolds, 2" pipes, and ran all the way over the axle and out the back. You can hardly hear it, and it's got a better motor than the truck.

Good advice here, I'd go with some new, quality glass packs. Planning on just that for the Plymouth soon.

19. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You could roll the truck into the street and then turn it on.

I'd go with Porter mufflers.

20. If you have room cheap turbo mufflers work real well. You get a low rumble but not a wake the dead roar of a blown out glass pack.

If you could still get them we used to use cadillac reverse flow mufflers on our sleepers. They were real mellow but good at disguising the sound of a hot motor in a granny car.

21. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Park on the other side of the house.

22. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Shit! I guess I'm not going to be selling him some almost new Hushpowers for a decent price. Thanks...

23. my parents theory when i was growing up; if i'm up, your up. solved the curfew problem, i was too tired to stay up late. sounds like you need a set of quiet mufflers and dump outs.

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Porters,absolutely swear by them. Nice mellow rumble, unless you really put your foot in it! These are on a 351 Winsor.

good luck

25. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

26. MCM

MCM

That's what I do when I get home late since my neighbor's bedroom window is right off of my driveway. Idle it up to my gate and shut it off as soon as I can, then push it the rest of the way...

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I prefer the Cherry Bombs sound but when you want a good quality muffler with a great sound but not to loud that rattles the windows then I would go with either Porters or Smithys . They both have that Old Skool Hot Rod sound !

Retro Jim

28. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Any turbo muffler. Gives it a bit of a rumble, but quiet enough for bedroom windows.

Alex.

29. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

dynomax bullets are loud as shit. i have some cheapy "turbo" mufflers from summit on my 302 f-100. they sound exactly what you'd think a flowmaster crossed with a regular turbo muffler would sound like. fairly tame with a little bit of resonance/rumble but not annoyingly loud. overall they sound good without being loud.

30. Dynomax bullets are about 80% as loud as open headers.

I'm thinking I want something that has barely any noise at all... 3 chamber flowmasters?