Register now to get rid of these ads!

did chrylser make a 1960 Chrysler Crown Imperial (Southampton)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelkitbasher, Jul 11, 2011.

1. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

did chrysler make a 1960 Chrysler Crown Imperial (Southampton) with a factory hemi engine.

2. Squablow

Squablow

All of the '60 Imperials had a 413, none were hemi powered.

3. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

so the 413's any good or just average?

4. codeblu

codeblu

I prefer the B/RB Mopar motors myself.383..413..426...440. Love those Wedge motors. Nothing wrong with Hemi's. You can get great power out of a 413....you don't get the "WOW" factor the Hemi has, but still good strong engines.

5. 413's are good the basics of the 426 and 440's hemi production was stopped in late 58 (with 392 whale motors) i believe ,

then of course started up again in 64 with the 426 elephant motors

6. And to answer part 1 of the question, yes they made a Crown Southampton. The Southampton just meant it was a 4 door hard top...

413's are awesome...BTW

7. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

well guys I got a chance to buy a 413 wedge powered 60 chrysler 4 door for $1,000 she said It has the hemi but I havent saw the car yet so I wasnt sure.so thats why I asked I'am not a big mopar man I collect willys and chevy stuff.but thanks for helping me guys so I guess It's a good Investment?she said the spark plug wires go through the valve covers and that the engine was rebuilt In 1973.

8. I loved the 413 I had in my 63 New Yorker. Dual straight pipes + push button trans = more fun than any 16 year old should be allowed to have. :cool:

9. LMS1

LMS1

If the wires are going up through the valve covers I would suspect the motor is a transplanted 392 hemi. At 1000 bucks I'd grab it in a second.

10. murfman

murfman

OR she is mistaken, and it is a 58 Imp...

11. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

yeah I know how the hemis looks.It sounds to me like shes got a car that somebody transplanted the engine Into I can post a pic of the old beast.

12. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Engine pics? Don't leave us Chrysler guys hanging over here! :D

14. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

dont have any engine pics I'am waiting on them man.

15. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

cars a 60 Isnt It?or no?

16. Looks like a '60 Imperial to me! If that has a HEMI in it, someone put it in there, but not the factory. It's possible a dealer might have installed a 392 in it for a discerning customer, of course.

[​IMG]

Let's see some engine pics!!!

17. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

story Is car was boughten by GM exee special ordered car.so who knows

18. Junking a '58, same greenhouse, if you want any of the stainless speak up now. We have some '60 bits too.

In fact, the Hemi would be an easy swap to any of the last body on frame Imperials, the frame is the same right to the end and I think the cowl and windshield is also the same, even though they slowly changed the whole rest of the car over those years. '57-'63 for sure, but I think even the 64-66 cars use the same windshield opening.

19. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

This is, I believe, the same car that has been advertised a few times on the Imperial Club website. Pretty cool story, and I'd pay $1000 for it for sure.

20. i had a one in 1966. crused nice at 100 miles per hour on rt 80 in pa.

21. Yep ...

Ad No.: nnnn
    Subject: 1960 Chrysler Crown Imperial
    City: XXXX- State/Country: XX
    Reply to: XXXX XXXX at [email protected]

I have a 1960 Chrysler Crown Imperial (Southampton, 4 Dr, HT) that is 90%+ complete and requires a full body restoration. I has quite a bit of rust, so is definitely a special project vehicle.

Here is the body plate information:

Shipping Order = 09/01

Production Sequence Number = 0072

Body Style = (924)

4 Door Hardtop Sedan Trim = (524)

PNT = (WHT) Alaskan White

The car was originally purchased by one of General Motors' top executives. In 1973, the car was purchased by Mr. XXXX XXXX (nnnn XXXX XXX, XX, XX nnnnn) from the GM executive, who arranged financing for Mr. XXXX. At the time of purchase, Mr. XXXX stated that the car was in good condition except for some minor fender work that was needed. The last time the car was registered was in 1973. According to Mr. XXXX, the motor was overhauled sometime in 1973. When he originally purchased the car, it had the pushbutton radio that was pedal operated. Originally, the car had a white leather interior with black Mohair carpet. I purchased the car about 4 or 5 years ago from a used car dealer who picked up "estate sale vehicles." This particular car was in an abandoned barn and purchased as part of that estate sale. It is missing the passenger side mirror, one chevron off the front trim, the "crown imperial" side identification lettering, and two letters off the word "imperial" on the trunk. The pushbutton radio is no longer with the vehicle, but the remainder of the car is intact with at least 90% (if not more) of the original features still intact.

Although I love this car and would love to be able to restore it, I do not have the financial resources to do so and would love to see it go to a loving home with somebody intent on restoring it. I have lowered the price to $1,000 firm.

Please feel free to contact me at (nnn) nnn-nnnn or e-mail me at [email protected] for more information. I have pictures I can send to interested buyers.

22. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

23. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

yep same car older gal owns It she sent me pics of the engine now and she now tells me It's a 413 and not a hemi she musta knew all along just trying playing me.said she went to auto mechinics school years ago.so why lie?

24. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

"Origrnally purchased by a GM executive"???
    Why would a GM man by a new Chrysler when he could have a free Caddy?

25. Corporate espionage? ... or maybe he just knew that Chrysler had the superior product! :rolleyes: :D

26. I found that tidbit interesting, as well! ^^^^^

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That 413 is worth the $1000 alone if it runs . The 413 was a great wedge engine and can be made to make tons of power ! I love the Mopar BB and owned many over the years . they were all great running engines . Yes the Hemi can make more power and has that BIG wow factor but if you take a stock 440/6pk and a stock Hemi to the track in the same style car , there will be very little difference between the 2 cars at the end of the 1/4 mile ! The Hemi cost a lot more too so for about the same power the 440 was a huge hit ! A built 413 with a push button trans will put a BIG smile on your face at the end of that 1/4 mile !
    You got a great deal . Would like to see some pictures of the engine and the interior !

Retro Jim

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

"GM exec"...that'd be the Grand Marnier liquor company...

R-

29. Wouldn't that be a hoot if that were the case?

30. Nope - according to the current owner: