Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 ford coupe to roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bart78, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Bart78

Bart78

I have been trying to get ideas for my 37 coupe. The roof is in bad shape. I got the car from my uncle and he had plans to make it into a roadster. I have been kicking around idea of doing the same. What do yall thank.

2. I think you need to put some pics up, so it'll make it easy for people to give you their opinions. :):D

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Look for a donor body and get a good roof of of it. Not many coupes with the roof cut off to make a roadster turn out very well.

4. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

X2 on saving the coupe - expecially since its a '37. How bad is it? Pics??

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Oh god no. Please don't. :(

6. Bart78

Bart78

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Go down to Austin and see Mercury Charlie, he can knock you out a repair panel in no time. Roof structure is good, just get the hole in the sheetmetal filled and you'll be back in business.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That one is definitely save-able. Keep it as a coupe, honestly you will never be sorry.

Attached Files:

9. wild37

wild37

save the coupe

10. Roadsters are a family tradition and I am a coupe man myself. I just don't care for roadsters much they are a fair weather vehicle.

That said very seldom does a coupe turned roadster look correct the quarters are wrong to start with. As much work as it would take to make it right it would be easier to repair the rood that you already have. If you want to loose the roof you are far better off to find a correct convertable top and make a cabriolet out of it. That at least would look some what correct.

Keep it a coupe and make it a stunner. You can do it I know you can.

11. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I agree. Fix the roof.

12. Racrdad

Racrdad

Yep, as everybody else is say just fix the roof. You will be glad you did in the long run.

13. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Keep the roof.

14. Yeah, you're right. This looks terrible.

[​IMG]

Yours looks savable as a coupe however ,now that you have posted a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  15. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I recently read an article about a '39 which is the same basic body shap with a 2" chop and a carson top. it was a beautiful car.

I would still be after saving the coupe myself. But that does not rule out the carson top in my book. The hardest part is either teaching yourself how to build one or finding someone who can.

16. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I did a 36 coupe to roadster 11 years ago, I found a 36 roadster cowl, if you can find a 37 roadster cowl, (????), it makes the change easier and looks correct.
    With that said, I believe your coupe is fixable, but do as you want man, 37 roadster would be tits.

Gary

17. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Ford didn't do a roadster in 37, so it's always going to look wrong. If you really want a 37 roadster, start with a Tudor, but please don't cut up a saveable coupe. They ain't makin em anymore, and most were used up on the stock car circuits.
    Ed

18. ems customer service

ems customer service

roadster parts for 37 very very rare, most were for export. and the conversionis difficult with out those parts. and the you still have the top irons to find (expensive)

fix the roof

the ems guy

19. Save it as a coupe and it's less work then turning it in to a roadster

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

What about the NOS coupe roof skin that was offered up in the other thread you had? Were you not able to get it??

21. Bart78

Bart78

I am sure he has it but the cost of the new roof is my deal. I am not dead set on a roadster. It is just what my uncle who gave it to me was going to do with it. I will probably try to fix the roof myself. I am going to start the car this fall. I dont have a air conditioner in my shop and the weather we are haveing this summer sucks. I am in no hurry with the car. I talked the wife into letting me build a new shop. I am going to try and have it done by this winter.

22. Ford never made a roadster in 1937 so I'd guess the parts would be pretty rare! Fix the coupe, these cars had the coolest looking roofline of the early v-8 cars already anyways!

23. 35cab

35cab

Quote"Ford never made a roadster in 1937"
    Sorry to hi jack this thread and I don't mean to be a smart ass but Ford DID make a Roadster in 37, total production 1,250 ! I will try scanning pic from the Sorensen book"The Open Fords"
    Back on topic, fix it as a coupe.

24. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

25. Bart78

Bart78

I will fix the roof. The hole is about 1 1/2 feet by 1 1/2. I dont think it would be to hard to patch by myself. The roaster idea is just one my uncle had talked about. He said he had seen one once and loved the car.

26. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Ford did make a 37 roadster, it had non removeable winshield post like a cabriolet but had no roll up windows, came with side curtains. Ford listed it as a body type 710 Roadster, 37 Cabbriolets were body type 760-A. If you can, check out the book that Lorin Sorensen did titled "The Open Fords" on page 84 is a Ford released picture with all the information on them. states that world wide production on the Roadster was 1,250.

27. ah yeah they did and guess what, there is such a thing as a '39 roadster too, it was only available in Australia though.

I say do it!

28. Bart78

Bart78

I will see how the roof looks. I have a old chevy ton and a half truck that the roof has prety much the same shape. I was thinking about cutting out the roof on it and seeing how good it would look.

29. yblock292

yblock292

NO, coupes are kool, drove one in high school, wish i still had it!