Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is old age creeping up on us???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Minor hair splittin'....there are always exceptions but your example for someone who was 16 in 1972 is not even close to what I saw,heard,wanted or did. Cruising...yes. Idolizing the newest muscle(?)car? Nope, 55-57 Chevy's were still one of the most prevalent cars at the drag strip along with many 1930's to late 60's cars. Most car guys are reading car magazines long before they get their drivers license, so you wouldn't have wanted nor cared about the new muscle(?) cars of 1972(low comp, $$$$ and pregnant bumpers for 1973 were already being shown in the magazines. No... many kids(me included) wanted the cars that our young uncles, big brother or the "kid down the street" were driving or racing at the drag strip - which were the same cars we had been drooling over in the car/drag magazines for years before we received our beloved drivers license in 1972.

And disco in 1972? Never heard the word "disco" until 1974-75...Rock the boat/Hues Corp. - Rock your baby/George McCrae - Kung Fu fighting/Carl Douglas - Barry White etc. Sorry, getting carried away, man I loved the 70's! Anyway, no disco in 1972, as rock, motown/soul were doing just swell.:) And in 1973 American Graffiti came out and our way of life(which was great already) was changed forever.:D The 70's were like one long summer vacation....with more than a sprinkle of the 60's to influence us.

Sorry for the hair splittin' but I had to say these things because...well, it felt good.

BTW, is old age creeping up on us? ....:rolleyes:

Eddie

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. HotRod33

HotRod33

I am a 20 year old in a 55 year old body,,,, who the hell is that guy looking back in the mirror at me with the gray hair and beard.......? and if any of you really old guys want to adopt me and leave me your 32 ford that would be okay........

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When it becomes cheaper(more cost effective) to buy a restored Model A to build a hot rod out of you know "the times they are changin":rolleyes::D
    That and I completely agree with Harm's way.

Frank

4. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I will have a HAMB friendly vehicle before i graduate!:p

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

As the Deuce Coupe rumbles into Mels, Steve says to Curt,.... "You want to end up like John ?,... You just can't stay 17 forever !"

(Now think about this for a second,....that line was delivered 38 years ago)

[​IMG]

But,... we all give it a good run,.. don't we.....:D

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Damm I got old fast

7. I'm 42 and have seen this coming for some time. I'm almost always one of the young guys at the events I attend.

However, I don't think the 30s through 60s metal will ever become totally irrellevant. IMHO the reason for this is because these cars were put together by guys on assembly lines...with tools. And, a car put together this way can be taken apart and restored/modified and put back together by another guy with tools any number of times.

The opposite is true for cars from the late 70s and newer. They were put together more and more by robotic assembly lines and it is MUCH harder to take these cars apart and put them back together. This not only limits the number of guys who are willing to go through all that trouble, but it also makes the older, simpler stuff more attractive.

There will always be a subset of young dudes who drive and enjoy the 30s through 60s stuff....always.

My two cents....worth what you paid for it.

8. After a good B.M. there's nothing better than a nap!;)

9. lorodz

lorodz

i know what you mean johnny i just turned 32 today i go to the cruise nights tuesday,wednesday,thursday.all the guys leave by 9 30 and im least one out im like wtf happend to the races beeing set up or any other kinda action half the guys are on oxygen or have canes and the younger guys dont know whats up. im stuck in the middle i guess

10. rat deuce

rat deuce

Turned 55 last week, still skateboard between the house and the shop as often as I can
    Thinking about getting old is wasting precious time! Go do something!

11. SLCK64

SLCK64

Well if they all wouldnt get up at 5am... :D

About a month ago i was talking to my friend who used to drive a car for a Porsche sponsored team when he was in his early 20s(33 now). He said he'll never race again now that he has kids and a really really good job. He said theres a point where you loose that killer instinct and once you lose that you will never win again. Basically he said people reach a point where they have too much to lose if they get injured or killed in a race. Im sure thats why the 'old guys' dont race anymore. Plus cops are pigs and get hard ons for street racing.

12. boutlaw

boutlaw

Well, if I can ever finish the 31, I'm gonna run over my 17 year old son, at least that way, he'll know what the bottom side of a hot rod looks like.......
    just kidding of course, but it sure does seem that kids these days don;t give a crap about hot rods or getting dirty or building anything. When I was 13/14, I spent all the time I could with Mr. Watson, who was dragracing a 62 SS Dodge 413 crossram wedge. I would have slept in his garage if I could.
    Just to clarify, my youngest son is a brainiac, good kid, and will be succesful I am sure, but he will be paying for someone to check/change his oil.
    Yeah, I'm old, and my back hurts, and my hands are beat up, but I've got the best wife a man could ask for , great kids, a nice shop with a lift, and a couple of hot rods that I drive looking through an 18 year olds eyes. Lifes been good, but its streaking by now..........

13. JBurt

JBurt

14. old age has run over me to
    i do wish i never quit racing
    to hard to start again

whell maby wheel chairs at the rest home

15. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Yes we do.

Great picture - Great post.

Eddie

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The must be why the Broiler has 3 times the shitters than pissers :D.

17. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Would you say you're a "regular" there? :)

18. wow to think i was there

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yup, I have a weak 49 yr old bladder and there's never enough pissers when you drink beer :D.

20. got to love this guy.

21. 117harv

117harv

Quoting rat duece a few [posts above "Thinking about getting old is wasting precious time! Go do something! "

Doesn't someone have some new paint or fab pics to post? Anyone get a new ride? Anyone building a new traditional hotrod or custom that has a question?

Some threads stay up top, and great ones drop like flies:confused::mad:

Now say that my posting is bringing it back up.........come on.

22. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Actually, yes there are new paint and fab post's.
    Maybe you should read those.....

23. what the real bitch is... when old age nails you with the first of many knock out punches.

I love to work on my rides. I love to build my rides. Over the last two years old age has staked a claim to my knees, back, and shoulders. Two years ago I could spend all day in the shop, getting much built and done. Now I can spend the same amount of time in the shop, but the time is spent getting unstuck from some position I got myself into.

For me its even worse, because I get no kick out of driving or showing the car. To me the build is everything.

But.......... fuck it. I'll just build something I won't have to lean over. Glad I got those Dragster Engineering Chassis blueprints. I can always find some kid to drive the damn thing.

24. firingorder1

firingorder1

Old age has given a whole new meaning to "morning stiffy". I wake up and everything is stiff except............................

But despite old age beating the crap out of me I'm still heading to Bonneville to try and beat the crap out of a couple of records. Keep going and doing as much as you can. You'll be dead for a long time.

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Only joking the other day that people who I considered old when I was young were my parents and those older were my grandparents. Now I'm at the age where I considered that my parents were old, 50ish.:eek:

27. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'll be 73 in a couple of months, the best cure for old age IS a hot rod or antique car. Just slide behind the wheel makes me feel like 18 again.

28. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I prefer a good dollop of Preparation H.

29. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Hey Guys, I didn't intend to take away the whole forum. I was just posting an observation. But isn't it nice when you start a post that Soooo many of us are close to. I don't feel so left behind anymore.

After I sold my street rod panel truck a couple months ago. It took about three weeks before I went into withdrawl. Had to have another ride. Settled on an original 38 Ford. Love the style, the flathead, everything is so simple, etc. Hate, no a/c, power accessories, and 50/60 mph out on the freeway.

Anyone want to trade their hot rod for a nice stocker?

OH yeah, in case I didn't mention it, I'll be 79 in September.:eek:

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

At 51, I'm doing all right though I can feel age setting in. Played baseball with the kids at a family get together yesterday and am feeling it this morning.
    We went to a 7:30 movie Saturday night. Exiting the lobby at about 9:30, I 'm passed by a young couple going into the movies carrying Starbucks cups. I can't wait to get home and crash-while their night is just getting started, LOL!
    I'll always be messing with cars, just at a slower pace. When I retire and the kids are grown, I figure I may have more free hobby time but it will all be relative cause it'll probably take all day to do a 3 hour project.