Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

I've gotten big smiles and thumbs up, but never been flashed.

I'm gonna have to drive in better (or would that be worse?) places.

2. erlomd

erlomd

Ahhh...I think he was Trying to bother you...sounds like you should have smoked his little OT ass:eek:

3. eric

eric

Just went to pick up a pile of dirt at a lawn supply yard. Guy asks alright, where's your truck, I say the blue one, the other counter guy says "you want to pick up dirt in that!??" I say yeah! It's a work truck!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I had a 57 chevy 2 dr ht and my wife noticed that several different times when a couple would be looking at it the men would look at the back seat and the women would look at the headliner. Had one women tell us she did it the first time in the back seat of one just like it then it dawned on us why the people were looking at the car that way

5. I drive my (OT, sorry!) Blues Brothers themed 74 Dodge Monaco as a daily driver all day every day, rain or shine, and since I work for a contractor to the US Navy I get to walk around on ships over at the Navy base to do piping & machinery design work for their overhauls & repairs. One HOT & HUMID August afternoon I was trudging back to the car that seemed to be parked two miles away in the blacktop lot with my backpack full of drawings and vendor catalogs, sweat is pouring down my face and my back... I'm hot & tired, and all of the sudden I see a small piece of paper tucked under my windshield wiper. I'm thinking "DAMMIT! It's hot, I'm TIRED, and now some dumb ass has hit my car and left a note, probably with a fake phone number..." And as I flip the paper over it just says "YOUR CAR ROCKS!!!"

I've gotten thumbs up and smiles from the local cops, and even the "serious as a heart attack" Marines that guard the gates at the Navy base will sometimes wink and smile as they wave me through...

6. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Winner.

7. Picking up my daughter from school in my '57 Ranchero (primer black with pinstripe flames) I heard some kids shout "Look at the car with flames! Cool!!" My daughter heard them too and just smiled as she got in.

Another time I was giving a girl a ride in the Ranchero and when I shifted into 2nd (three on the tree) she asked "What the heck did you just do???"

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I first bought my 61 Dodge and started driving it to work one of the older guys told me "You know, these were not this odd looking when they were new"

9. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

My 34 coupe always starts some good conversations, one of the best was at a small show, an older lady comes up & asks if that car has a rumble seat? Hmmm?
    Another time while blasting across the prarie on I-80 and passing a long line of cars, I pull into the next gas stop. Another older lady pulls in a bit later comes up & asks
    "What makes that old car go so fast?"

10. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Top two comments I get on my car:

#2 Cool its got the Ol'straight 8 those where smooth running motors and pretty quick with a manual trans...

#1 And I've been told this by two older gents in there 50's "These old Buicks have alot of room in the back seats, I use to screw my girlfriend in the back of mine all the time back in the day..."

11. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Kinda ot, but I have a rockcrawler with 38inch sx tires...... I was at a small local car show (83/beardsly) and a guy asked if they are "snow tires"

12. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Well, since we've strayed into OT stuff........ I've been driving my '88 C1500 to work lately. It has a 4/6 drop, painted flat black by the PO, with light gray steel truck rally wheels, Baby Moons and trim rings. I pulled up to the gate the other night, the guard took my security badge and then I thought he said "Your truck sure is dirty." I laughed at first because it had bugs plastered all over the front and it's pretty rough but then he stepped back and kept looking over the truck smiling and nodding his approval. He had actually said it was purty, he was an older (than me :rolleyes:) guy and I think the caps and rings took him back to his younger years. That was a pretty cool way to start my night.

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

A few years ago I had the 406 car out, and at the time it had the 14:1 427 in it, .660 Delong cam, Milodon gear drive, cross-ram with two 650's, and the 3" exhaust with straight-thru truck resonators- it ain't real silent, and with a solid left engine mount, the whole car shakes at idle. So I'm stopped at a red light coming into town, and a Rabbit convertible pulls up behind me. After a few seconds, this incredible chick jumps out, perfect Farah Fawcett racehorse legs in very short side-slit shorts, short tank top, great tan, and comes up and starts waving her arms and yelling at me- "DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S FAIR TO SUBJECT OTHER PEOPLE TO THE NOISE OF THIS CAR???" She was so mad she never noticed that "The Girls" had escaped from her skimpy top and were helping give me hell...
    Speechless, I was :eek:

[​IMG]

14. piratestagehand

piratestagehand
    from Sparta, NJ

I was at a fourway stop and a guy in a box truck was turning and almost ran off the road as he was coming by me. He was hanging out of the window yelling "whoa" . I love my 1950 Styleline.

15. The only really nice HAMB friendly ride Ive had is my old 61 Lincoln convertible. I got the comments every time I was out in that car. Sometimes it was almost scary the way people drive around you trying to check it out.

The best comment was from my sister in law. She was over at the house and we were going to run some errands and take the Lincoln so she decided to tag along. When we got back to the house she said she felt like she was riding around in a fish bowl with all the people checking out the car while we were driving around.

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You win.

17. skyrodder

skyrodder

people ask me what year my Mercury is... I drive a 54 chevy

18. Yep but she kinda knew about it because my friend was behind in his daily and spilled the beans on what he saw... he just didn't tell her it was me getting an eye full!:eek:

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I'm driving my then primered 34 3 window coupe down the road, and in the opposite lane are a lot of cars travelling slowly. One guy leans out his window and gives me the "I'm not worthy" gesture.

Another good reaction was when I pulled into a car meet full of street rods with my primered coupe - and from a distance watched the crowd grow around it as no one paid attention to all those shiny street rods:D

20. BELLM

BELLM

Few weeks ago I was at a small local show, friend next to me was wiping down his car and putting his "Look but do not touch" sign on his car when a guy came up with his grandson, kid about 3 or 4. Kid was interested in my car so I opened the door and told him to get in. Grandpa put him in, he was grinning big time, turning the steering wheel. grandpa got ready to go kid didn't want to get out, cried. They later came back with grandma and baby sister. They posed the kids in front of my car and took their picture. Ultimate compliment to me for a kid to like my car.

21. ken bogren

ken bogren

Here's part of what I posted on another forum today, car in question in the quote is a 63 Falcon convertible:

It interests me that the responses to my two oldies are so different. Kids almost never react to the 61 F100 in my avatar, but very often comment favorably on the 63 Falcon. Adults most often comment on the truck.

22. desotot

desotot

I pull up to a crosswalk and some lady crosses with her lttle kid and the kid looks over and yells ,look mommy, a hotwheel.
    [​IMG]

23. Thought of three other stories tonight.

Another one involving my O.T. '69 Firebird. I was driving down main street in my town with a buddy when this guy jaywalks out in front of me and stands in the middle of the lane waving at me till I stopped. He walks around and leans down to look at me and says "I guess you don't care about the environment. I sure hope there's some oxygen left for my kids when they grow up." (no shit!) He points at his wife and kids standing on the sidewalk. I shrug, not exactly sure what to say, and stay stopped on the street until he's safely back on the sidewalk with his family. As soon as he's on the sidewalk, I look at my buddy, put one foot on the brake and get into it. Figured he already thought I was an asshole, so I decided to give him a little more smoke to complain about.

Picked up my kid sister and her friend from school one night after music practice - again in the Firebird. Stopped on the freshly paved entrance to the parking lot, looked at my sisters friend in the backseat, smiled, and lit them up. She'd never been in a classic car, she'd never seen a burnout, and her mom musta knew something was up when I dropped her off with a grin plastered on her face... Word got back to my folks about that one... :s

Final quick story. I live in a small farming town. Whenever it's nice out, I either roll the truck out into the driveway or have both garage doors open while I work. My mom never fails to get comments while she's grocery shopping: "I saw your sons truck, it looks good", "what's he doing on the truck now?" "how's the hot rod coming?" etc. It's a pretty good feeling. :)

24. mustangdug

mustangdug

Was at a 4th event and had my 29 coupe out at a booth and guy says "thats the coolest 32 T bucket I've ever seen! Is that a 350 Chevy in it?" It's got a Blown 460 Ford.....

25. modeleh

modeleh

I had my cousin and his family over for a BBQ a few weeks ago, and his 5 year old daughter got her foot stepped on by my overly friendly and clumsy hound dog. She was crying, so my cousin picked her up to console her, and me not being good with kids, I suggest she go and check out my old Model AA stake truck, so my cousin puts her behind the wheel and the tears are gone immediately now as she yanks the steering wheel back and forth. Then she says "It smells like old stinky socks in here" :D

26. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

i was kind shocked:eek: when my crusty 66 valiant won student choice award at my highschool car show and there were alot nice cars there at that point there was not a thing done to the car other then replacing 2 of the 4 dry rotton tire it was basicly and still is pritty much the way i got it from the po i keep on buging my auto teacher that they screwed up on the award its supose to say the rustest car there :D

Attached Files:

vtx1800 likes this.
  27. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I had a 76 LUV with a 400 sbc that still had the 4.11 gears in it for a month or so after engine was installed. I asked my wife to run to the parts store for me so she piled her 4ft 9inch 82# self behind the wheel and took off. She could just reach the gas pedal with the tip of her toe so the launch procedure was to roll smoke off the tires till the speed of the truck was past the wheel spinning point. The small towns police station is just three doors down from my old shop location and the chief, an active member in the local church and of which my wife is also, was talking to someone in a car and had his back to the street. As he spun around to "bust" the flagrant offender his mouth hung open and his whole look was priceless. No ticket but lots of laughs.

28. Good Reaction: Go to a friends house to pick up a chopper frame I just bought from him. His 9 year old son sees the truck go by and I hear him yell at the top of his voice, "Hey daddy look LOOK, it's cool!" When I back into the driveway in front of him his jaw drops. As his dad and I load the chop he walks around and around the truck. When we're done I jump down and open the door and take the key out and told him to jump in it's okay. That kid acted like I had just handed him a million dollars. He jumped in and made motor noises and twisted the steering wheel till I left.

Better Reaction: Sitting in the truck with my nephew at the super market about to fire up and leave. A couple in their late 50's early 60's pull up and park beside us in their Prius and stare all the way into the store with a look of utter disgust.

Best Reaction: Going anywhere with my boy it's always and without fail, "Hey Unk, lets take the old truck."

Oh and I get "hey, there's Mater" at least once a week even though it's a '55 F-100 and looks nothing like Mater, (well, septen fur the rust an the dents.)

29. A few years ago when I got my finished, painted, chromed up '36
    Ford first on the road I headed to Brugger's Bagels for Sunday morning breakfast.
    I pull in, car is rocking and shaking the windows with it's too big cam and I'm feeling good.
    I go in and wait in line to place my order for my usual sesame with cream cheese and xtra cream coffee.
    2 young kids park the old Schwinn's out side and follow me in. I hear one say to the other while standing behind me..
    "Hey, did you see that old jalopy parked outside?"
    The other replys .....
    "I think that flivver is a Jaguar, see the cat like animal (Greyhound) on the top of the hood?"
    I was trying to stifle my laughter so much that my shoulders were rocking like the too big cam.
    Fuckin' ego killers!

30. Another quickie. My wife and I are parked at Riley's Roast Beef one Saturday night with our '36.
    It contained a retina searing red crushed velor interior. ( very 70's , truly tasteless.)
    Two very old ladies walk up to it and look inside it. One of them with elbows parked on the window sill looks at it for the longest stretch with glazed over eyes and after about a full minute turns and says to her pal..........
    "Oh how I used to love the feel of mohair cloth against my naked back side."
    I'm crying on the ground now!

Attached Files: