Register now to get rid of these ads!

Land Speed Racing Maine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seaweed, Jul 8, 2011.

1. seaweed

seaweed

Looking for someone to share driving and a room for this year's Land Speed event in Limestone Maine. July 15 -18th. I have reservations for a two bed room (and floor) at the Caribou Inn in Caribou. It's the best place to stay and has a restaurant and bar.

Leaving Cape Cod Mass. early Friday July 15, returning Monday July 18th Traveling Rt 3 to Boston then on to Maine. Willing to go off route a reasonable distance to pick a passenger. Travel distance for me approx. 435 miles each way.

We will probably be working as volunteers during the racing events Saturday and Sunday.The fun of this event is to be part of it. I believe last year's records were 273 mph for bikes and 218 for cars. This is the 3rd year for this event and it just keeps getting better. Time is running out, so don't wait to reply if you are interested.

2. aircap

aircap

Checked over on landracing.com ?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope someone that goes posts photos, have fun!

4. seaweed

seaweed

The room and ride have been taken. Hope to see some HAMBers there. We are hoping that someone will crack 300 mph. The moose is loose! See you there.

5. See you there..we have the belly tank (Ron's Hobby Shop)...and Bob, I will take lots of pictures....

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

Team 608 from NJ is coming with the AA/GL. We are putting the gear in to run 275.

We are bringing more gears if we need them.:D

We don't think a bike should be the fastest vehicle this year.

Frank

7. 55chevr

55chevr

Frank ... 275 in a mile and half is a ton ... hope to see it this weekend ... I will be running motorcycle tech line ... stop by a say hello ... Steve Van Blarcom is running car tech line ... weather forecast is good for the weekend.

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

We ran, I'm pretty sure about this, a 238 at maxton in the mile 2 or 3 years ago with a different version of the same basic car.

We have been 296, 297, 298+ at the Salt with the right gears.

We're testing the new car for The Salt, a lot of upgrades to the aero. We need to make sure all the mechanicals are good before we head to UT.

This year we need 311+ for a record in AA/GL. I'll really be fine with anything over 300 because we will then be the first gas lakester over 3 with CARBURATORS. The other two cars that have been over 3 are EFI.

We think the ashphalt traction will get us up there to 275. We got slicks for this trip:D. And we put the big chutes on, too.:D

I can't wait for Friday to be on the way.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure would be nice to see a PHOTO of this rig and some info on the engine. Good luck in Maine and on the Salt! Bob:D

10. gas pumper

gas pumper

There's some construction photos on my album page here on the HAMB.
    Finished pictures have to wait til Maine cause we are still hanging the body panels for the last time. Kinda looks like a big fish. Wait til you see the cool nose art the sign guy did.

It's 30 ft long, 582 BBC, runs gas and Holley carbs, 2 really big 4 barrels. Was dynoded this spring at 1147HP. We just put a vac pump on the sump that's supposed to add a few more and if the air intake does what we figure there another 50 there. This is built like a pro-stock engine. 8300 chip, but max HP is around 7500. We run a really huge Quick change. And a 4 speed G-Force trans.

We fired it Sunday to check systems and made a few tweaks. The engine builder came by today and ran it about 1/2 hour. He's says it's ready.

We're finishing the body tomorrow, getting on the ground, adjust the wheel weight and set the ride height. Pack the trailer Thursday.

By the way, the car is built and owned by Bob Dauernheim. An ex drag racer from the past, among other credits, he used to be the builder and operator of the Van Iderstine fuel dragsters. He's been building race cars all his life. This car is mechanically designed and built by Bob.

Rob Ida from Ida Automotive did the body design and built the body.

I'm just a helper and am honored to work along with this man. I've been doing plumbing, electrical and final fitting and adjusting. And trying to stuff 15 lbs into a 5 lb bag.

Frank

11. Stop in at Millinocket Maine...off 95 and drive 12 miles..check the Pelletier's out..( American Loggers)...great food and beer...PRR is a buck fifty...Limestone is like a dessert...I'll be at Sunday River for the Sport Rallies..I'll be home Sunday night!

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Frank, please send me some pics of that bad boy, when you get them!

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

I think somebody should show up at the air strip with a camera.

I'm gonna take one, but I have not been succesful posting pics the last couple of months. And the last two weeks have been a thrash, finishing and assembling this in basically a two car garage. In a secure camera free environment :) some where in the woodlands of NJ.

This picture is spring of 2010 at Ida's shop where the body upper pieces were being done. It's the latest pic I have. There is an album of body fabrication pictures at Rob Ida's web site. Called Rob Ida's Concepts I think. http://gallery.me.com/robida#100544

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  14. Marcia

Marcia

Gas pumper, What was your fastest time?
    Will you be back in September?

Attached Files:

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

We went thru the trap at 240 on the first run where we were supposed to run a 220. And the driver wasn't really pushing because we wanted him to try the steering and concentrate on what the car is doing. The race director was a little mad that we went faster than he wanted.
    But Our driver didn't know where the trap was so he kept accelerating til the tach had the right number:eek: and the computerdata shit didn't record. So we don't really know how fast or how far down the range he went.

The driver said the car never accelerated like that before. He likes the ashphalt. Our driver sits on the floor pan and his head is about 2 feet off the ground. So his visibility of the course markers was not too good. And from his position it was even hard to tell where the turnoffs were.

The second run looked better on acceleration, cause this was the go for it run. But he mis read the markers and pulled the chutes way early and coasted thru the traps at maybe 140. Not sure because the timing stuff was not right after the car before us blew up something and the cleanup disturbed the timing (I don't know, that's what they told us). And our data shit still didn't record. The pictures taken by the track photo guy with the chutes out at the finish line look real good. Picture perfect sales tool for the chutes:D

So Saturday evening, we decided we had enough fun, and before Don (driver) got into any more trouble with the race director, we put the car away. Our car owner has talked to the Loring staff about the sight lines and such. I think that the issues we had can be addressed and make it safer for us and other fast cars.

When we come back from Bonneville. Normally the car gets taken apart right away. To start on next years plan. Maybe this year if we have some modifications that we can test in Sept, we could make it back up there. But that's if mechanically we don't do any damage in UT.

I'd like to get back up there, too. It was a nice weekend. Great facility. VERY interested fans. And fans are what's going to make Loring different than the other LSR venues.

Anyways, thanks for asking. Sorry for the long story, but you asked! and here's a picture of the car at the finish line on the first run. The track photo guy did a great job. Photo credit to http://dwphotosonline.com/

Frank

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  16. Marcia

Marcia

Thanks, details are what I wanted. The finish line and the turn offs are hard to see but they are going to remedy that. Why limit you to 220? Seems like an odd number.
    The 608 is a beautiful car. How fast would you want to go with 1 mile to stop?
    I'm not going to Bonneville so I'll see you in september.
    Marcia

17. gas pumper

gas pumper

Marcia,
    Thanks for your interest, I'm glad to share this with you. Our gang here in NJ keeps a low profile, not much gets out to the internet.

My second hand info, from the crewing side. The race director and the driver compromised on "around 220" because Don is fearless and wanted to just put the hammer down and the race director wanted caution and get one pass down the track safely to see how everything went.
    We (crew) wanted a shakedown to make sure all the systems are working, the car goes where you aim it, it shifts and does all the things a car should do, including stopping.

We were set with gearing for 280. And we figured 275 would be OK. Now if we take the ballast out??? We could get moving up there.

Stopping was not a problem. We run large rear brakes and with the wide slicks we run up there he was able to stop way before the end (even after overrunning the finish line). And we anticipated high speeds and a short stopping distance, We changed the Bonneville style chutes out for drag racing style chutes. The photos of them out and the results of getting the car stopped were good.

We also didn't like that we held up the event with the car stopping on the track. the issue of popping the chute and being too fast for the first turn and dying on the track before the last turn we think we can solve by sending a chase car down to the end before we run and be right there to pick up the chutes and push the car off the runway

For good PR, we should say we would like to get up there where Bill Warner is. Wouldn't that be something to see in Sept? King of the Hill, will it be a bike or a car?

Cubic inches and carburators Vs turbos and electronics.

But I'm just a helper here. The big decisions are made by others.

Frank

18. Marcia

Marcia

I would LOVE to see a car put down the fastest time at Loring. That would be someting to see.
    We have parked a tow vehicle at the end of the track before the run if we have a big enough crew. I think people would line up for the honor of towing your car back to the pits. I would.