Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is old age creeping up on us???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jul 10, 2011.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A buddy of mine decided to have a little fun with a pic of mine. Har har. :D

[​IMG]

2. You'll probably sleep better...

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

You are a very sick dude !,....:D:D:D

4. 2002p51

2002p51

We did exactly that two years ago. My wife and I planned it all out. A two hour cruise with a potty break in the middle. 90% of it on two lane country roads. Ended at a nice lunch place.

Only four cars showed up. Apparently most of the old poops around here prefer spending the day in a folding chair.

5. badlefihand

badlefihand

The old man always said "you aint old till you start pis%ing on your pant leg."Now Im 70 and I think he had something there.

6. Hey... it's hard to sleep when the hemorrhoids are itching!:eek::eek:

7. 1959apache

1959apache

I am 23 and when you old geezers start keeling over I will be there to buy all of your cool cars and other crap (gas pumps etc.). hot rodding is not dead, there are more and more people that I know of around 20-30 now that are picking up the hobby... especially friends of mine that I am talking them into getting an older car.

8. duke182

duke182

way to go!

9. Movinman

Movinman

I see it this way as well down here in Fort Lauderdale. Yes, there are a bunch of older guys that tend to frequent the local Saturday and Sunday car dealership car shows or local cruise nights, but there is also a large group of guys my age (44) and younger, that bring there 20's to 60's hot rods and customs out to places like the Monterey Club where they can check out live music, hot chicks, and have a few beers. These guys aren't attending the local car shows, because they are out living their lives and driving their cars, most of which are daily's. We are blessed with nice weather down here, so that can be done. :D

It seems to me that for the most part, the day guys don't know that the night guys exist, and visa versa. A funny story... we did cruise to a local wings and beer day time car show a couple of years ago, and we were treated like royalty by the car club that hosted the event. It was kinda weird. I guess they figured we stepped out of an old B movie or something. They would deliberately have us win some of the donated ticket number prizes that they called out all afternoon, and they made sure each one of us left with a trophy, to the chagrin of some of the other car owners who had more dough invested in their paint then we had in our entire cars.

10. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Its real easy to figure guys.I heard a quote the other day from a guy trying to explain his rod to a couple of local grey beards.

A street rodder will call himself a hot rodder,but a true hot rodder will never call himself a street rodder.

The fact that he was having to explain his car is why most younger car guys stay away from the older guys.There is always the bunch looking down their noses at what a young guy is doing.Most greybeards cannot accept that the hotrod movement has passed them by.I am building a chopped 51 chevy.The moment I mention the mustang II,custom 2 link rear and air bags I get the same old look and snicker from them.Think Im going back around?I am building a car for ME not the approval of them.I am 39 and kinda stuck in the middle.This is just my opinion and what I have came across.Until the older set opens there mind to other ideas and ways of making cars cool they will continue to see the same people everywhere they go.

11. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

I couldn't agree more that open-mind is what got us fuzz and the show cars of the 70s that didn't run. Stay true to yourself because in a few years my grandson may be calling you the old codger.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I always wondered what your Signature line in Latin meant!:D

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

SLCK64 and CRXGAMES both get it.
    Good to see their side of this, because it's accurate and proof that "our" hobby will live on.
    I'm 46 years old, some days feel older, most days feel younger. Every day feel grateful.

14. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I think you're point basically sums it up and is very well put. I think current cars are unrestorable. With CAN BUS systems you can't even swap electronic components because they have to be programmed into the system as I've just found out to my cost with my 05 GM. Pre-30s stuff requires very highly skilled engineering, and is pretty undrivable even when functioning well.
    I'm 43 yet the cars I drove on my youth were 70s and 80s European and Japanese junk because I couldn't afford anything better. I think people will always want 32 Fords.

15. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

At the Rocky Mtn Nats in Pueblo a good friend stated "welcome to NSRA sponserd by AARP" Seemed appropriate as the folks do appear older every year. However, I do see a younger crowd at many events like the Golden cruise nights & smaller shows.
    Myself & many friends try to encourage the kids to climb in & try out our cars, even ask them if they want to take it for a drive, that gets a good response.

16. Now that's funny right there!
    Confucius say: He who goes to bed with itchy hemorrhoids wake up with "stinky fingers"!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  17. SHUT UP.......We don't want them to know....they might be buried with the stuff....;)

18. hemibird43

hemibird43

this has been a great read,some of you guys crack me up,yep life is like a roll of toilet paper,the closer it gets to the end the faster it spins by.

when i was younger happy hour was a good drink and some food, now happy hour is a NAP!!

19. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Maybe this poem about getting older will help.

"CRAP I FORGOT THE WORD'S"

20. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I panicked as i thought i had a grey pubic hair until i pissed through it and got a haircut growing out my ears!! For christ sake i'm only 44!!! My cars older than i am:eek:

21. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

err, have people forgot to look at all the posts on the site showing rat rod
    runs or runs with both rat or unfinished cars. They're being driven by a lot
    of young guys who are also dressing like guys from the 50's , along with
    rock-a-billy bands( young guys) and the young chicks, pinup or otherwise.
    BTW, I'm an old guy who also thought we were endangered until they came along.

22. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

BTW, " don't grow up, there's no future in it." Just keep acting like a nut,
    or young carnut and you'll feel like you're 18 everytime you get into your
    car.......except when you try to squirm out of it,( tradeoff).
    Happy Motoring!

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At most events we attend it seems the crowd is indeed the older folks. Most have been hot rodders for many years and still enjoy it. I do see some younger folks with very nice cars as well. At 68, I don't go to as many events as in the past (especially big events)but still enjoy building the cars and taking them out for a spin or using them for daily errands to hardware store, grocery store,etc. The last 3 I finished I said every one was the last one ( did 3 this year -40 woodie,40 coupe and 40 delivery) Will take a month or so break and I'm sure I'll start another one--keeps me occupied and something to do instead of watching TV or other stuff. Would hate to just sit around all day with nothing to do but yard work.

24. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Well Im 18 and I know that I am NOT getting out of this hobby anytime soon, Although I would also consider it an addiction. Old stuff is the only thing I will drive! I restored my first truck with the help of my dad when I was 15. I'd post pics but its not HAMB friendly because its a 72'GMC. Im workin on a 55' GMC right now and I am having a blast with it. When I was in highschool my friends and I all drove old trucks, we had our corner with all our cool cars and the rest of the parking lot was full of those tin cans. Im always looking for old rusty stuff when Im out in the woods...In fact I found a door that looks like its off an old ford coupe or something that I need to go get...

25. Thumper

Thumper

Old age didn't come creepin around here....it kicked the fuckin door open....reminds me of what my Dad used to tell me......dammit.....hang on a minute I gotta go piss.....

26. I'll be the old geezer whistlin at your daughter while dragging his Moon oxygen tank--It's all about bucks and parts--when both are hard to come by the cheap new crap is the low hanging fruit. Also--most guys in my age group (30's) I know seem to think that if it can't be run by computer it must be antiquated crap. Sad

27. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmmm....I've outlived the usefulness of my dick (RIP), so everything else is immaterial.:(:eek::rolleyes:

HellRaiser

28. k9racer

k9racer

Back to the top just in case the thread goes 12 or so pages. We might fall asleep before we can read it.. Thank You.. Bobby..

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm still trying to figure out why they started letting all these old people go to my class reunions ! :eek:

Don

[​IMG]

30. sololobo

sololobo

Kickin the doors off 70, I understand the age issues, I am very blessed to have a great bunch of bros in my c.c. who help me keep my heap going. I will have the pedal to the metal untill the big trumpet call is heard. We do our best at events to involve the younger set, at the H.A.M.B. drags Xderelict was letting kids set in his modified and the kids were blissed. Also Rob Lee was giving rides in the Hot Rod Lincoln that were visibly changing peoples lifes. I see a real resurgence in trad rodding and this forum is the #1 factor in that issue. Viva La Hamb! Yeah kids, Grandpa still likes to rock! ~sololobo~