Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I chopped it!!! Model A coupe, 5 inches off the top!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Zombie that is super nice, Something about an A chopped down running a 4 banger like that. One day I would love to put something together like that.
    Super sweet.

Doc.

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks Rock! I need to change the gear ratio to drive it to Eagle, otherwise I should probably leave tomorrow to make it by October!!

Thanks Doc, I really appreciate it. I love the feel of the car, it has always felt like this car was supposed to look like this!

(Restorers and purists may disagree, but they're welcome to hand me a pile of cash and do whatever the heck they want with it!)

3. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Well, I'm happy to report progress (finally!) The key is to wake up before the sun and you'll have a few hours of tolerable weather to work in!

The header is done. After all the wood was removed, I used 1"X2" rectangle tubing to create a new header for the windshield hinge to mount to. I also welded studs to mount the windshield hinge. Previously the windshield was screwed into the wood header and was sagging. After seeing the rotted wood, I know why!

[​IMG]

I trimmed the tin that covers the header and tacked it to the visor. Now with everything boxed in it is rock solid and will stay that way for at least another 80 years :D

[​IMG]

Not too incredible of an update, but it's the tedious stuff that must be done! The pillar stubs are bare metal and the roof is ready to go back on. Not much longer and I'll be chopping the garnishes!!

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks for the pic hotrd32 I love shooters car too!!

5. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Nice Skills Buddy!

6. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

More progress today! It was a LONG day in the garage, but in the end I got to drive the coupe! (with no windshield yet, but that's coming soon.)

Here are a few photos of the progress made today.

A pillar pie cut
    [​IMG]

Front of A pillar got a slice as well. I will be enlarging the bottom opening to reinstall the windshield slide stud.
    [​IMG]

After a bit of violence and persuasion roof was tacked on and ready for finish welding.
    [​IMG]

My wife even got into the spirit and tied the seat springs for me!
    [​IMG]

I also installed my super cool chrome side cover. I stumbled across it at a swap meet a few months ago and it's finally time I put the damn thing on!
    [​IMG]

Driveway shot
    [​IMG]

Not much of a windshield opening left!
    [​IMG]

Back in the garage next to my 28 Special coupe. Man, the 28 looks goofy next to it's younger brother!
    [​IMG]

Well, pretty good progress today for sure. All that's left to do is the door tops, which are going to be a pain in the ass since nothing lines up (right now they're just tacked) Remove the skin from the A pillar and weld the front of the pillar and reattach the skin, windshield frame, glass and chop the garnish.

I also plan on having the dash panel and garnishes chromed and I have a rear T spring on it's way to me to help dial in the stance. Oh, and of course drive the ever loving piss out of this poor car!!! :D

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

8. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks buddy!!

9. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

You done good! Hope your back gets better.

10. xadamx

xadamx

Nice progress. I like the rear 3/4 driveway shot and the chopped and unchopped A's in the garage...sweet stance. Maybe I WILL chop my '31...hmmm!

11. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks, it's sore today, but not too bad.

Yeah I like to see them side by side as well!

12. It really looks great. Nice job.

Your wife must do yoga to be able to sit like that, ouch!

13. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Awesome job! Thanks for taking the time to show the detail and hard work involved in a chop. Not just top off, top on pictures, with a grand finale all welded up. I'm getting close to fixing someone's attempted chop on my '29 coupe. This will help!

14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

just looks right.

15. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Subscribed also, keep it up!

16. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Thinking about chopping my sedan 4" inches in the front and 3" in the rear?

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Haha, thanks my back was hurting just watching her sit like that! I don't know how the hell she does it.

No problem, I hope some of my detail shots will help someone chopping or fixing a chop. This is the first Model A I have done so this may not be the "correct" way, just a representation of how I did it. I'll post more photos of the door tops once I figure out how to tackle them. The window channels are WAY off.

I say go for it! After driving it visibility is not too bad with 5 inches out. A slant chop will require more work to the door hinges, and A pillars but if that's the look you want then break out the saw and get cutting!!

18. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Man, that rear 3/4 view just looks wicked! Can't wait to see it with it's new stance! I really dig that you're keepin' the banger in it! Excellent job!

19. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks! The banger is fun, but eventually I'll swap it into my 28 coupe. I have a flathead tucked away in the back of the garage waiting its turn to go in the 30. I am waiting until I get all the parts for a quick and seamless swap, as I can't stand not being able to drive this car!

20. Gotzy

Gotzy

Cool driveway shot and that colour scheme really suits the heavy chop as well! Look forward to seeing more detail shots as you go along, keep up the good work!

21. Thanks for the pictures man, keep coming the progress, chopped with the top roof installed the first I saw...

22. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

It'll be cool with a V-8 flattie, too. Glad you'll be keeping the banger goin' in the '28. Not being able to drive the coupe would drive me nutz too, man! It'll be well worth the wait, though!

23. Love the way you are going with that 'ol girl...very tasty.

24. At first I waa against you chopping it. Now that I see the after math it looks bad ass!!! Keep the progress pics coming.

25. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Haha, thanks. I have been talking about chopping it ever since I bought it and nobody said anything against it. But as soon as I make the first cut people are climbing out of the woodwork to bitch. (Not you, or anyone on HAMB, but friends and family!)

I'm glad you dig it, I was even a bit reluctant but I think it turned out great and it's even more fun to drive now :D

26. what a beautiful ride man.
    I just got to figure out how to get MY wife to get out there and help me out.

27. EPP

EPP
    from Oklahoma

looking great, enjoying your progess. thanks for sharing

28. Yeah it looks great. Im still trying figure out what to do to my 27 t and 30 essex. Hard descisions.... Haha

29. rusthaug

rusthaug

Hello Josh, nice chop, I im thinking of chopping my tudor 5", but I dont know if I got the balls to do it.. But 3-4" is not as cool as your 5" chop, so I think I shall go for it !
    The only thing you miss on the nice 4banger is a pair of cromed 97s..;)

30. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Well, it helps to bribe her with a foot rub or doing the dishes etc!! Her hands fit perfectly between the springs, and helped me out a lot!

Oh man, you're right I am missing the 97's!! I hope they work out well for you. I was originally thinking about a 3 or 4 inch chop, but 5 is just so "right" IMO. Go for it man! It's not too difficult, just time consuming.