Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks Chapter Three...Serious Bidness...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

If you've seen any of my jibber jabber before, you'll know my dad is my inspiration for my pickup. My truck is a tribute to his, an homage if you will. This is his in '59.
    [​IMG]

And this is me 52 years later...
    [​IMG]

This is another bit of inspiration (thanks Weezy!)...
    [​IMG]

And this really sparked the idea for the color combo (thanks to jj)...
    [​IMG]

So after months of chroming engine parts, its finally time to get down with the get down.

After the Heavy Rebel show last week, we got my truck in the shop an began preparations for the engine swap. We pulled the front doghouse off and got the engine pulled on Wednesday.

Then I began filling the numerous holes somebody drilled in the firewall. Some looked like they were punched with a crow bar, lol. The firewall is now done and ready for a little bondo before paint. Please keep in mind that when we started this, I had well over two hours of welding experience. But with the tutelage of Jeremy and Del, I am getting better. I am thoroughly still a hack though, lol.

My bud Jeremy James convinced me that to fix everything right we might as well take the cab off the frame. So we did. I had some areas on the cab behind the fenders that needed patching. I'm working on that now. Probably got another day left to finish that up.

Jeremy has been working on my floors. Somebody had taken the time to cut out the rust in the floors but then welded larger repop patch panels OVER the holes instead of cutting them to fit the holes. There's about 50 spot welds on each floor panel, lol. That should be remedied soon.

I had another buddy, Tommy come pressure wash all the decades of grease and grime off the frame. In the very near future (days) I'll be wire wheeling the frame from the front to the bed. Once that's done, we'll mock up the engine (we have an extra so as not to dirty up pinkie). Once the engine mounts and trans mounts are squared away, everything will get a nice coating of POR15. Then the engine will go in for the final time.

It sounds like a lot of work, but its going quickly. Should be just a matter of two or three weeks before the engine is in. The truck was running and driving a week ago.

Empty frame. Steve McQueen said in Le Mans that "racing is living. anything before or after is just waiting." Well this frame is just waiting, lol.
    [​IMG]

Here's the cab up on it's throne. The firewall is all smoothed and we're repairing some rust and the floors.
    [​IMG]

These are the tools of the trade of a maniac on a mission.
    [​IMG]

Here's an artsy shot my bud Jeffy James took of my engine on display in the back of my pickup at the Heavy Rebel show. This was July 2nd, we pulled the engine July 6th. I LOVE this pic, I'm getting it blown up and framed to hang in my living room!
    [​IMG]

I have to mention that I could not do any of this without the help, encouragement, and advice of my friends and fellow Iron Lords. I was really apprehensive on tackling a job this large. But I am learning from some very talented PROS and enjoying every second. Call me biased, but my club is definitely the best group of guys in the universe. We're all doing really exciting things with our cars and we all seem to boost each other by doing so. I just can't say enough how much I love these guys and how much I love being an Iron Lords member. We are living the dream!

Once all this mess is cleaned up and the engine is in and running, I'll move on to the rest of the body work. That'll be another chapter, but I have another set of good doors and bed parts. I'll do the doors first then pull the bed. When the bed is off, I'll do the same clean/POR treatment on the rear of the frame. There will be some more mild custom mods to come. Then, eventually shiny dark purple paint with plenty of pearl tossed in the mix. But I'm getting ahead of myself, lol.

2. keep it there brother...won't be long now.

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That engine is rad!

4. badshifter

badshifter

Alright, looks good but what are THESE tools for you maniac????
    Planning some authentic desert find patina???;)

Attached Files:

5. slammed

slammed

You have some great writing/story telling skills to go with the build. That quote: "time to get down with the get down" is classic.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn it Terd, I just cleaned that fucking work bench for Mr.Redtop!!!!

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and I have another example of Purple exterior and a pink and white interior in the form of a '49 Chevy Convert. It's in a little book that I have and even though the article is in B&G, just knowing that you're on the right track should sit well in your belly.

Lastly, you know how I know that "heater" is yours and not Del's? It's got a holster around it :D

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I know, I can't wait. Thanks!

Thanks! It is tentatively named Pinkie Tuscadero.

"A lot of holes in the desert, and a lot of problems buried in those holes. But you gotta do it right. I mean, you gotta have the hole already dug before you show up with a package in the trunk. Otherwise you're talking about thirty to forty five minutes worth of digging. And who knows who's gonna come along in that time. Pretty soon you gotta dig a few more holes. You could be there all fuckin' night." - Nicky Santoro.

That's my buddy and constant companion, glockie. Here's a new and exciting game...any time anyone posts pictures of Iron Lords, try to spot the heaters.

Haha, thanks. that's just the way we talk down here in the South. Its on like a pot of neckbones. And et cetera.

I'll have it all cleaned off again before shop night. I've been concentrating on keeping the floor clean to keep boobie happy!:D

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I had no idea you were building this. Caddy in a chevy truck? Effing awesome.

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Seriously, I'm like a giggly school girl every time I come in the shop and see this pile. I can barely contain my excitement. I can't wait for tomorrow so I can get that much closer. And because I get better looking every day.

Dude, I was driving this last week, haha. The engine has been coming together since late last year. My ultimate goal is a mild custom truck. But mild is a relative term. It will be towards the radical side of mild custom, lol. Just no chop or sectioning. I've been thinking about a big back window swap and a one inch chop though. I am a sucker for a chop that doesn't look chopped and my own worst enemy, lol.

11. are you guys still doing the open shop Wed. night thing? Oldsmobucket & I have talked about coming up to see how the Iron Lords get down.

12. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Shit balls that thing is gonna be bitchin!

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

EVERY Wednesday. Come on up. We always have a good time!

Thanks Taylor! I'm trying hard. You're doing solid work too! Keep it up!

14. R.Brown

R.Brown
    from houston

This is going to be SWEET!

15. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Keep diggin bro it is coming along great.I did not do the holes in the firewall or the hack floor job.It was like that when I got it.Sorry

16. Duuuude, this thing just keeps getting better!!!
    I love the direction your headed and your excitement for the build.
    I'm enjoying the ride - thanks for sharing

17. Thats a Steve Stanford drawing you posted, not Weesner.

18. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

19. This is coming along real sweet - I love everything about the build and looking forward to more progress. I was wondering about the engine in your truck at the Heavy Rebel show - I'm now subscribed or am I dialed?

20. Hey Terd, That is a killer looking engine. The firewall in my old truck must have been similar to yours. I welded up 167 holes. I also took out the piece where the upper and lower firewall came together. It sure cleaned up the firewall. I could not tell from your picture if you did that or not. Where the steering column came through the firewall in my truck looked like it had been sculptured with an axe. Fun ain't it. GOOD LUCK and keepup the good work.
    Later,
    Dick

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Yeah, I think so too. Thanks!

I know, I know. That's just the trials and tirbulations of an old truck. Its not that the repair isn't "functional". cuz it kind of is. I just need better aesthetics for shiny paint on the firewall.

You're welcome! And thanks to you as well. I appreciate the kind words!

I'm aware, but Weesner posted it on a previous thread of mine as inspiration for the paint job. So to set everything straight, thanks to Sanford for a sweet piece of art. Love the buick hoops and the seats! And thanks to Weesner for bringing it to my attention! ;)

A man of few words. I like that. Thanks!

You are dialed and subscribed! Thanks a ton!

Pretty typical for old trucks. We are cutting the front of the floors out from the ridge under the seat in the rear to the toeboard where it angles up. If you have seen the front floorboard patch panels from LMC and the like, we're basically doiong that. And thanks!!!

22. squirrel

squirrel

looking good! I guess I got lucky on my trucks, floors are mostly in good shape. But I've seen some that were really hacked up.

Pics, keep the pics coming. even if it slows down work for a few minutes

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Go man go! you are going to love the power from the caddy, my 40 is way more fun now with the cad, I am sure your truck will be fun to drive too!!!!

24. weez

weez

Wow, that engine is looking sweet! Best pink Caddy I've seen!

That Stanford piece is hanging in my studio, to keep the chrome and paint reflection gods beaming inspiration to me...

25. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

You know what that engine makes me think?

"Ooooooooooooowh..." (...in the voice of a lustful Beavis.)

26. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I can bring an angle grinder and a wire wheel tomorrow night if you want to get rockin on that frame.

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Says the guy from Arizona, lolz. I WISH we had the lack of rust here like you guys do from your climate!! I'm going to hit it hard tomorrow night and I'll get some more pics. Thanks squirrel!

I can't wait to see what that thing does!! The 261 its replacing was pretty torquey, but not like cadillac torquey! :D

Thanks a bunch! That means a lot! I am totally going to copy the upholstery from the Stanford print. A lot like Moriarity's seats in his vette, but a bench and with some color in the piping.

Settle down Beavis.

I'll take all the help I can get, haha! I got some more of the lower front cab corners patched this morning before it got too hot. I've got two small holes left to patch underneath and inside near the steps. I should have those done tonight or tomorrow morning.

29. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

ok, we will get it knocked out.

30. Big Nick

Big Nick

Sick! and I love the nail polish