Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ant Investation...it ain't funny! Why are you laughing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jul 11, 2011.

1. :mad: Hadn't driven the ol' '61 in about a week. Went out early this morning and pulled off the cover, and what did I see but ants everywhere. They had taken up residence under the tailfin molding and in one of the door pockets.

Dunno what to do other than use that household product Terro.

What a mess.

It ain't funny...:eek: Well, maybe just a little. I've heard of working out the bugs in a car, but this is ridiculous.

2. "Ant InVESTation"

That IS funny!! You're investing in Ants.

We have the little buggers all over our kitchen.

3. Ooops, unintentional misspelling error, but that is descriptive. They aren't investors as far as I know. But if each dropped off a dime, I'd be rich. Those suckers are everywhere.

4. Yes I had the same problem I just took out the windshield in my 53 Ford cause the rubber was cracked and out came tons of small ants and there eggs. I guess they will move into anything!

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

man i know that aint funny.them little shits cost us 3500.00 for a new pool liner last year.if they eat a hole in this one im gonna fill it in with hondas and toyotos.!!!

6. rodhot

rodhot

I had ant problems in the garage and didn't have anything to spray on them, but had a bottle of simple green and tried it. Stopped them in their tracks instantly. Now that is all I use. They don't like it at all. Won't damage the paint of pets.

7. Just tried that. Holy smokes! We're talking dead like graveyard dead right now. Thanks!

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You paint your pets? What do you use?

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

So it won't bleach my Rottweilers or turn my tan cat green? Cool!

10. "won't damage the paint of pets"

Are we talking lacquer or enamel? (damn, I was too late)

11. I keep a few open boxes of open mothballs in the corners of the garage. Keeps most of the creepy crawlies out without making the car stink.

12. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

try some sugar mixed in with dry borax

13. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

There are bombs you can set off in your car.
    these insect bombs are made for house hold use, but would work in a closed car as well.
    You would merely place one on a piece of paper, or other shield to keep residue from damaging your interior. I use a unfolded section of newspaper.
    Set the bomb off, wiat for the reccomended time, then openm and ler it air out.
    Simple, and effective.
    There are aerosol sprays that work to some degree.
    Terro works, but takes some time for the bait to get to the queen ant. The queen is what you must eliminate.

14. A woman in the middle of it causing of all this mess. Somehow I should have known....

And in that colony somewhere there's a hardworkin' pissant, just tired of her stuff, too.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Just take a garden hose too them and wash'em off! They'll drown.... And then haunt you while your sleepin' ;)

16. They don't like ordinary degreaser in a can either........it's the first thing I grabbed when I discovered a big bunch of those little suckers in my cave.

17. rodhot

rodhot

Of course, use them as test panels. Doesn't everybody. I know my spelling sucks. What I don't have in brains I don't make up for in looks. Hehehe.

18. FYI: Enough carb cleaner will kill anything.

19. silversink

silversink

they do work--went to the store a couple of years ago and bought a couple for the house. To make a long story short , it was 90 degrees out and I left them in the car while I went to the parts store,BLAM--couldn't get back in the car for an hour--both those bombs went off and killed every bug in that old car, sure glad it didn't happen while driving.

20. Terry O

Terry O

21. I had that happen in my 68 Chevelle;left a can of battery cleaner on the middle of the front seat in hot weather.Came out after work and noticed a film on my windshield,then noticed the dent in my dashboard under the radio.Damn can had blown out the bottom of the can and the thing must have acted like a rocket inside the car;that crap was EVERYWHERE!

As for the ant problem;we had them in our kitchen.Sprayed all around the foundation with Terro and use regular spray bleach to nail them inside.Two things seem to attract them:sugar substances and fresh cut flowers.Always make sure to clean up any spilled sweet stuff thoroughly(they lock on to the most minute remnant)and ditch the flowers.Roses seem to be OK but others seem to breed them.

22. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

That's good to know. Nobody comes anywhere near my property since I put a coat of high gloss on my pitbull. :D

As to the ant problem, I'd simply move the car out into the sunshine for a day or two... I doubt the little pests would want to stick around once their new home reaches a balmy 150*

And the pool... Above ground I assume...
    Take the top off to expose the liner. Pull the liner back a bit and sprinkle a high quality ant killer [granual] between the liner and wall. Preferably a product that contains diazinon. Then sprinkle a little water onto it. It'll slowly disolve and leach down to the ground. Problem solved... Repeat at the beginning of every season. Also, avery couple weeks or so, walk around the pool and spray the garden hose up under the cap so a little water gets between the liner and sides to keep disolving it.

And if you drain the pool down for the winter, go ahead and drain it nearly dry this fall. Pull the liner back and put a serious layer of the stuff at the base of the liner on the ground.

23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Aspartame (artificial sweeteners) and cornstarch are supposed to make short work on ants.Hope this helps!

24. That's very interesting. I currently keep 1 open box in each corner of the garage. I can't say I've ever felt the effects that are described there, but I'm never in there with the door closed, either. Looks like I'll be tossing them.
    Cripes, everything will kill you anymore........

25. dsr_54

dsr_54

Simple Green. Thanks for the tip.

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure about dogs or other pets, but on cats you definitely need to use Catillac-quer.

27. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My 24lb Himalayan would make one helluva paint roller- that ungrateful fat bastard could hold 2qts in his fuzz
    He'd turn into an instant buzzsaw though if you tried sticking that roller handle in his butt :eek::mad:

28. Man brother I feel your pain and it brings back BAD memories. My fine German sports car, O/T to say the least. Well turns out the ants like my AIR FRESHNER better than I did. In fact the LOVED it so much to invade and have thier little way my pride and joy. And invade they did. Thank GOD I found out what it was. Sure enough, changed the freshner, a couple of hours with a shop vac and no more ants. True Story, TR

29. rodhot

rodhot

I'm proud of my spelling. I'm laughing to hard now, bout pissed myself. Normally it's the microwave that does it.